Cyclist rushed to the hospital

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Cyclist rushed to the hospital

Post by Symbonite »

spooker wrote:In this case the bicycle had the right of way since he was going straight on a green while the driver was making a left on the green ...

I remember in school that they said you had to dismount and walk across the cross walk then you can get on your bike....when did this change? I guess if they change it back then bikers wont be in these accidents....

Also shes 80...time for mandatory license/medical retests for 65+
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby Symbonite » 10 minutes ago

I remember in school that they said you had to dismount and walk across the cross walk then you can get on your bike....when did this change?

Bicycle lanes changed the situation. Bicycle lanes did not change the law that cyclists had to walk their bicycles when using a pedestrian crosswalk to cross the street. In Kelowna it is common to see bicycles use the bicycle lanes between crosswalks and RIDE their bicycles across the intersection using the pedestrian crosswalk.

IMO what they are doing in using the crosswalk to RIDE their bicycles across an intersection where there is a bicycle lane is illegal.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Donald G wrote:Bicycle lanes changed the situation. Bicycle lanes did not change the law that cyclists had to walk their bicycles when using a pedestrian crosswalk to cross the street. In Kelowna it is common to see bicycles use the bicycle lanes between crosswalks and RIDE their bicycles across the intersection using the pedestrian crosswalk.

IMO what they are doing in using the crosswalk to RIDE their bicycles across an intersection where there is a bicycle lane is illegal.

This is exactly what cyclists need to clean up before pointing the finger at drivers. Walk across intersections, not on sidewalks where bike lanes exist, ride in the proper direction and most of all "wear a freakin helmet". Doing all of that would reduce incidents and deaths, considerably.

Drivers need to abide by the rules as well; its just that simple.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby spooker » Aug 11th, 2016, 4:40 pm

The city has designed a bi-directional bike lane for Sutherland and then drivers would have to remember to look back over their left shoulder to check for a cyclist coming from behind as they made a left turn ... how do you feel about that?

I can not fathom how the City could make a Bi-directional bike lane on any street when the Provincial Motor Vehicle states that a cyclist must obey all of the laws of a motor vehicle and that a bicycle rider MUST ride to the extreme right of any roadway, excluding the gravel shoulder of the roadway on a paved roadway.

Can you or anyone else clarify what both the movement of the bicycle and the vehicle that came into contact were making at the intersection and what the lane markings were ?? I had thought that the car and bicycle both approached the intersection from the same direction and the contact was made when the vehicle turned right while the bicycle, which was travelling straight through in a marked bicycle lane located to the immediate right of the right hand turning lane that the vehicle was travelling in.

Where does the left turn come into the picture ?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

pentona wrote:
This is exactly what cyclists need to clean up before pointing the finger at drivers. Walk across intersections, not on sidewalks where bike lanes exist, ride in the proper direction and most of all "wear a freakin helmet". Doing all of that would reduce incidents and deaths, considerably.

Drivers need to abide by the rules as well; its just that simple.

I refuse to stop my vehicle for riders switching from vehicle to using a crosswalk against a do not walk signal. I almost struck one the other day because she did this. It is in need of enforcement. The reason they do this is so they can avoid stopping for a red light! Need to be enforced and it might reduce accidents with car/truck vs. bike.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Ken7 wrote:
I refuse to stop my vehicle for riders switching from vehicle to using a crosswalk against a do not walk signal. I almost struck one the other day because she did this. It is in need of enforcement. The reason they do this is so they can avoid stopping for a red light! Need to be enforced and it might reduce accidents with car/truck vs. bike.

I agree, and I bet the cyclist was wearing spandex? Likely in training for a race; wired on coffee and no patience to stop at the light. If they want drivers to not hit them, they have to abide by all the rules of the road, period.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

spooker wrote: I always try to explain to other cyclists that when passing vehicles on the right before an intersection you have to be paranoid for the driver who is going to turn right ...

You should tell them to learn how to ride better. As a cyclist, you shouldn't be passing anyone on the right at an intersection. Yes there are TONS of bad drivers and most of them don't watch for cyclists... but almost every cyclist I've ever seen just rides up to or through intersections like they don't have any rules/laws.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Donald G wrote:BICYCLE RULES IN MOST STATES OF THE USA (NOTE SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT LAWS FOR GOING STRAIGHT THROUGH AN INTERSECTION)

http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/chapter3a.htm

I would definitely never tell anyone to go to that site ... and none of it deals with situations where bike lanes exist ...

The only thing it does is cover well the idea that you need to position yourself to communicate where you are going to the rest of traffic ...

