Hein Road

Re: Hein Road

Postby Graphite » Aug 6th, 2016, 9:29 pm

Makes you wonder why Hein Rd gets so much attention while these other streets/neighborhoods are ignored. My old street did have several police raids while I lived there. Several homes were known dealers. The people would leave, there would be large shipping or dump containers there while the grow ops et al were cleaned out. But more dealers would just move in. Down the street or years later the same houses even. Crazy stuff would go on there like you wouldn't believe. One of the nut case homes even put up surveilance cameras at the front door. Since I left I have heard one of the homes became a meth lab and was busted. Who knows what else happens there but it looks even worse than when I left there. Some of the homes look like they should be condemned. Boarded up windows where people still clearly live in the homes and the yards are a nightmare.

So I have to question why Hein is such a focus in the media when all these other places exist. Murders happen on other roads. Crime happens on other roads. Drugs and street fights happen on other roads.

littlemisscheerful likes this post.
Graphite
Übergod

Liked in: 177 posts

Postby JayByrd » Aug 6th, 2016, 10:38 pm

Graphite wrote:So I have to question why Hein is such a focus in the media when all these other places exist. Murders happen on other roads. Crime happens on other roads. Drugs and street fights happen on other roads.

I don't think the media ignores crime in other neighbourhoods, but Castanet in particular has made a point of using "Rutland" in a headline when an incident happens there, but not in other areas of the city. Rutland is a buzzword because of it's (mostly undeserved) reputation. It catches people's eye, whether they love the area or look down their noses at it. Likewise, Hein Rd. has a reputation (mostly deserved) and is known throughout the city. They'll make sure to use that in the headline if it applies.

"Rutland shooting" brings all kinds of things to mind, which may or may not apply to any particular event.

"Glenmore shooting" brings to mind, well, nothing.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.

2 people like this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1208 posts

Postby Graham Adder » Aug 6th, 2016, 10:53 pm

Part of the problem with Rutland carrying a bad reputation for so long, is the people that live there celebrating it.
Stickers in their back windows, on their bumpers or tailgates stating "Straight outta Rutland" doesn't help the image one bit.
I've spoken with many blue collars from Rutland that speak of it as some sort of proving ground. As though if you aren't from Rutland or live in Rutland, then you don't know what tough is.
Change starts at home, Rutland.
If you want it bad enough, you need to step up the community game.

3 people like this post.
Graham Adder
Guru

Liked in: 912 posts

Postby Queen K » Aug 6th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Okay, ya, I saw one of those "Straight outta Rutland" signs on the back of a big a$$ truck and thought, so since I'm straight outta Kelowna does that make me a super rich *bleep* with no problems?
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12099 posts

Postby Graphite » Aug 6th, 2016, 11:51 pm

Yea cause out of all the residents in Rutland they all wave those dumbs stickers around. Riiigghhhtt.

Lovelylockz likes this post.
Graphite
Übergod

Postby Graphite » Aug 7th, 2016, 12:04 am

Change starts at home. Give me a break. Stickers are preventing change? Your post is so offensive I don't even know where to start. Also who cares who you talked to. It's not like they are the spokespeople of Rutland. Did they have badges and wave flags? Was there an ambassador parade you attended? Everywhere you go you will find people with personal opinions and as we all know a handfull of society does not represent the whole. Speaking of creating change, did you attempt to correct them or just laugh along in agreement? Maybe we need thought police block watchers in Rutland to run around saying "ssshhh don't talk about Rutland like that and take those stickers off your car!!". Perhaps the reality is that people should stop being prejudical media influenced sheep and start thinking for themselves.

2 people like this post.
Graphite
Übergod

Postby JayByrd » Aug 7th, 2016, 7:36 am

I always took the "Straight Outta Rutland" thing as a playful, thumbing of the nose to the rest of town. If you're going to look down on us, we'll embrace it, since it's already us against them. They'd rather forge their own identity, than try and earn the approval of the yacht club crowd.

Maybe I'm wrong though.
Last edited by JayByrd on Aug 7th, 2016, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.

6 people like this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1208 posts

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Aug 7th, 2016, 8:01 am

There is a reason Rutland has the reputation it does. It has had that reputation since I moved to the Kelowna area in the early 70's. Nothing has changed in over forty years in regards to Rutland's reputation and it isn't going to change anytime soon. Rutland has always had certain groups or individuals that see it's reputation as being cool and some kind of bad *bleep* symbol. Yes there are more good people in Rutland then there are bad, unfortunately the bad draws the negative media attention that keeps Rutland's less than desirable reputation alive and well.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Liked in: 3114 posts

Postby MAPearce » Aug 7th, 2016, 8:29 am

I think it's a "per capita" thing...

There's more slime per person on that street than on any other street anywhere in this city . All you have to do is drive down it to see for yourselves.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3623 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 7th, 2016, 9:05 am

imo you clean up hein road from the criminals and scum landlords and rultland becomes just as nice as any other area,like the link i posted hein rd had has over 200 rcmp calls in one year :200: :200:
Last edited by the truth on Aug 7th, 2016, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5175 posts

Postby phasyluck » Aug 7th, 2016, 9:34 am

There's also more late 70s Camaros per capita on Hein Rd, I think it's mandatory to have one in you're yard.
Sure do love Rutland!!

2 people like this post.
phasyluck
Übergod

Liked in: 654 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Aug 7th, 2016, 9:53 am

Hey, don't knock the classic cars! :laugh:

Seriously though, the landlords AND tenants of that place need to clean it up.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3706 posts

Postby Graham Adder » Aug 7th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Graphite wrote:Change starts at home. Give me a break. Stickers are preventing change? Your post is so offensive I don't even know where to start.

You're sporting the tag on your bumper aren't ya?
:135:

Lovelylockz likes this post.
Graham Adder
Guru

Liked in: 912 posts

Postby normaM » Aug 7th, 2016, 4:55 pm

The tag a joke is all
Prolly more gangstas in the Mission
I like Rutland, bad rep.. everyone needs some place/person/ to try to feel superior to, I wish it would just become Kelowna without the addy stigma
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey

2 people like this post.
normaM
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1952 posts

Postby W105 » Aug 7th, 2016, 6:37 pm

maybe get rid of that "infamous family" (mentioned on pg 1) and then get Bylaw in there kicking a$$ to all home owners and landlords, time to upgrade...

Rutland is a great place to live !!

3 people like this post.
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2697 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan