Old Zellers Building being rezoned

goatboy
Guru

Old Zellers Building being rezoned

Post by goatboy »

Anyone know who is applying to have the old Zellers building rezoned from Retail Commercial to Highway Commercial?
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Old Zellers Building being rezoned

Post by d0nb »

I thought it was on WFN land.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

goatboy wrote:Anyone know who is applying to have the old Zellers building rezoned from Retail Commercial to Highway Commercial?

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-devel ... pment.aspx This might be what you are referring to. It's in Vancouver. It is asking for the rezoning of the old Zellers store by "Westbank Developments"
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

No, we received a consultation notice in the mail from the Westbank First Nation regarding the rezoning of the the old Zellers property at 3571 Old Okanagan Road to "Highway Commercial". Just wondering if anyone had any information on who is applying for the rezoning?
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

I saw it being surveyed a few weeks ago.

This might help

http://www.wfn.ca/docs/land_use_law_no_ ... _final.pdf

HIGHWAY COMMERCIAL USE means a use that provides retail sale of goods or services and
necessitates access by motor vehicle.

New Drive thru maybe?
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

That's a bad thing about Westbank First Nation developments, they don't post signage regarding these sort of things nor do they advertise it on their website - they only contact neighbouring WFN band members directly. :(

That could mean one of two things:
* The property is up for sale, currently owned 100% by Artis REIT under a long-term headlease without about 80 or so years remaining
- OR -
* The property's current tenant, which is still leased by Hudson's Bay Company under a long-term lease with Artis REIT and for which it's likely paying between $65,000 and $100,000 plus operating costs/property taxes to Artis REIT through 2023 even though it's unoccupied, may have found a tenant to sublease the building for the remainder of its term through 2023 with Artis REIT

Either way, likely means a rezoning is necessary.

I think what would be an ideal use for this building would be to see it redeveloped and the building torn down and salvaged for scrap, ideally, into purpose-built rental apartments with either month-to-month, 6-month or 12-month leases at market rates or, failing that, a combination of condo and townhouse units with an open courtyard and some smaller ground-level commercial retail units on the main level.

Failing that, the building should be demolished and it should be rezoned as light industrial to accommodate commercial lease or strata units, similar to nearby Gateway buildings, built in the "tilt-up" concrete construction method to accommodate light industrial businesses similar to West Kelowna's Industrial Park but on WFN land. Possibly even a shipping logistics like Commercial Logistics or a customs brokerage business or an Amazon Fulfillment Centre to provide decent, $12-15 per hour "living wage" jobs.

Another good idea, to preserve the building, is to redevelop the building to accommodate a long-term inbound and/or outbound call centre operator that, again, would provide "living wage" $12-17 per hour jobs. :)

Cheers,
Doug
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

Saw someone there tonight. Lights on inside, guy on the roof with what looked like a hose. Young girl at the side door, walkie talkie in hand. All seemed kind of strange....... Black non descript vehicle parked at front doors.
EvaG

Post by EvaG »

Is it possible that they may be leasing it temporarily to that company that sells Halloween Costumes? They seem to lease a lot of old unused building in cities everywhere. Just a thought.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

Camping World RV dealership.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I wish it would be turned into a bowling alley or something. The westside really lacks family activities like that, especially in the winter now with Crystal Mountain closed.
gpg

Post by gpg »

I heard behind closed doors that Costco is making plans to come to West Kelowna and will move the current store further north. Maybe that will be their location.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

gpg wrote:I heard behind closed doors that Costco is making plans to come to West Kelowna and will move the current store further north. Maybe that will be their location.

I can't see that happening.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

Frisk wrote:I wish it would be turned into a bowling alley or something. The westside really lacks family activities like that, especially in the winter now with Crystal Mountain closed.

Sad thing is these family fun spots are disappearing not enough profit in it.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Wave101 wrote:Camping World RV dealership.

A terrible idea. Hopefully, if true, it flops within a year. RV dealerships, more often than not, become eyesores and provide little employment other than an owner/sales manager, a few commissioned sales reps and a bookkeeper/accountant.

Those halloween costume stores that open up for a month do nothing to enhance the community. :)

My $0.25 cents. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
EvaG

Post by EvaG »

Doug, I don't think anyone was hoping for a Halloween Store or a RV Dealership, people are merely speculating on what it may be.

Return to “Central Okanagan”