West Kelowna (Lakeview) water quality

melcowan

West Kelowna (Lakeview) water quality

Post by melcowan »

For over three weeks we have had a boil water advisory. The quality of the water even before this was very poor. We recently moved from another water system area and upon moving here, when we ran bath water, it was very muddy looking. That was before the August advisory. The city of Kamloops gets their water from the fast moving, silty Thompson River, yet they have a filtration system that produces very clean water. I find it hard to believe that people using this water system have put up with it. Now the mayor says it will be addressed by 2022. Great, only six more years of muddy water!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: West Kelowna (Lakeview) water quality

Post by gman313 »

melcowan wrote:For over three weeks we have had a boil water advisory. The quality of the water even before this was very poor. We recently moved from another water system area and upon moving here, when we ran bath water, it was very muddy looking. That was before the August advisory. The city of Kamloops gets their water from the fast moving, silty Thompson River, yet they have a filtration system that produces very clean water. I find it hard to believe that people using this water system have put up with it. Now the mayor says it will be addressed by 2022. Great, only six more years of muddy water!

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 29th, 2016, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic and uncalled for.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

could be worse you could live in east kelowna :200:
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

the water is great over here in westbank
Divor
Fledgling

Post by Divor »

I'm in Glenrosa water crystal clear.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

I grew up in Glenrosa (Westbank ID / Powers Creek) and we would have the annual runoff until early June. It looked like tea but was always safe to drink. Powers Creek's dam has seen a huge upgrade, which is evident when you hike to it - it used to be settling ponds and that's about it.

Lakeview is served by Rose Valley, and I bet it's under huge pressure given the exponential growth in Lakeview Heights Irrigation District in the past 15 years. Still, boil water advisories and muddy looking water are separate issues - the former could come from (or be completely unrelated to) increased traffic in the park near the reservoir. Or, it could be a broken/leaking main or something.

In 2004, Kamloops has installed one of the best water treatment plants in North America. See: http://www.eocp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... mloops.pdf

You've moved into a newly incorporated city, with an irrigation system built for orchards and a small community, and you are comparing it to services provided in a long-established city. Patience, grasshopper - your clear water will come.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

It's nothing to do with the growth, it's all to do with the above normal flows into the reservoir not allowing it to settle properly. Even with the over abundance of water this year we are still on odd/even watering days because "we have to get used to it for when the California drought comes". Too funny. The water will clear up. It's always been good from Lakeview Irrigation. And you don't have to boil it unless you're sickly or have a compromised immune system and feel you may be at risk.
I birn quil I se
quagmaire
Fledgling

Post by quagmaire »

Look at the bright side!
Every time you water the lawn, you get a FREE layer of topsoil!
Giggidy, Giggidy

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Central Okanagan”