Poor Road Repairs Around the Area

monroe
Übergod

Re: Poor Road Repairs Around the Area

Post by monroe »

We've got it good. The Prairie people here will tell you that.

I travel to saskatoon and reddeer every now and then. You want to see shoddy roads?
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
2medics

Post by 2medics »

Speaking of rough roads, I would like to tie Christy Clark onto my stretcher and drive over the William Bennett Bridge and show her how rough that bridge is. It is absolutely horrible. Every one of my patience complain every time we drive over the bridge from the west side into Kelowna. The crew that maintained that bridge has such a short area to worry about and they can't even get that right. How hard can it be to resurface the bridge so it's smoother. I realize the speed limit is only 60 km/h but even at that speed it's constant bumps throughout the entire Bridge.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I pity paramedics that have to ride in the ambulances. What a rough ride!!!! Never had to use an ambulance until over the past couple of years, and I told the guys, "You need a new ambulance." Such a rough ride. Then, with the roads sooooo rough, that made it even worse. Take care out there, Para guys and gals. Hopefully, once Spring is here, we will see improvements for the roads.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

2medics wrote:Speaking of rough roads, I would like to tie Christy Clark onto my stretcher and drive over the William Bennett Bridge and show her how rough that bridge is. It is absolutely horrible. Every one of my patience complain every time we drive over the bridge from the west side into Kelowna. The crew that maintained that bridge has such a short area to worry about and they can't even get that right. How hard can it be to resurface the bridge so it's smoother. I realize the speed limit is only 60 km/h but even at that speed it's constant bumps throughout the entire Bridge.

if I'm riding in an ambulance I doubt I'm concerned about the ride or how rough the bridge is
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Anyone who thinks our roads are bad has never driven anywhere else, good lord! Potholes are a little worse than normal this year because of our Game of Thrones never ending winter.

And the bridge is bumpy because there are seams between the deck panels, just like every other bridge in the world.
2medics

Post by 2medics »

if I'm riding in an ambulance I doubt I'm concerned about the ride or how rough the bridge is

You have obviously never been inside an ambulance let alone know what paramedics do in an ambulance. You make it sound like everyone that calls an ambulance or extremely sick or ill. People get hurt from falls, motor vehicle accidents, children feeling unwell, elderly people are sick due to multiple illnesses. They expect a comfortable and caring ride. Driving down the highway all the patients feel that they're getting a good comfortable ride. But as soon as we hit the bridge it's a constant jumping up and down and not just from the dividing sections on the bridge, were talking every five feet.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I totally agree. I had to take the ambulance 3 times now, since I moved here. I had such pains, and every bump would hurt and make the pain worse. I wasn't deathly ill, just in a LOT of pain. The paramedics were awesome, but the ride was so bumpy and painful, between LC and Kel.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

A squeech bit OT but ... we used to export trucks into the US and a buddy of mine in WA state told me years ago, they used an F450 cutaway/cab&chassis for the ambulances. The company hired to do the build always said the suspension was too hard for its intended use.

Maybe same up here?
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
2medics

Post by 2medics »

monroe wrote:A squeech bit OT but ... we used to export trucks into the US and a buddy of mine in WA state told me years ago, they used an F450 cutaway/cab&chassis for the ambulances. The company hired to do the build always said the suspension was too hard for its intended use.

Maybe same up here?

We currently use Chevy chassis (Gas), we did have Ford (Diesel). Both not the best suspension.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I have talked to the folks at Fleet several times over the years about rough suspension.
The bottom line is, they can be built to ride smoother but this comes at the cost of stability.
The Ambulances can be made to ride smoother but would be far more likely to roll over during hard cornering.
There would be a noticeable bump if the Ambulance was to flip over on a corner.
Black Dogs Matter
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

There is this:
http://liquidspring.com/

I became aware of this system through;
http://crestlinecoach.com/

As I had a Family member who was once a long time employee.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Wow!! What a difference those suspension systems would make for the seniors buses and the ambulances, too. Don't know the costs, but, I imagine it may be a hindrance to having them installed, especially on the ambulances. The government is not too likely to have them installed on EMS vehicles, seeing the problem they have with getting too much help from the government. I wonder if they have anything like that in Canada. The low Canadian dollar would be a hindrance, too, especially coming from the US. Would make a lot better ride for patients, especially with all the potholes in the roads this time of year.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

It must be warm enough to repair potholes. I've noticed several on my daily flight path have been fixed. Yesterday afternoon I reported two pot holes that were worsening daily, both located in my neighbourhood. City of Kelowna crews were out there about 8 this morning to fix both of them. I wasn't really expecting they'd be able to get to them until late next week. Great response to my service request!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Yea well ya think that is bad come on down to Penticton - we now have three big pot holes ..... ever since the rcmp shut em down [icon_lol2.gif]
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I was in Chetwynd and Dawson Creek and Grande Prairie this weekend, and believe me...we have nothing to complain about..
We actually have it pretty good here..
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Mar 27th, 2017, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”