Cyclist struck by hit and run driver

Mark1111
Board Meister

Re: Cyclist struck by hit and run driver

Post by Mark1111 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Oct 11th, 2016, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

If she is going southbound, she would have half the intersection to react, and should have seen lights.
I think the news report said they were both southbound, if that is the case the auto either rearended or sideswiped her.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Kareem a-Weet

Post by Kareem a-Weet »

It seems that we now have a mini-Mayor Moonbeam, who's been busy having the street maintenance staff paint pretty green lines all around town, new No Left Turn signs, new No Right Turn on Red signs (where left and right turns have been permitted for ever) with no apparent purpose other than to inconvenience the motorist. No warning signs to tell you the signage has changed. Just like Vancouver. I'm sure they'll tell you it is to make cycling safer, although putting up a no right on red sign when presumably cyclists are not supposed to go through a red light, seems a bit dumb.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Kareem a-Weet wrote:It seems that we now have a mini-Mayor Moonbeam, who's been busy having the street maintenance staff paint pretty green lines all around town, new No Left Turn signs, new No Right Turn on Red signs (where left and right turns have been permitted for ever) with no apparent purpose other than to inconvenience the motorist. No warning signs to tell you the signage has changed. Just like Vancouver. I'm sure they'll tell you it is to make cycling safer, although putting up a no right on red sign when presumably cyclists are not supposed to go through a red light, seems a bit dumb.

Document the changes and let people know ... in the cycling community we do the same with changes that comes as a bit of a surprise ...

And I'd presume that the changes are to make using the roads safer ... the city tries to balance things out, not just cater to one set of users or another ... though as a driver my biggest issue is all the other cars on the road, without them I'd be a lot happier behind the wheel ... why do think I want to get more people on bikes? get them off my roads :)

(Sorry for going off-topic)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ it's one thing to have painted green areas & restrictions on turning.
If the police are not enforcing any of it as with the HOV lanes, its essentially money wasted.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
manmade
Fledgling

Post by manmade »

Kareem a-Weet wrote:It seems that we now have a mini-Mayor Moonbeam, who's been busy having the street maintenance staff paint pretty green lines all around town, new No Left Turn signs, new No Right Turn on Red signs (where left and right turns have been permitted for ever) with no apparent purpose other than to inconvenience the motorist. No warning signs to tell you the signage has changed. Just like Vancouver. I'm sure they'll tell you it is to make cycling safer, although putting up a no right on red sign when presumably cyclists are not supposed to go through a red light, seems a bit dumb.

re: green lines...check yer facts before posting. Green bike lines were introduced in 2010.
http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page4332.aspx
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26600&start=15
spooker

Post by spooker »

GordonH wrote:^^^ it's one thing to have painted green areas & restrictions on turning.
If the police are not enforcing any of it as with the HOV lanes, its essentially money wasted.

Green bikes lanes are more for awareness, not something they would need to enforce ... the area that this accident happened in has not been the best thought out intersection for all modes that use it but it is getting better ... sadly when it isn't clear where people are supposed to be they get surprised too easily and something bad happens
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:^^^ it's one thing to have painted green areas & restrictions on turning.

spooker wrote:Green bikes lanes are more for awareness, not something they would need to enforce ... the area that this accident happened in has not been the best thought out intersection for all modes that use it but it is getting better ... sadly when it isn't clear where people are supposed to be they get surprised too easily and something bad happens

Intersections that have no right turns, the sign is small is hung on the traffic light poll. I suspect rarely does anyone notice it, since a majority turn right on red light.
As for green area majority stop but inch there way threw to white line.

my biggest pet peeve on cyclists is those who travel against traffic, I get logic behind it. They are causing themselves bigger risk with those turn off & onto roadway.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”