Plane Crash

AirHoss
Board Meister

Re: Plane Crash

Post by AirHoss »

cfriedemann wrote:. If that plane took off North, off the runway, it got blown out of the sky by the wind. That would not be a surprising conclusion. Before it really got airborne, it lost control.
. That was extreme windy weather. It even broke my fence.

I'll do my best to word this as to not sound rude, but your hypothesis and the information on which you base it are absolutely ridiculous. Planes are not trees. Planes are also not fences. Aircraft are literally designed to operate within extreme airflow. A fence is basically the exact opposite of an aircraft. Positing that a plane would crash because your fence fell down is... I can't even find the words.
The aircraft ran into trouble at 7800 feet, not "before it really got airborne." Aircraft do not get "blown out of the sky" at 7800 feet.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

AirHoss wrote:
I'll do my best to word this as to not sound rude, but your hypothesis and the information on which you base it are absolutely ridiculous. Planes are not trees. Planes are also not fences. Aircraft are literally designed to operate within extreme airflow. A fence is basically the exact opposite of an aircraft. Positing that a plane would crash because your fence fell down is... I can't even find the words.
The aircraft ran into trouble at 7800 feet, not "before it really got airborne." Aircraft do not get "blown out of the sky" at 7800 feet.

I was going to comment, but I was just too tired.

However, a plane could get "blown out of the sky" at 7800ft - but it would have had to been flying through a pretty extreme thunderhead which around here, we don't see - at least of that magnitude. Also, we do have to keep in mind that the altitude is above sea level, not above ground level - but still, that scenario is extremely unlikely.

But I completely agree with the rest of your post - aircraft are extremely capable of flying through rough weather, and what we see happening in our backyard is not a reflection of what is happening at higher altitudes or of an aircrafts capabilities.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Nov 1st, 2016, 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Flight path went from the lit up valley to the darkness of night. Pilot rolled out on the heading, lost orientation, spatial disorientation, and lost the aircraft. Wouldn't be the first time.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

rookie314 wrote:Flight path went from the lit up valley to the darkness of night. Pilot rolled out on the heading, lost orientation, spatial disorientation, and lost the aircraft. Wouldn't be the first time.

The valley doesn't emit enough light to make a difficult visual transition - you'd be relying more on your instruments regardless.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Not true. There are several instances of spatial disorientation because of changing light conditions and losing the aircraft by not understanding changes in information from instrumentation. Air France 330 off coast of Brazil. RCAF C130 in alert. Govt of Alberta Bell 222 Slave Lake. 5 to 10 % of all general aviation accidents are spatial disorientation. Here is an excellent article on spatial disorientation.
https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/29971/b20070063.pdf
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

rookie314 wrote:Not true. There are several instances of spatial disorientation because of changing light conditions and losing the aircraft by not understanding changes in information from instrumentation. Air France 330 off coast of Brazil. RCAF C130 in alert. Govt of Alberta Bell 222 Slave Lake. 5 to 10 % of all general aviation accidents are spatial disorientation. Here is an excellent article on spatial disorientation.
https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/29971/b20070063.pdf

I'm very aware of spatial disorientation, hence my comment that the lights emitted from the valley would not contribute to that. In other words, I don't disagree that spatial disorientation may have been a possibility, but saying that the transition from the "lit" up valley to darkness is not even close to being a factor.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Speaking of C-130's.
One is buzzing around West Kelowna this Saturday afternoon.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Leifer wrote:Speaking of C-130's.
One is buzzing around West Kelowna this Saturday afternoon.

White one by any chance? There was a UN C130 sitting in front of KF Aerospace the other week.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Dark grey (typical CC-130J) I think.
It was orbiting around Lake View heights for a while.
Rumbled the house and freaked out the dog. :D
We are up on the lake side of Mt. Boucherie.

2)
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

2)
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

gordon_as wrote:We are , of course , speculating. None of us were there or have any inside info. We will likely hear an official report at least a year from now.

I am just curious about the airspeed , and if that was normal considering the rate of climb.

Report due out soon. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#224522
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

The story in Castanet says the plane crashed "11 kilometres north of the airport, east of Wood Lake abut 30 minutes after takeoff." What - I can easily ride a bike 11 km in 30 minutes.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

techrtr wrote:The story in Castanet says the plane crashed "11 kilometres north of the airport, east of Wood Lake abut 30 minutes after takeoff." What - I can easily ride a bike 11 km in 30 minutes.

No wonder it "crash landed" it was a jet travelling at the speed of a bicycle.

What the media made an error ?

They also report that the plane "crash landed". What ? it plunged straight down. It CRASHED, period. No landing there, well unless you define "landed" at anything hitting or coming in contact with the ground.

Isn't a "crash landing" a crash while the pilot is trying to land ?

"In local news, a meteorite landed last night at......"
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

my5cents wrote:
techrtr wrote:The story in Castanet says the plane crashed "11 kilometres north of the airport, east of Wood Lake abut 30 minutes after takeoff." What - I can easily ride a bike 11 km in 30 minutes.

No wonder it "crash landed" it was a jet travelling at the speed of a bicycle.

What the media made an error ?

The Cessna C500 (Citation) took off from Kelowna International Airport at 9:32 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 19, and crashed just eight minutes later in Winfield
( https://globalnews.ca/news/3378176/6-mo ... -prentice/ )
TSB indicates spacial disorientation, only 2 night flights in past 6mths, and not rated for single pilot operation.
(I only briefly looked. More detailed info will be on the internet soon)
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

rookie314 wrote:Flight path went from the lit up valley to the darkness of night. Pilot rolled out on the heading, lost orientation, spatial disorientation, and lost the aircraft. Wouldn't be the first time.

Return to “Central Okanagan”