Chickens left to die in the bush

dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Chickens left to die in the bush

Post by dogspoiler »

Good job Shannon. May you be rewarded with plentiful cakkelberries.
Black Dogs Matter
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

dogspoiler wrote:Good job Shannon. May you be rewarded with plentiful cakkelberries.

Three already today, just from this group! Oh, did I mention EGGS FOR SALE!!!! lol I deliver.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Wow! Nice pic of the flock doing what they do best, flockin' together, having a cluck about how this is a down right resort compared to their last digs.

So nice to see.

Fresh eggs, hmmmmm, PM me regarding details.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
AtticSalt

Post by AtticSalt »

What a handsome flock you managed to get yourself Shannon and to think that someone just 'dumped' them...
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Any blue/green eggs yet ?
The little tan hen, as well as the grey, look like they could be Araucana crosses.
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

Farmmaa wrote:Any blue/green eggs yet ?
The little tan hen, as well as the grey, look like they could be Araucana crosses.

Everyone's a white/light brown egg layer. The reason some of them look 'rumpless' is due to molting. That, and someone took pruning shears or large scissors to their tail and wing feathers.
Waterboy

Post by Waterboy »

FYI.... The one last white hen is still alive and running around up there. She was spotted this morning and looking surprisingly well for the amount of time she has been in the woods. I have not seen her for a bit and thought she was gone but Surprise, there she is. I'll have to prepare myself next time I'm up there and if I do happen to catch her, I'll contact you ShannonG to return her to her buddies.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i have to say it again, with all the "ugly" that is in the world today, this thread really does warm the old heart. :)

i hope someone catches Ms. Hen and returns her to her crew. :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Waterboy

Post by Waterboy »

Picture of the Last hen taken today... I must say, it is one fast chicken and knows how to get away. Must have kicked in her"survival instincts"
Alive and Kicking
Alive and Kicking
going to need a little back up to wrangle this one in! :chicken:
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

I have been leaving food for her! I looked for her yesterday but despite the fact that the food had all been eaten I couldn't find her. If you catch her I would reunite her with her buddies in a heartbeat. We have tried and tried but she has gone completely feral and refuses to be caught. I watched my husband go full beast mode one evening last week and chase her up that steep cliff, fishing net in hand lol.
I've got a dozen eggs reward for anyone who can catch her WITHOUT HURTING HER and let me know. She likes to hide in the pile of branches on the hairpin near the creek.
As my hunter husband so eloquently put it 'If you wanted her dead this would be so much easier." Thanks, honey....
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Wow....with the number of coyotes we're hearing up here lately...she's one heck of a survivor!

I wonder if you might have to resort to using the rooster as 'bait' ?

If you need an extra few hands just let me know. I'm usually home by 5:30 and am only a few minutes away
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

Farmmaa wrote:Wow....with the number of coyotes we're hearing up here lately...she's one heck of a survivor!

I wonder if you might have to resort to using the rooster as 'bait' ?

If you need an extra few hands just let me know. I'm usually home by 5:30 and am only a few minutes away
:30

It would be pretty traumatic for the 'bush chickens' I have here to crate them up and take them back up there. That's beyond last resort for me.
I don't know what the answer is to catching this last hen. I'll be up there about 5:30 Tuesday night if anyone wants to provide backup.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i have a crazy idea. i don't know if it would even work (I'm not a Chicken Whisperer) but i wonder if you could record the sounds of her buddies on your phone and then play it? maybe that would be enough to get her close enough for someone to spring out and catch her?
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We have the Chicken Whisperer ^^^ !

Yes, yes you are Ferri, admit it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

ferri wrote:i have a crazy idea. i don't know if it would even work (I'm not a Chicken Whisperer) but i wonder if you could record the sounds of her buddies on your phone and then play it? maybe that would be enough to get her close enough for someone to spring out and catch her?

Honestly, I wouldn't rule anything out at this point. You can get baby chicks to hatch faster by playing a recording of chicks peeping, so why not?
She is tucked into bed high in a tree tonight. I left her more food in all her favorite places. Hopefully someone will get lucky and nab her one of these days.

Return to “Central Okanagan”