Hot air balloon hits lake

ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Hot air balloon hits lake

Post by ferri »

UPDATE: 2 p.m.

North Westside Fire Rescue Fire Chief Jason Satterthwaite says the hot air balloon pilot was unable to overcome a sudden change in wind direction and was forced over Okanagan Lake this morning.

Satterthwaite says despite all the pilot's attempts to get over dry land, fuel ran out, forcing pilot John Klempner from Okanagan Ballooning to make an emergency landing on the water.

A marine crew with North Westside Fire Rescue headed out on the lake to assist the Kelowna fire rescue crew.

“They met Kelowna regional rescue on the water and attempted to drag the submerged balloon to shore. The balloon was too heavy and started to sink Kelowna’s boat,” explains Satterthwaite.

“North Westside’s Marine 103 was able to recover the balloons basket and bring it to shore.”

Local residents Paul Harpnick and his daughter Georgia helped unload the basket and transport it for the pilot.

“The balloon is still in the water and a salvage company has been contacted to retrieve it,” adds Satterthwaite.

“The pilot managed to escape unharmed.”
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Lol. Ran outta fuel.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

I sure hope it's not us poor sucker tax payers covering the cost of retrieving this turkeys mistake.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Those guys continually say they mean to do these "emergency" landings. They are what they are.....EMERGENCY LANDINGS!! Ya, I'd pay for a balloon ride on a windy day, right into the lake. Not!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

skydawg wrote:Likely it was on purpose to land on the water knowing the alternative would be over terrain or a subdivision which would have a had a different outcome to the story. I would say his decision to put it in the water was a good one. His decision to fly in the first place this morning with the forecasted winds makes me question his abilities.

Your comments make me question your ability or any sense you may have about flying

He didn't decide to put it in the lake that decision was made for him long before he was over the lake
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

You know this how?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I'm impressed. The headline used the word "hits". I expected Castanet to use their old standby "plummets into" or even "slammed into".
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Considering none of you are experienced balloon pilots yourselves, you sure do know everything!
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Graphite wrote:Considering none of you are experienced balloon pilots yourselves, you sure do know everything!

Running out of fuel and landing on the lake tells me he isn't either. :up:
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

its tougher to get a drivers license than a ballooning license might be time for change
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

skydawg wrote:Looks like someone didn't check the wind forecast

It appears a number of things went sideways. I believe this is the fellow who is landing all over the place in Glenmore.
Wonder if he will quit before he harms himself or someone??
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Not someone I would go up with thats for sure. He did get his passengers and himself to safety so I will give him that.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

While a water landing isn't ideal for the balloon owner. Is it really a big deal?

He had a support team, they managed to get a boat. And I'm pretty sure those balloon baskets are designed with floating on the water in mind.

Only harm done here is more hassle for the balloon owner, and perhaps not a great experience for any passengers.

Yeesh. People just like to complain. What if this was your sport/hobby? Or do we just ban everything and live inside like mushrooms?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

skydawg wrote:Looks like someone didn't check the wind forecast

Ken7 wrote:It appears a number of things went sideways. I believe this is the fellow who is landing all over the place in Glenmore.
Wonder if he will quit before he harms himself or someone??

Given the kind of weather we've been having lately, if capable of predicting it accurately perhaps skydawy should apply for a position as weatherman, because the truth of the matter is, it's been unpredictable with many sudden changes, and the balloon pilot is hardly the only person who got caught by surprise in the last few days.

Let's cut the guy some slack, and while at it, let's also remember a balloon is quite a different animal from many other forms of aircraft. I'm not aware of anything as much at the mercy of weather as these balloons.

These balloons have always and will always land in strange places.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

The winds that showed up that morning were predicted the day before on several weather sites. Doesn't take much to check those sites. I m well aware weather can change rapidly but if it were me I would have never left the ground that day knowing that forecast which is exactly what I did, stayed grounded for the day. As to your comment about me being a weatherman well I prob could do a much better job especially on the micro meteorology.

Return to “Central Okanagan”