Abandoned/Derelict Houseboats - Okanagan Lake

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Abandoned/Derelict Houseboats - Okanagan Lake

Post by WalterWhite »

Graham Adder wrote:it might be as simple as telling people they can have it if they go get it.
I've looked into it in the past but got lost in PDF files and legal jargon.

^^This. Finding info here:

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farmin ... ctures.pdf

- as noted, it's quite a bit of reading.....

Sunk, grounded or abandoned vessels
A “wreck” may be treated in one of two ways: as an obstruction to navigation under the Navigation
Protection Act, or as a wreck under the Receiver of Wreck provisions of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.
Under the Navigation Protection Act, if any vessel is sunk, partially sunk, lying ashore, grounded or
abandoned in navigable waters, Transport Canada may authorize any person to remove the vessel
or parts of it for their own benefit. The person authorized to remove the vessel is required to
provide registered and other owners with a 30 day notice. This provision provides a mechanism by
which Transport Canada can authorize local governments, the Province or other persons to take
possession of grounded, sunk or abandoned vessels.
Transport Canada may take immediate steps to remove structures or vessels or direct others to
remove structures or vessels that are causing serious and imminent danger to navigation or are
interfering with use of federal Crown lands.

Who to contact
Is the concern about a vessel or structure
obstructing navigation?
Contact Transport Canada at 604-775-8867 or
[email protected]
Is the concern about leaking harmful substances
(i.e. oil)?
Contact BC Provincial Emergency Program at
1-800-663-3456
Is the concern about sewage discharge? Contact BC Provincial Emergency Program at
1-800-663-3456
Is the concern about other types of pollution? Contact BC Provincial Emergency Program at
1-800-663-3456
Is the concern about objects that were once part
of a wrecked of stranded vessel and you want to
salvage the items?
Contact the Receiver of Wreck at 604-775-8867 at
[email protected]
Is the concern about objects from a wrecked or
problem vessel causing a public safety concern?
If there is an imminent concern regarding public
safety contact the Joint Rescue Coordination
Centre Victoria at 1-800-567-5111 (toll free),
#727 (cellular); 250-413-8933 (satellite, local or out
of toll free area), or [email protected].
If the concern is not imminent contact the
Receiver of Wreck at 604-775-8867 or
[email protected]
Is the concern about a problem structure
anchored or grounded on Crown land?
Contact BC Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural
Resource Operations at 250-387-1772 and ask for
regional office
Is the concern about a vessel anchored or
moored for extended period on aquatic land
owned by the Province?
regional office
Is the problem related to local government by
laws (i.e. noise or, residential or commercial use)?
Contact the local government
Is the concern about leaking harmful substances
(i.e. oil)?
Contact BC Provincial Emergency Program at
1-800-663-3456
Is the concern about sewage discharge? Contact BC Provincial Emergency Program at
1-800-663-3456
Is the concern about other types of pollution? Contact BC Provincial Emergency Program at
1-800-663-3456
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

WalterWhite wrote:
Graham Adder wrote:it might be as simple as telling people they can have it if they go get it.
I've looked into it in the past but got lost in PDF files and legal jargon.

^^This. Finding info here:

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farmin ... ctures.pdf

- as noted, it's quite a bit of reading.....

A “wreck” may be treated in one of two ways: as an obstruction to navigation under the Navigation
Protection Act, or as a wreck under the Receiver of Wreck provisions of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.
Under the Navigation Protection Act, if any vessel is sunk, partially sunk, lying ashore, grounded or
abandoned in navigable waters, Transport Canada may authorize any person to remove the vessel
or parts of it for their own benefit. The person authorized to remove the vessel is required to
provide registered and other owners with a 30 day notice. This provision provides a mechanism by
which Transport Canada can authorize local governments, the Province or other persons to take
Transport Canada may take immediate steps to remove structures or vessels or direct others to
remove structures or vessels that are causing serious and imminent danger to navigation or are

Who to contact

<snip>

Is the concern about objects that were once part
of a wrecked of stranded vessel and you want to
salvage the items?
Contact the Receiver of Wreck at 604-775-8867 at
[email protected]

<snip>

Is the concern about a problem structure
anchored or grounded on Crown land?
regional office
Is the concern about a vessel anchored or
moored for extended period on aquatic land
owned by the Province?
regional office

<snip>

Fantastic.
:up:

TYVM WW
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Just for the record folks... I personally contacted ALL OF THE ABOVE a couple years ago. No one gave a shart, nothing was done
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

tsayta wrote:Just for the record folks... I personally contacted ALL OF THE ABOVE a couple years ago. No one gave a shart, nothing was done

Good to know.
There should be documentation to show this has been ongoing for years now.
Might give more merit.