I loved the "Bicycling Street Smarts is copyright © 1988, 2001" ... I don't think they did anything in 2001 to update it except to many make it web-accessible ...
spooker

Post by spooker »

Donald G wrote:I can not fathom how the City could make a Bi-directional bike lane on any street when the Provincial Motor Vehicle states that a cyclist must obey all of the laws of a motor vehicle and that a bicycle rider MUST ride to the extreme right of any roadway, excluding the gravel shoulder of the roadway on a paved roadway.

Bi-directional bike lanes are by necessity separated from motorized traffic. You can find them many places in downtown Vancouver, but the caveat is that they're always along one-way streets so that the cyclists are visible to right-turning drivers. And usually it has "no right turn on red" so that collisions can be avoided with signal phasing (separate signals for cars vs bikes)

Donald G wrote:Can you or anyone else clarify what both the movement of the bicycle and the vehicle that came into contact were making at the intersection and what the lane markings were ?? I had thought that the car and bicycle both approached the intersection from the same direction and the contact was made when the vehicle turned right while the bicycle, which was travelling straight through in a marked bicycle lane located to the immediate right of the right hand turning lane that the vehicle was travelling in. Where does the left turn come into the picture ?

The accident happened because the driver made a left turn in front of the cyclist. They were coming from opposing directions.

fvkasm2x wrote:You should tell them to learn how to ride better. As a cyclist, you shouldn't be passing anyone on the right at an intersection. Yes there are TONS of bad drivers and most of them don't watch for cyclists... but almost every cyclist I've ever seen just rides up to or through intersections like they don't have any rules/laws.

And how do you react to someone telling you how to drive better? It's hit and miss when I try to explain to other cyclists how to keep themselves safer. I pass on the right of cars, I do it as safely as possible by making sure not to put myself into a position to get right-hooked and being patient when I see someone with a turn signal blinking. How is it any different from a car passing traffic in the centre lane on Harvey when driving in the HOV lane? Yes, you can more safely assume that someone won't make a right from that lane but there's no guarantees.

pentona wrote:and most of all "wear a freakin helmet"

I agree, and I bet the cyclist was wearing spandex? Likely in training for a race; wired on coffee and no patience to stop at the light. If they want drivers to not hit them, they have to abide by all the rules of the road, period.

I call "trolling" ... you can't be this disagreeable in real life ...
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

This cyclist partially agrees - cyclists who try to act like pedestrians at crosswalks just to beat a light infuriate me! Unless you're a kid, or have good reason to cross, just remain a vehicle on the road thanks. But, I don't think will reduce accidents, and I also think you'd be at fault should an accident occur (where you refused to stop and the pedestrian proceeded into the intersection).

I agree, and I bet the cyclist was wearing spandex? Likely in training for a race; wired on coffee and no patience to stop at the light.

Sorry - this doesn't sound like a spandex rider's move, more like a commuter's move.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

As a cyclist, you shouldn't be passing anyone on the right at an intersection. Yes there are TONS of bad drivers and most of them don't watch for cyclists... but almost every cyclist I've ever seen just rides up to or through intersections like they don't have any rules/laws.

If there is a bike lane you are entitled to ride on the right, to the intersection. The bike lane qualifies as a LANE.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby spooker » Today, 4:17 pm

The accident happened because the driver made a left turn in front of the cyclist. They were coming from opposing directions.

Thanks for the explanation spooker.

If, as you say, the vehicle was turning left and the bicycle was oncoming through the green light at the intersection it sounds like the driver of the vehicle is facing one hell of a bill.

Another "invisible" bicycle gets hit by a blind driver.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

marooned wrote:
If there is a bike lane you are entitled to ride on the right, to the intersection. The bike lane qualifies as a LANE.

It's already been covered a couple pages ago with a nice fancy image...

But there are rules regarding that lane at intersections. I don't remember seeing anyone ever actually follow those laws in 21 years of driving, which was the point of my post.

Perhaps 1) Read up on those lane laws for bikes and 2) Actually comprehend what I am saying regarding cyclists and those lanes
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby fvkasm2x » 1 minute ago

But there are rules regarding that lane at intersections. I don't remember seeing anyone ever actually follow those laws in 21 years of driving, which was the point of my post.

I would agree with you during the period of time shortly after the bicycle lanes were put in. There are still many vehicle drivers and cyclists who do not appear to know the rules of the road but IMO there are more people complying with the vehicle vs bicycle rules than there used to be.

Perhaps I am an optimist but the biggest problem today seems to be the right shoulder check at intersections and invisible bicycles.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Donald G wrote:
optimist

I don't know the meaning of the word? lol

Return to “Central Okanagan”