Abandoned/Derelict Houseboats - Okanagan Lake

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Abandoned/Derelict Houseboats - Okanagan Lake

Post by Graham Adder »

Ken7 wrote:I tell you from the school I came from, it's pollution as it is not apart of the ecological makeup on Lake Okanagan.

One room?
All grades?
Uphill both ways.
Snowdrifts higher than the phone wires...or pardon...telegraph wires.
Shared shoes.
Dried corn cobs for...wait...TMI

Although I see your angle, I'm not so quick to call anything foreign to the lake "pollution".
If it's abandoned, discarded or otherwise left adrift, then certainly that is pollution.
These boats may very well fall into that category before breaking apart on the reef before a deserted island..wait...rocks...shore....riiiiiiight.

Is it just me or did it just get really smokey in here?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

its abandoned garbage if that's not pollution then tell me what is in your eyes is it only pollution when it breaks up and sinks
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

LTD wrote:its abandoned garbage if that's not pollution then tell me what is in your eyes is it only pollution when it breaks up and sinks

Some people trying to be humorous should let google be there friend .
I totally agree. There has to be change or one day the water we currently drink will not be potable.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Here is a transport Canada site relative to abandoned boats. You have to scroll way down to get information. It appears that if the boats are a hazard to other boats then someone has to remedy the situation:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/ab ... -4454.html
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Called them 2 years ago. No action.
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

LTD wrote:its abandoned garbage if that's not pollution then tell me what is in your eyes is it only pollution when it breaks up and sinks

I stated I
f it's abandoned, discarded or otherwise left adrift, then certainly that is pollution.
These boats may very well fall into that category before breaking apart on the reef before a deserted island..wait...rocks...shore....riiiiiiight.

sigh...

<face/palm>

And then this:
Ken7 wrote:Some people trying to be humorous should let google be there friend .
I totally agree. There has to be change or one day the water we currently drink will not be potable.

to back up the first comment that missed the point.

Sometimes posting here is akin to driving in Kelowna.
People swerve into things and run signs and just drive like...Kelowna drivers.

Anyhow. I haven't seen these garbage barges. Apparently they are flotillas of garbage.
I'd still be interested in salvaging one.
Now that I know the rules are so loose, I can just unbolt the top portion and let it slide off into the lake and sink. Problem solved. No more garbage barge. Now I have a tidy pontoon boat with tiny house potential.
The crap I slide off will make a good artificial reef. Oh yeah...again with the ocean. I really miss the ocean.
I should save the humor and let google be my friend.
Here google google.
c'mon boy.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Perhaps you should try posting stuff that actually makes sense and shows some sign of intelligence if you wish to be taken seriously your attempt at being humorous was marginal at best
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

On the margins of marginal
WW
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

deleted
Last edited by Ken7 on Aug 27th, 2016, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

trapp wrote:Here is a transport Canada site relative to abandoned boats. You have to scroll way down to get information. It appears that if the boats are a hazard to other boats then someone has to remedy the situation:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/ab ... -4454.html

The problem being if they are tide to shore or a dock and sunk, difficult for anyone to suggest it is a hazard. In saying that, they are still garbage in our drinking water.

Unless there is oil or gas leaking out and noted on the surface, there is no problem. Back earlier I posted the reply I received on the vessel I reported sunk and polluting.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Tied

Tide has to do with the rise and fall of large bodies of water...like the oceans. We won't talk about that here though, in case it seem comedic, funny...or less than straight-up serious.

If they are tied to the shore or a dock, and they aren't leaking anything...how is it pollution?
You're not making any sense. It sounds (reads) like you've got a bone to pick with an eyesore...nothing more.
explain the pollution part, so I have some idea of what I'm missing. Otherwise I'll have to settle with what seems apparent.
You're whining and looking for support.

To be clear:
I'm not talking about boats smashed on the shore or leaking effluent, fuel or oil. I'm talking about ugly boats that someone else owns that are not leaking, or breaking apart and littering the shoreline.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Graham there are other types of pollution possible here. Degraded bits of polystyrene flotation, plastics, leaching metals, the mattress bedsprings I saw on the beach, etc. Oil and gas would be the obvious ones, but I would argue that other man made flotsam courtesy of these wrecks also qualifies as 'pollution' in the practical sense.
WW
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

tsayta wrote:Graham there are other types of pollution possible here. Degraded bits of polystyrene flotation, plastics, leaching metals, the mattress bedsprings I saw on the beach, etc. Oil and gas would be the obvious ones, but I would argue that other man made flotsam courtesy of these wrecks also qualifies as 'pollution' in the practical sense.

I agree.
Crud (with an ap not a ud) blowing off them and onto the water or shore is certainly pollution.
Thanks for a clear and unemotional response tsayta.
Refreshing.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

tsayta wrote:Called them 2 years ago. No action.

Who did you call, I've tried all levels of Government, recently tried to speak with Chief Louis. No response, maybe the waters are not so important to them either as their staple is no longer fish.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I tried bc parks, by ministry of env, fed fisheries
WW

Return to “Central Okanagan”