Cyclist rushed to the hospital

JennParker

Re: Cyclist rushed to the hospital

Post by JennParker »

I think I already know the answer to this, but I really need clarification from the cyclists on here who actually know the rules.

Are bike lanes on roads subject to the same rules as cars? On more than one occasion I have nearly hit a cyclist who is riding down the wrong side of the road. It's always at the same place too. I am merging into traffic, and while I always check the bike lane for bikes heading in the direction of traffic... I have yet to form the habit of looking the opposite way before proceeding. Honestly I am too busy trying not the hit the distracted drivers, the drivers who are lost, the ones who cannot signal, and the ones who cannot stay in their lane.

What are the rules for this? A car driving on the wrong side of the road is subject to some pretty narly fines. Are cyclists supposed to ride with traffic? Who would be at fault if an accident occurred?
SteWe
Fledgling

Post by SteWe »

took a while in this thread to be brought up (2nd page half way down), but 82 and driving a big vehicle is a recipe for disaster. I don't get it. I see so many 80 somethings here struggle to get out of their cars, so reaction times in general can't be all that great. Why still do it?
spooker

Post by spooker »

Lady tehMa wrote:I think it is everyone's responsibility to watch out. As I've mentioned before, when I moved to Kelowna my Dad's advice to me was "drive like everyone is trying to kill you." I have applied that to cycling and walking as well. And it has saved my butt on more than one occasion.

EVERYONE needs to watch and be aware; whether driving, cycling or walking.

I understand where you're coming from ... but it's like saying "all lives matter" ... you're not acknowledging the problem that cyclists face on a daily basis ... everyone knows what they "should" do, but not everybody does it ... that's the problem we need to address ... while the drivers occupy the majority of the space shouldn't they bear the majority of the responsibility? (I say this in full awareness that I am a driver too and have to pratice what I preach)

JennParker wrote:Are bike lanes on roads subject to the same rules as cars? On more than one occasion I have nearly hit a cyclist who is riding down the wrong side of the road. It's always at the same place too. I am merging into traffic, and while I always check the bike lane for bikes heading in the direction of traffic... I have yet to form the habit of looking the opposite way before proceeding. Honestly I am too busy trying not the hit the distracted drivers, the drivers who are lost, the ones who cannot signal, and the ones who cannot stay in their lane.

What are the rules for this? A car driving on the wrong side of the road is subject to some pretty narly fines. Are cyclists supposed to ride with traffic? Who would be at fault if an accident occurred?

A cyclist going against traffic is in the wrong ... I play chicken with too many of these idiots ...
kelbear25
Fledgling

Post by kelbear25 »

think I already know the answer to this, but I really need clarification from the cyclists on here who actually know the rules.

Are bike lanes on roads subject to the same rules as cars? On more than one occasion I have nearly hit a cyclist who is riding down the wrong side of the road. It's always at the same place too. I am merging into traffic, and while I always check the bike lane for bikes heading in the direction of traffic... I have yet to form the habit of looking the opposite way before proceeding. Honestly I am too busy trying not the hit the distracted drivers, the drivers who are lost, the ones who cannot signal, and the ones who cannot stay in their lane.

Cyclists are traffic and need to ride the same direction as car traffic. However PLEASE develop the habit of looking BOTH ways before proceeding- Pedestrians (and yes cyclists not following the rules) could come from either direction.
I would encourage all drivers to spend time as a cyclist and pedestrian in high traffic areas so you can develop that perspective and understand the hazards cyclists and pedestrians face and drive more defensively.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

spooker wrote:Yes, if the car is ahead and has enough room then it has the right to make it's move ...

Exactly, but the way your one posted reference was written, there is almost a contradictory sense of right of way. The one sentence it says the motorist must yield to the cyclist then in the next sentence it says the opposite ...

Drivers doing so are making a lane change and must yield to cycle traffic in the bicycle lane before moving over! In this situation, the cyclist must wait behind the vehicle until after the turn is made to clear the cycle lan

... now, most of us can figure this out but its rules written like this that simply add to the confusion.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Dizzy1 wrote:Exactly, but the way your one posted reference was written, there is almost a contradictory sense of right of way. The one sentence it says the motorist must yield to the cyclist then in the next sentence it says the opposite ...

