Smith Creek home invasion near-miss? Or what?

bazinga42
Fledgling

Smith Creek home invasion near-miss? Or what?

Post by bazinga42 »

So there's a video posted on Facebook today, apparently showing a dude riding up on his pedal bike and heading to the front door of a home, possibly (according to comments and - I gotta say - I can't dispute it) a gun, some sort of cutting tool and gloves on. He snoops at some mail or whatever before seeing the security camera and casually bugging off.

Now... I can't help but to point out who's page this is posted on. The home happens to be the owner of a local company that apparently supplies surveillance or security systems (I'm not entirely sure). So the cynic in me has a little voice saying this is a bit too on point.

What do you think?

Was this a home invasion that got thwarted by a camera? Was that a "sawed off shotgun" about to do some nasty and this family just got lucky? I have to say it does look like a rifle butt, but I can't see a trigger or anything so I kind of doubt it. A publicity stunt by a local security camera company? My personal suspicion is that he was trolling for easy targets and saw a package at the door and wanted to see if it was something interesting.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Smith Creek home invasion near-miss? Or what?

Post by TreeGuy »

Do you have a link to the video?
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

Yes, I posted them in my original post... I guess Castanet doesn't allow inline linking? Pasting here: https://www.facebook.com/TerracomSystem ... 796954183/
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

It is rather convenient that the owner of a security company would post this. Of course, if anyone's home would be all camera'd up...it would be the owner of a security company.

If you follow that Facebook thread, he goes on to show some screencaps of the guy's face. If this was a stunt, whomever "starred" in the video is going to have a lot of people keeping an eye out for him.

And the rifle butt thing is confusing...when he puts it down on the doormat, it appears to be *just* the rifle butt and no rifle.

Too much to lose for all involved if this is fake. I think it's real.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

The biggest thing that makes me question it is:

What kind of no-mind thief would be swinging a flashlight around where he/she is scoping?
That in itself doesn't make me a believer.

Aside from that, it seems to be if the turdball was really vacating after being seen on cam, would he ride back through the camera shot again, so casually? I'd think that if he was spooked by the cam, he'd be riding much faster, and not wanting to go back through that field of vision again.

The ONLY thing that makes me consider it real, is the pics of TB's face. Why would they post those face shots, if they didn't genuinely want to find out who the goofus was.

If it's real, I hope the RCMP find him shortly after someone else does.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

Btw... I live on the street in question. So I can answer why he came back through the camera's field... he may not have known that continuing up the street is a dead end. Plus he may not have realized there was a camera shooting down driveway.

I agree that if this is a stunt that the actor is in a precarious position. It is most likely some fool looking for an easy score.

But yeah, the "gun" thing is what has me confused the most.

If it really is a gun toting criminal, then the fact I live a few houses down has me wanting to alarm up the house. The possibility that it is a stunt, however, has me determined to buy from someone else lol.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The fact that the bandit walks up to the door and allows a flashlight beam to shine into the door of a building that he doesn't know is occupied or not tells me it's a promo video.
If you look at their twitter there's also a pic showing a break in of a car at the same spot and it looks like the same perp peep.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Also if it was real I think it would be news on Castanet.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 16th, 2016, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

If you wanted to look scary, having a gun stock out of your pocket would add to it.....without actually having a gun and the liability that it would carry when the moron finally gets caught.
Isn't this from the house of a client of the business? It seems pretty straight up from what I saw.
You and 71 others Like this post
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I think it's a promo video.
The gunstock does not appear to have a barrel or action.
He's shining a flashlight around but in both shots there is enough light to cast pronounced shadows.
Black Dogs Matter
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

LANDM wrote:If you wanted to look scary, having a gun stock out of your pocket would add to it.....without actually having a gun and the liability that it would carry when the moron finally gets caught.
Isn't this from the house of a client of the business? It seems pretty straight up from what I saw.

No, it is the home of the guy that runs the biz. I don't know them, but my neighbor does.
justsaying

Post by justsaying »

We know the family and spoke to them about the incident. They are extremely ethical, honorable, community minded business owners. It happened. If you recognize the guy call it in.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

justsaying wrote:We know the family and spoke to them about the incident. They are extremely ethical, honorable, community minded business owners. It happened. If you recognize the guy call it in.

Uh huh .....

Right .

Spy vs Spy doesn't .... never mind.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

bazinga42 wrote:<snip>
...has me wanting to alarm up the house.

This is exactly what the business owner wants people to feel.
Glad you've got sights on other suppliers, just in case there is no case.
If it turns out to be legit, then I'd still be PO'd that my ever so considerate neighbor didn't come door to door to his immediate community members to inform them of the threat.
Leaving it for people to find on Castanet isn't exactly informing your neighbors.

Return to “Central Okanagan”