Kelowna businesses are struggling to find skilled employees

jasond_71
Board Meister

Re: Kelowna businesses are struggling to find skilled employ

Post by jasond_71 »

Well here are 37 more skilled laborers looking for work in Kelowna, welders, machinists, mechanics, office workers.
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#173632

And the comments about France Italy etc make me laugh. They have massive debt because they treat their workers too well. There has to be a balance. Municipalities in California are bankrupt because they gave too good of incentives to police and firemen.
There has to be a balance.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Talking about balance means nothing unless you address the size of and where the fulcrum needs to be placed.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

I wonder if our Silicon Valley North has the same problem as the U.S. Silicon Valley.
Homeless guys working for the biggest tech and computer companies.

Cost f housing too high for them.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/high-ren ... -vehicles/
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

westside105 wrote:hey man, I was only just saying what I saw on the documentary, and it was about Italy not Greece where it's a crapfest..

and really what is so wrong about an employer caring about making their employees happy and being just and fair to them ???? one would think they do so because it creates better productivity and long term employees....

I realize that. Did you take my complaints about the documentary as a complaint about your post?

There's nothing wrong with an employer caring. My point being that caring to the point of essentially working 1/2 days like some of the places mentioned in that documentary has big consequences. It's not possible for people to work 1/2 as much yet still have all of the money/benefits as people who work full time.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

averagejoe wrote:Naaa the students are to busy living off their student loans. Don't need to work.... :130:

They are the educated ones out there looking for work, along with hundreds of others, to pay off their student loans. They are over qualified and it seems under qualified for whatever but wanting to work and apply for anything and everything.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Who the hell would want to go back to work after a two hour lunch?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

In this economy, doesn't matter white or blue collar, you gotta have street skills [icon_lol2.gif]
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby whatwhat » Aug 17th, 2016, 3:36 pm

We are constantly told (even on these forums) that if you can't afford to live here then move. And it seems to be that is exactly what the "younger" generations are doing.

As people all across the world have been doing for at least the last few thousand years if you research the history of the various Bronze and Iron and "hunter gatherer" industries in early Europe.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Donald G wrote:As people all across the world have been doing for at least the last few thousand years if you research the history of the various Bronze and Iron and "hunter gatherer" industries in early Europe.

WADR Donald, it is a little different in this day and age. Moving where the resources you need (medical care, child care, schooling, services for disabilities and mental illness etc) isn't always where the jobs are. More social services tend to be available in larger cities, where it may be more expensive to live. But without living in the larger cities, you won't be able to obtain the services you need. Catch 22.

Back in the hunter and gatherer eras, people moved where the resources (food, water, shelter) were, now a days life is A LOT more complicated, and more resources are needed to sustain life. The theory of comparing modern day life to life thousands of years ago doesn't always work out in reality.

And my main point in my original post was don't tell people to leave and then complain when they do.
hail Satan y'all
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby whatwhat » 26 minutes ago

And my main point in my original post was don't tell people to leave and then complain when they do.

We can agree on that much of your comment. It depends on what each individual persons priorities in life are and their financial situation is as to whether they should stay or leave. Those who should definitely leave are the ones who complain that employers in the Okanagan do not pay enough.

The more you go "off of the beaten track" to find acceptable employment the more self sufficient you have to be. IMO it has always been that way.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Who the hell would want to go back to work after a two hour lunch?

Having a username mexicalidreamer one would think you would be very familiar with the two hour lunch. [icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “Central Okanagan”