Frisk
Guru

Plane Crash

Post by Frisk »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Plane Crash

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Sad news, some reports say Jim Prentice former Alberta premier was abourd., not yet confirmed.
Looks like it happened in or near Fir Valley.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Weather was bad in that area last night.

I was watching the Silver Star radar periodically last night.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

Atomoa wrote:Weather was bad in that area last night.

I was watching the Silver Star radar periodically last night.

Silverstar has radar? link?
mem

Post by mem »

I am shocked and saddened by this. Jim dedicated his life to serving the people of his province and his country. We truely has lost a good man......
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

When was the last big plane crash aroung ylw? I dont know of any that comes to mind until last nights crash. Wheather was brutal and windy here. Im surpr8sed that someone would take off in that last night.

Saying thatn they dropped 4000 ft in the last 20 seconds would mean they were in a strait nosedive for sure.

Well i guess we will find out.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

AirHoss wrote:Silverstar has radar? link?

https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XSS
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Sad news, some reports say Jim Prentice former Alberta premier was abourd., not yet confirmed.
Looks like it happened in or near Fir Valley.

Now confirmed.

To me it looks a little east of Fir Valley. My guess is that it came down a little closer to the Oceola Fish and Game Club's shooting range(just past 2nd cattleguard on your way up the FSR), but I must admit I'm not sure where the eastern border of Fir Valley is and perhaps the gun range is considered part of it.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Oct 14th, 2016, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

Atomoa wrote:link

Thank you
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 14th, 2016, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 14th, 2016, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Symbonite wrote:When was the last big plane crash aroung ylw? I dont know of any that comes to mind until last nights crash. Wheather was brutal and windy here. Im surpr8sed that someone would take off in that last night.

Saying thatn they dropped 4000 ft in the last 20 seconds would mean they were in a strait nosedive for sure.

Well i guess we will find out.

The last (and only) fatal accident I can think of off the top of my head with an aircraft departing or arriving at YLW was back in the 90s when a Piper Navajo (IIRC) hit the side of Terrace Mountain killing both crew members. There have been several involving injuries, but I can't think of any more fatal ones.

Weather wise - we'll have too see if that plays a determining factor or not - other aircraft left/arrived without any issues - I don't know if any PIREPS (Pilot Reports) were called out.

Looking at the data from flightaware, they climbed up to 7000ft at around 3000ft a minute (which is typical for a Citation), however, the airspeed was steadily decreasing (although not close to stall speed) and then the aircraft started a descent at a rate of 2200ft/min, which is quite a normal descent.

Now, how accurate that is, I don't know, but those parameters in themselves show nothing unusual in themselves, other than the obvious fact is why the climb was stopped and the aircraft started to descend in an area of high terrain.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CGT ... W/tracklog
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

From this article they say it is a possibility of icing...

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#178291
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

westbankkid wrote:From this article they say it is a possibility of icing...

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#178291

Was just going to post that link.

Icing is aways a very strong possibility. Not only ice on the wings, which increase drag and reduces lift causing an aerodynamic stall being a possibility in a crash but icing of the pitot tubes and static ports can also cause a crash by plugging them up and giving false information to the pilots in relation to airspeed and/or altitude. Of course, this all depends on what kind of back up systems are present on the aircraft and how well the crew process the possible false information. But in a worst case scenario, the airspeed indicator would act as a vertical speed indicator, so your airspeed would appear to be increasing which in reality it is decreasing, causing the pilot to believe the aircraft was too fast and then reducing power and/or climbing - reducing the airspeed further (despite the airspeed indicator saying its increasing) causing the aircraft to go into a stall. Which in IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) or in hours of darkness when you have no reference to the horizon, can happen very quickly.

Thats the thing with airplane crashes, there are so many factors involved - investigators really do an absolute amazing job piecing every thing together.
Looking at the crash site, it is a very small footprint so that would suggest it was a sudden impact as opposed to a larger footprint that would have been left by a more controlled flight path or inflight breakup.

Looking at the photos, it appears the aircraft in question had inflatable boots installed - what these do is when ice present and the system is activated, air is pushed into the leading edge of the wings and horizontal/vertical stabilizer and the boots inflate, breaking off any ice on the airfoil. I am unfamiliar with the aircraft in question itself, just basing that assumption on the photos and what I know about Citations in general.

Last edited by Dizzy1 on Oct 14th, 2016, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

And just to be clear, I'm not speculating anything on the cause - I'm merely sharing information that I've found, such as the flightaware data and explanations of what could happen in certain situations such as icing and how some systems/procedures are designed to work.

Return to “Central Okanagan”