Rock The Lake (Kelowna)

Whyme2
Übergod

Rock The Lake (Kelowna)

Post by Whyme2 »

Curious to know how it's been the last couple of days from people who have attended. :D
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Rock The Lake (Kelowna)

Post by JayByrd »

I'm mostly curious about how people handled the heat. A summer evening, out on the pavement. I read one Facebook comment complaining about umbrellas (used to create some shade) blocking the view of the people in the back.

Apparently from the event side it's been a success, as they're already selling tickets for the 2017 edition. They haven't even announced any bands yet!
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

was there I had a great time with the wife and teen kids, kids even said hey this 80's stuff is not bad lol *removed* will be going to 2017 also :up:

off topic really ???
Last edited by the truth on Aug 14th, 2016, 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

the truth wrote:was there I had a great time with the wife and teen kids, kids even said hey this 80's stuff is not bad lol *removed* will be going to 2017 also :up:

Great to hear!! I hope it was a success and continued, you can't beat the oldies! Sadly, the bands too won't all be around for ever.
Kguy

Post by Kguy »

I absolutely HATE this Rock the lake thing. I live on Bertram and Cawston and this "music" is driving me nuts. I am currently listening to this crap and baking in my house because I cannot open my windows to cool down.

I was born in the early 70's and I don't wish to relieve this era. I am not a music hater by any means but at the same time I have a right to quiet enjoyment, much like everyone else.

Have your concert by all means but please have it in the arena or at least turn the volume down. It is bad enough that my neighbours blast thier music at all hours, now this, come on people!

With loud events eg. Knox Mountain Hill Climb, nearby residents are offered free tickets, I really don't want them but the gesture would be good. I have migraine headaches as it is and I have no escape from this head splitting noise. I wish they would have polled residents first, before they brought this here, not even Centre of Gravity was anywhere near this loud.

Thanks a lot Kelowna, another fail for residents!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Kguy wrote:I absolutely HATE this Rock the lake thing. I live on Bertram and Cawston and this "music" is driving me nuts. I am currently listening to this crap and baking in my house because I cannot open my windows to cool down.

I was born in the early 70's and I don't wish to relieve this era. I am not a music hater by any means but at the same time I have a right to quiet enjoyment, much like everyone else.

Have your concert by all means but please have it in the arena or at least turn the volume down. It is bad enough that my neighbours blast thier music at all hours, now this, come on people!

With loud events eg. Knox Mountain Hill Climb, nearby residents are offered free tickets, I really don't want them but the gesture would be good. I have migraine headaches as it is and I have no escape from this head splitting noise. I wish they would have polled residents first, before they brought this here, not even Centre of Gravity was anywhere near this loud.

Must be just terrible. I'd packed up and gone for a walk or drive to get away. It was not 24 hours a day. Seems anything anyone does in this City it is shot down, I have to ask can you not tolerate people having some fun.... I too was born in the 60's I like that music. Sorry to hear if was so trying for you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

removed. Re-read the post.
Last edited by the truth on Aug 14th, 2016, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

Kguy wrote:I absolutely HATE this Rock the lake thing. I live on Bertram and Cawston and this "music" is driving me nuts. I am currently listening to this crap and baking in my house because I cannot open my windows to cool down.

other people paid good money and you got it for free. i would be happy
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

i remember seeing drive through movies with no sound. and i used to think -SCORE!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It's not as if this was a surprise concert, everyone knew last November. You could have planned a weekend camping out of town or something else.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
spooker

Post by spooker »

As another who heard it every time I opened my window, so what ... the traffic down the street next to my house is more annoying than this ... and I have to deal with COG too, which is about the same distance away ...

I'm glad that it has had the success that it did ... and I'll go out and do something away from home if I get too worried ... heck, firing up my table saw will drown it out and I'll have something to show for the effort ...

And as another who grew up in the 70's, I can still sing along with it all ...
Kguy

Post by Kguy »

My point in my first post was that it was so loud, had feedback that was horrible and made it were I couldn't open my windows to cool down because of the noise level.

I was BORN in 1973, NOT rocking out in the 70's. Everyone has their own taste in music and this is not mine. However enjoy if that is what you like but just turn the volume down and face the stage towards the lake, the echoing and feedback were so bad it was reverberating against my house as well as the apartment building behind me.

Maybe they should have it in spring when it is not so hot, I was baking. I don't have air conditioning and I live on Disability and cannot afford to go "away" either.

I was born here and this town is so backwards, why not have modern music and stop living in the past? A better idea would be to mix old school music with up to date music and have periodic breaks to make things more bearable.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Kguy wrote:My point in my first post was that it was so loud, had feedback that was horrible and made it were I couldn't open my windows to cool down because of the noise level.

I was BORN in 1973, NOT rocking out in the 70's. Everyone has their own taste in music and this is not mine. However enjoy if that is what you like but just turn the volume down and face the stage towards the lake, the echoing and feedback were so bad it was reverberating against my house as well as the apartment building behind me.

Maybe they should have it in spring when it is not so hot, I was baking. I don't have air conditioning and I live on Disability and cannot afford to go "away" either.

I was born here and this town is so backwards, why not have modern music and stop living in the past? A better idea would be to mix old school music with up to date music and have periodic breaks to make things more bearable.

I can see where the noise levels would have been increased due to the stage and speakers facing town instead of the lake...and I was confused right from the start why on earth they would hold a concert in a bloody parking lot with all of the green space in town.

But....that's where we will have to end our agreement.

Why not have modern music ????
Uh.....Centre of Gravity ring a bell ?

Mix old school music with up to date music ??
The main target group for this particular concert are those who wanted to go to listen to old school music...and re-live the concerts they went to in high school. They didn't pay to hear up to date music.

Everyone enjoys different types of music...not every concert can or should be there to cater to each and every genre or taste.

It was one weekend. It's over for another year.
It's just one of the things that need to be considered when you live right down town - there will be events and many of those events will produce noise.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Apparently you haven't taken notice that the various events held throughout the summer don't cater to every demographic each time.

I could name you a whole bunch of things that I personally have no use for, however I don't mind others going there and having fun. I simply make myself scarce those times and go do something else.

As others have indicated it's not as though the event was sprung upon you out of the blue, as there was plenty of advance notice.

If you cherish peace and quiet in the summer you sure as heck picked the wrong place to live. LOL
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Kguy, you were born in the 70s but I'm afraid you sound 90.

Unless you've bought your house or condo, why not start looking for a new area to move to because these once or twice a year events planned each and every year are just that, annual.

Makes me think if NIMBY was the real reason Kelowna doesn't even have a parade anymore. All those Bernard/Martin Ave people complaining about the Regatta parade down their street and the people there, yearly.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”