Alcohol consumption on boats on the lake

ArcticCatHouse

Alcohol consumption on boats on the lake

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/17 ... er-warning

What will it take before the RCMP actually start enforcing the Transport Canada rules for alcohol aboard small pleasure crafts in Canada?

According to Transport Canada, the governing bodies on the water in order to consume alcohol on a pleasure craft in Canada the vessel must be equipped with a permanent bathroom, cooking and sleeping facility. It must also be anchored or tied to a dock.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/d ... 1610.htm#4

Maybe I am misinterpreting the law?

Every spring it seams the RCMP put out a blurb about boaters safety and say alcohol consumption is all good as long as the driver is not impaired.
Only a matter of time........
Lerfy
Board Meister

Re: Alcohol consumption on boats on the lake

Post by Lerfy »

Oh crap! Here comes the fun police.
ArcticCatHouse

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

Lerfy wrote:Oh *bleep*! Here comes the fun police.

Tell that to Ken Browns family:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/guilty-verdict-in- ... -1.2630093
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Post by WheelWeaves »

I see no reason to drink in the middle of the lake, I've known more than a few operators of crafts who drink with the people who are passengers on the boat, and I know it's a common occurrence otherwise. It's irresponsible, selfish, dangerous for a multitude of reasons, and in my mind a childish abuse of the privilege to consume alcohol. If you can't have fun without it, you frighten me.

Can't drink in a motor vehicle, should be no reason to drink on a boat.
reality check

Post by reality check »

I regularly go out on boat and consume a few beers. Am i criminal? Yes its against the law, but I'm responsible. If i am gong to get drunk, I'm moored for the night. Boating is not like driving, there is is much less traffic, distractions and available road (waterways). I'm not excusing the situation or boaters alike, i just don't want to see responsible boaters being tarnished by irresponsible individuals .
civil_jim

Post by civil_jim »

I regularly go out on boat and consume a few beers. Am i criminal? Yes its against the law, but I'm responsible. If i am gong to get drunk, I'm moored for the night. Boating is not like driving, there is is much less traffic, distractions and available road (waterways). I'm not excusing the situation or boaters alike, i just don't want to see responsible boaters being tarnished by irresponsible individuals .

I agree emphatically with Reality Check, and have been conducting myself on the water in exactly the same way on Okanagan Lake, for almost 40 years now!!
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I agree as long as the driver isn't over the limit what's the harm. Lots of passengers drink in automobiles too even though it's illegal. Plus lots of people drink and drive in their cars too. They should have a breathalizer on lake and check drivers like they do on land.
civil_jim

Post by civil_jim »

They should have a breathalizer on lake and check drivers like they do on land.

I believe they already will, if during a interaction with police, they suspect impairment at all!
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I go out on OK lake fishing, I have a 24 ft. boat with an eight horse kicker. It does have full facilities. Trolling around having a few beers does not create a hazard to anyone as I try to go where there are no other boats and have to keep a close eye out for the idiots that go right behind me and cut my lines. I walk to the boat and back home, stay out at night if the urge strikes. I don't cause a problem for anyone else, and don't need anyone else causing a problem for me.
Black Dogs Matter
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I wonder what those who feel the strong need to drink alcohol in a boat have to say about young people feeling the need to use mild drugs?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Drinking and driving continues to be an issue, why should it be any different on a lake in a boat.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Perhaps a little research into what doctors say about the effects of drugs on young people would be enlightening.
Black Dogs Matter
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dogspoiler wrote:I go out on OK lake fishing, I have a 24 ft. boat with an eight horse kicker. It does have full facilities. Trolling around having a few beers does not create a hazard to anyone as I try to go where there are no other boats and have to keep a close eye out for the idiots that go right behind me and cut my lines. I walk to the boat and back home, stay out at night if the urge strikes. I don't cause a problem for anyone else, and don't need anyone else causing a problem for me.

X2, well...nearly...bit smaller boat....I think incompetent boaters are more of an issue.

Cutting across the back of a fishing boat cutting lines..4 freaking times already this year!!!!!
Intentional wake making around smaller vessels, Had one dude pull a tube doing a 2 lap circle
around me, If my boat was any smaller or I hadn't gotten my windshield closed soon enough I
might likely would have been swamped.
Pulling past a trolling boat then stopping directly in front of it to set up to surf/wake/tube/ski.

Blatant azzholeism is more of an issue than a couple adult bevies while out for a fish/cruise.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I get what some are saying about having a few drinks while boating, it seems harmless enough. If you look at the bigger picture and consider that the person at the helm is in charge of the safe operation of the vessel and the safety of those aboard. What happens when a relaxing day on the lake goes sideways. After a "few" beers are able to think and make quick decisions to deal with the situation? What about a confrontation with another boater? With a few beers will you handle it as well compared to if you were stone sober? Food for thought.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

How do all you boaters that drink well out in your boats get home after drinking and boating?
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45

Return to “Central Okanagan”