Inquiries on Car selection and Car insurance

assa8945

Inquiries on Car selection and Car insurance

Post by assa8945 »

I am an international student who wants to buy a car.
My friends told me that having a 4WD car is important ?
However, i think that 4WD car costs more and consumes more fuel comparatively.

Therefore, I wonder is it neccessary to buy a 4WD car if i study in UBCO in Kelowna?

My second question would be how is the Car Insurance caculated.
I was so shocked after i heard the expense on Car Insurance which may be even higher than the lease.
Does the cost of car insurance depend on the car brand or the price of the car or something else?
Can you tell me the roughly cost every year for an international student?
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Inquiries on Car selection and Car insurance

Post by Liquidnails »

4WD is not necessary if you are studying at UBCO. Any front wheel drive car with good winter tires will be all you need.

Car insurance price depends on the value, age, and style of your car, the amount of coverage you purchase, as well as your age and driving experience. ICBC does not recognise any driving history from your home country, so you will likely not receive any discount for safe driving. I would guess that you would pay probably at least $2000/yr to insure a car less than 10 years old as an international student. Any car designated as a sports car will cost more than a family sedan or compact. Vehicles types that are commonly stolen will also cost more to insure.

For the most accurate information, I recommend you have a look at ICBC's FAQ section (http://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/New-to-or ... ng-BC.aspx) or give a local insurance broker a call. (http://www.icbc.com/locators/Pages/defa ... on=kelowna)

Good luck!
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

It's depends on where you live in the area. If you live near or up Goudie RD a 4x4 is a must. However in the valley, you can get by with a front wheel car and good tires. you can pack chains as a precaution.

I have always had FWD cars, I find a v6 car is better in the snow.(weight, rather then power.)

I have a 15% I pay $200 a month, now that is not stripped down basic. Full coverage. 2006 Pontiac G6.
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

I wouldn't worry about 4WD. I've lived here 10 years, drive regularly on the highways in the winter, trips up to the ski hill, etc. and have never had an issue with a simple front wheel drive sedan and hatchback, each with winter tires.

I agree with the insurance costs from the previous posts. Without discounts, I would plan on 200 a month as a ballpark range.

And of course, best of luck with your studies.

Good
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

A car is an expensive venture and if you can do without it while you're studying, you might want to consider that.

If you're buying one, look at 300 give or take for a payment plus 200 for insurance and maybe 100 for gas. 600 bucks more or less not to mention parking at UBCO which is outrageous and not guaranteed even once you have a permit.

Try to marry up where you are going to live with the transit schedule as best you can. It'll save you a ton.

Just a thought. Good luck and welcome to the valley. It's pretty cool here.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

If you are buying second-hand I recommend the Lemon-Aid Used car books (at the library). http://www.lemonaidcars.com/

We buy used cars, and have used the lemon aid books every time we've needed a new car. It rates them, tells you about problems with particular years, lets you know what will be the best value. As a result, our cars have been quite solid.

In particular we look for cars with a J in the VIN, as it means it was manufactured in Japan, a good sign on quality. I'd hesitate to buy a car manufactured in the US.
I haven't failed until I quit.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Having awd or 4wd is definitely good if you can afford the extra cost, especially if Big White skiing is on your list of apres school activities.
Insurance will be highly dependent on age, driving record, vehicle value, vehicle type, age of vehicle etc.
You and 71 others Like this post
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Lady tehMa wrote:If you are buying second-hand I recommend the Lemon-Aid Used car books (at the library). http://www.lemonaidcars.com/

We buy used cars, and have used the lemon aid books every time we've needed a new car. It rates them, tells you about problems with particular years, lets you know what will be the best value. As a result, our cars have been quite solid.

In particular we look for cars with a J in the VIN, as it means it was manufactured in Japan, a good sign on quality. I'd hesitate to buy a car manufactured in the US.

I agree with Lady tehMa. I'm a big fan of the Lemon-Aid books too! I don't even test drive a vehicle until I've looked it up to see what Phil Edmonston thinks of it. His books also offer some excellent tips on shopping and negotiating, as well information on secret recalls.

Return to “Central Okanagan”