... now, most of us can figure this out but its rules written like this that simply add to the confusion.

Had to read it over a few times to figure out how you were getting confused from it ... the first sentence describes the responsibility of the driver to make sure the bike lane is clear before moving over to "take the bike lane" for their right turn and then it specifies that as long as the driver has safely moved into the bike lane they need to wait patiently behind the car until it turns ...

I read it the same as when a car would move into the HOV lane from the centre lane on Harvey to make a right and the situation for the driver who is already in the HOV lane ...
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

spooker wrote:
Had to read it over a few times to figure out how you were getting confused from it

No confusion on my part - just from others in previous discussions.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JennParker

Post by JennParker »

Kelbear, the only issue with having to look both ways before merging is... I am at a pretty high risk of being rear ended by someone who is also expecting a smooth merge. I admit that I am not conditioned to look for cyclists heading in the opposite direction... Not every place I have lived has bike lanes. Hence the reason I am asking.

Maybe that is something that cyclists also need to rememeber, many drivers have never had to be so aware of the rules as bike lanes are relatively new for many of us. Extra precaution on all of our parts is a good thing.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby JennParker » Today, 3:06 pm

Maybe that is something that cyclists also need to rememeber, many drivers have never had to be so aware of the rules as bike lanes are relatively new for many of us.

It will take time and no doubt an additional number of injuries for drivers to get used to having to check all directions for potential trouble. People who have continued to practice their defensive driving skills will have little problem but I fear defensive driving is, for the most part, a lost art.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Jenn almost all rear enders are the fault of the person behind..
Motorists are only to proceed, when it IS SAFE to do so...
If you constantly scan the roadway ahead if you, any change will usually be quite noticeable..
I usually look out a few hundred feet ahead, as well as the sides of the road..both sides..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
JennParker

Post by JennParker »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Jenn almost all rear enders are the fault of the person behind..
Motorists are only to proceed, when it IS SAFE to do so...
If you constantly scan the roadway ahead if you, any change will usually be quite noticeable..
I usually look out a few hundred feet ahead, as well as the sides of the road..both sides..

When you have right of way, say a green light, and are entering the right turn lane... Having to stop for someone on a bicycle who is going against the flow of traffic is a recipe for disaster, regardless of who isn't paying attention. The place I am talking about has lights that control each direction of traffic individually. Do you really believe that I should suffer being rear ended because someone has issues with traffic laws?

I like how you emphasize the word SAFE, yet completely fail to mention the SAFETY issue with the person heading the wrong way.
Maybe if the rules of the road were followed by both vehicles and cyclists, everyone getting home in one piece would be the end result.

I was more curious of the legal side of cyclists on the wrong side of the road... I will do my best to make sure everyone gets home SAFELY... But if someone doesn't want to do their best to ensure their safety, that's on them... not me.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

JennParker wrote:
When you have right of way, say a green light, and are entering the right turn lane... Having to stop for someone on a bicycle who is going against the flow of traffic is a recipe for disaster, regardless of who isn't paying attention. The place I am talking about has lights that control each direction of traffic individually. Do you really believe that I should suffer being rear ended because someone has issues with traffic laws?

So if that's the way you drive then would you not stop for a pedestrian in the crosswalk either?
If you mean a cyclist on the roadway going in the wrong direction it is still up to you not to enter the lane until safe to do so no matter what everyone else is doing. Two wrongs don't make a right.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

If the way you are going is obstructed, then its not safe/clear to proceed.
It could be a child, animal, tree branch, something that fell, off a truck. Or something else..

You have brake lights and signals, I assume..that is what they are for .
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Bsuds » Today, 7:17 am

So if that's the way you drive then would you not stop for a pedestrian in the crosswalk either?

WADR a bicycle is required to obey the rules of the road for a vehicle. A pedestrian does not. The "traffic" requirements for a vehicle (includes a bicycle) and a pedestrian are completely different.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Donald G wrote:
WADR a bicycle is required to obey the rules of the road for a vehicle. A pedestrian does not. The "traffic" requirements for a vehicle (includes a bicycle) and a pedestrian are completely different.

You missed the point. The poster gave the impression that because the cyclist was not following the rules of the road that they would proceed and didn't care if the cyclist was hit.

What if a pedestrian was walking against a light, would they hit them too!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Central Okanagan”