Did they say NOT to go get them when you inquired, or did they not respond at all?
Did you have photos to show them as sunken?
I'm wondering what info you gave to build your case...so to speak.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

A provincial officer called me back. There was alot of finger pointing. Lots of "not our responsibility". I even wrote castanet and I think they did a feature story.
WW
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Check page 1 this forum. There was alot another forum where this was discussed
WW
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

tsayta wrote:Check page 1 this forum. There was alot another forum where this was discussed

Yup - although that was initially based on another boat located on the Westside. That particular boat wasn't abandoned however, as the owner lived in the cabins on the shore. Somewhat eccentric fellow that chose this as his method of fingering the government over not being allowed to subdivide the surrounding property.

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... lit=sunken
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Can someone post a google maps tag where this is?
WW
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

What I'm getting reading further from the info I posted earlier, is that it's salvageable - in other words, it's there for the taking. A phone call to the Reciever of Wrecks looks like it's in order.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

tsayta wrote:Can someone post a google maps tag where this is?

you can see rattlesnake in the background of one shot
kinda gives you an idea how far north of rattlesnake they are
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

WalterWhite wrote:What I'm getting reading further from the info I posted earlier, is that it's salvageable - in other words, it's there for the taking. A phone call to the Reciever of Wrecks looks like it's in order.

I wonder what the insurer thinks about that.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Bman wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:What I'm getting reading further from the info I posted earlier, is that it's salvageable - in other words, it's there for the taking. A phone call to the Reciever of Wrecks looks like it's in order.

I wonder what the insurer thinks about that.

If an insurance company is able to even remotely be tied to that pile of debris, then insurance can cover the clean up and disposal costs.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Beachcombing could be lucrative as long as one is not labeled "thief"

There are several communities on the Coast and Coastal Islands that just started
taking it on themselves, No repercussions I've heard of yet.

Methinks if the owners show up biotchin' then at the least there is someone to
'tag' with the bill.

Other than that, the persons taking the initiative get the perks of any valuables to go along with the
efforts of the endeavour.

As long as not just things of value get stripped and still leave the rotting carcass to flounder.

I believe at times a nice bonfire may be the best solution.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Treblehook wrote:I wonder what abandoned/derelict houseboats on the shore of Okanagan Lake has to do with Chief Louis?

IF you've been hiding in the closet for the past 10 years or so, it would appear the only people our Federal Government will listen to is the Indigenous , First Nation, Aboriginal, Indians who call it their inherent fishing and hunting land and the Government is responsible to protect it!

That is why I have made contact with WBFN.

Protection Act,
or as a wreck under the Receiver of Wreck provisions of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.

Beachcombers, the key to that is highlighted. Tied to shore is not a navigation issue. I would suggest your color of right is lacking. I would suggest you have no right as the OWNER has not given you consent to take his property.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Ken7 wrote:
Treblehook wrote:I wonder what abandoned/derelict houseboats on the shore of Okanagan Lake has to do with Chief Louis?

IF you've been hiding in the closet for the past 10 years or so, it would appear the only people our Federal Government will listen to is the Indigenous , First Nation, Aboriginal, Indians who call it their inherent fishing and hunting land and the Government is responsible to protect it!

That is why I have made contact with WBFN.

Protection Act,
or as a wreck under the Receiver of Wreck provisions of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.

Beachcombers, the key to that is highlighted. Tied to shore is not a navigation issue. I would suggest your color of right is lacking. I would suggest you have no right as the OWNER has not given you consent to take his property.

There is a second part to the first part of which you highlighted that still applies:

Return to “Central Okanagan”