Another well paying Kelowna company bites the dust

lightspeed
Guru

Re: Another well paying Kelowna company bites the dust

Post by lightspeed »

There are a lot of Neanderthals in the patch, granted. But that is only because the patch consists of a lot of workers.

But as a percentage of the whole, Neanderthals are a small part of the oil and gas industry.

Good, honest, hard working, family people are a substantial part of those affected by AB and BC's decline.

Many of you won't be happy until we are all owned by the Chinese, bossed by the NDP communists, paid min wage, and commuting on $100 bicycles in black pyjamas.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Agree 100%.

I don't revel in someone else's misfortune, but at the same time it's very difficult for me to be sympathetic toward folk who made huge amounts of money, and opted to fritter it away on stupid stuff, behaving as though there will never be any bad times, then when the bad times hit, the average folk are supposed to suck it up and help them out.

The auto industry comes to mind too when we had to help them out after the 08 crash.

Now what's going to happen, and probably already is, is with all those neanderthals from the oil patch walking away from their financial obligations, be it homes, Ford F350's, 20' boats, 4 snowmobiles, and who knows what else, the financial institutions are going to recoup their losses from the rest of us.

So again we get to subsidize overpaid short sighted buffoons. That part ticks me off.

vegas1500 wrote:
So all oil patch workers are Neanderthals and buffoons....please let me know what industry you are in so I can generalize and call them names also.... Very grown up of you.

Touchy???

Let's not be so quickly on the defensive and comprehend what's been written.

It's fairly clear that I was talking about the ones who lived high on the hog while times were good, then simply walked away from their obligations when times got tough, so now the rest of us get to pick up the pieces, and yes those are buffoons.

I'm not talking about the ones smart enough to plan for a rainy day.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Knowing the City of Kelowna does not really want any manufacturing anyway, they should be happy another one is gone.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

*removed* unless you were in the know with the owners you are just guessing, and that does not make you right. :130:
Last edited by ferri on Aug 19th, 2016, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

GordonH wrote:Knowing the City of Kelowna does not really want any manufacturing anyway, they should be happy another one is gone.

Funny you mention that...

Rumor has it that the city turned down a rezoning application for a hotel chain to build on that site..

Now , while I won't reveal my sources , I had some information that the owner of Enterprise had struck a deal with Marriot to purchase the lot so Marriot could build two towers on the site .. That was in June when the owner had decided two shut the doors after the no vote on the reduction of wages .. Yesterday I heard from a not so reliable source that city council had turned down the rezoning application and that the land is still for sale at 11 million bucks..

While I trust the source that said Marriot was going to buy it , I don't trust the source that said the city denied a rezoning application .. The city is just as greedy as any one else .

My bet it has more to due with site remediation.. Anyway , look for another hotel that pays minimum wage while charging a premium for what ever it offers on that site very soon ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

vegas1500 wrote:So all oil patch workers are Neanderthals and buffoons....please let me know what industry you are in so I can generalize and call them names also.... Very grown up of you.

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Touchy???

Let's not be so quickly on the defensive and comprehend what's been written.

It's fairly clear that I was talking about the ones who lived high on the hog while times were good, then simply walked away from their obligations when times got tough, so now the rest of us get to pick up the pieces, and yes those are buffoons.

I'm not talking about the ones smart enough to plan for a rainy day.

Not really...except when people can't comprehend their own posts...and post out of jealousy.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 19th, 2016, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quotes fixed.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

*Removed
Last edited by Frisk on Aug 19th, 2016, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Aug 21st, 2016, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

*Removed
Last edited by Frisk on Aug 19th, 2016, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Take the bickering to private messages, please. Keep that off the main forum.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

*removed* you don't respond, you report!
Last edited by ferri on Aug 20th, 2016, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

vegas1500 wrote:So all oil patch workers are Neanderthals and buffoons....please let me know what industry you are in so I can generalize and call them names also.... Very grown up of you.

face it vegas. no one feels sorry for overpaid albertans not working now. so called "overpaid comfortable union workers" are derided and mocked at every turn along with the ndp. and now albertans know how it feels to lose a way of life. its actually poetic justice. albertans bust unions - then they lose non union jobs and feel the pinch too.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

MAPearce wrote:Funny you mention that...

Rumor has it that the city turned down a rezoning application for a hotel chain to build on that site..

Now , while I won't reveal my sources , I had some information that the owner of Enterprise had struck a deal with Marriot to purchase the lot so Marriot could build two towers on the site .. That was in June when the owner had decided two shut the doors after the no vote on the reduction of wages .. Yesterday I heard from a not so reliable source that city council had turned down the rezoning application and that the land is still for sale at 11 million bucks..

While I trust the source that said Marriot was going to buy it , I don't trust the source that said the city denied a rezoning application .. The city is just as greedy as any one else .

My bet it has more to due with site remediation.. Anyway , look for another hotel that pays minimum wage while charging a premium for what ever it offers on that site very soon ..

Those rumours don't seem credible. Marriott has had a proposal before council this year, to build 2 towers on the corner of 33 & 97 where the Okanagan Seasons Resort is now. Since Marriott already has the Fairfield Inn, The Grand and the Okanagan Seasons, I doubt they've been looking to develop another one. Also, rezoning is a public process, an application to rezone has to be posted. If they'd applied it would be public knowledge, not a rumour.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/16 ... bad-review
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The value in that place is the land.. A heavy fab shop need not be in that area anymore..not having rail access is not good for that place.
Unless they want to stay..like Monashee..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

Catri wrote:Those rumours don't seem credible. Marriott has had a proposal before council this year, to build 2 towers on the corner of 33 & 97 where the Okanagan Seasons Resort is now. Since Marriott already has the Fairfield Inn, The Grand and the Okanagan Seasons, I doubt they've been looking to develop another one. Also, rezoning is a public process, an application to rezone has to be posted. If they'd applied it would be public knowledge, not a rumour.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/16 ... bad-review

there is alot of controversy surrounding the zoning on 33 and 97. the city wont budge on the parking lot issue. and the building right on the side of a highway with a courtyard parking area doesnt make sense in regards to highway traffic noise. so if they are looking at other land then it makes sense. plus it is in the heart of hotel central.

Return to “Central Okanagan”