Fentanyl Antidote

mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Fentanyl Antidote

Post by mr.bandaid »

the truth wrote:I get the mental health part of it and they should get all the help they need, but the average person out there that knew better than to do drugs but did them anyway , then turned into a junkie ,that's all on them 100%

Define average. I have dealt with overdoses from street people to lawyers. Not too sure where the average is in that.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

the truth wrote:I get the mental health part of it and they should get all the help they need, but the average person out there that knew better than to do drugs but did them anyway , then turned into a junkie ,that's all on them 100%

then it's also on every fat *bleep*. they new the risks

throw them to the street
willow2

Post by willow2 »

I've been affected by fentanyl. My son's dad died of a OD, a friend OD, and I known of others.
I do know that lots of drug users don't get there by themselves. They just didn't wake up one day and decide to try it.
Lots and I mean lots are introduced to drugs thru their doctors. In fact the two people I know personally never took tylenol for a headache let alone intravenous drugs. But after having a major injury where given things like oxicodiene, oxicontine, and moraphine. These are very addictive drugs and given for only one week you will be addicted and also will notice with drawl effects, as well as having to take more for the pain or what ever it was prescribed for.

A lot of doctors continue to give out prescriptions without trying to get the person off them. In fact I personally have seen doctors prescribe for years with out even doing any further testing or investigating in to how the person can get off the drugs. And then I have seen those doctors then decide that they don't want to look after the patient or decided for themselves that they will no longer fill the script. Well that then puts the person in a situation where they will go thru with drawls and if you been on them long enough you will seek those drugs out. And seriously I never thought in a million years that a person would risk doing such a thing but I have seen it. Its not hard to find on the streets. And once they find a alternative to their doctor then that's it. They are now what everyone deams a drug addict. They were good before when the doctor gave them the script but now they are drug addicts.

Further more I have seen senior citizens take their script and go an sell it. Why you might ask. Mainly because their SS service check doesn't make it. They can't live on the income that the government gives for retired people. So they make up the money selling the script they where give by their doctor for the arthritis or what ever. And people living on disability also are doing this as well. These people are living in a desperate place, because they are also addicts. But because they don't have money to eat, pay rent, or just live a life they sell their script for cash. Then when they need more drugs they then steal beg or borrow to get more drugs. And that is everything from shop lifting to home invasions and what have you. Talk to anyone that has a drug addict in their life and they will tell you to lock everything up, its that bad.

You might ask why a person living such a dreadful life wouldn't just go and get some help. Well you might be surprised that just doesn't happen over night. In fact your first have to go thru interviews, see if you really have a problem, then you probably would have to wait at least 3 weeks maybe more to get into a program that is government funded. They expect you to go in straight not taking any drugs and continue that way with some counselling, all good if your where just quieting cigarette smoking. Further more lots are in the city where just a phone call will get you some more. If your lucky and you have some money then you can pay for a drug rehab that will cost you in thousands and the success rate is very low.

So why not treat it like it is. A health problem, not a criminal problem, these people have a very real problem and all of them are being treated like scum of the earth. No one wants this, no one. Go ask them if they could stop this without feeling any pain would they. And I bet you that 99.9% of them would. NO one wants to get up everyday and go look for money beg borrow and steal for this fix that if they don't get will result in them being very sick. Very sick. If you have ever experienced the flu then this would be the flu from hell. This is why people don't just quit, this is why people don't get help. This is mostly a problem of finances and lack of understanding.

You can not give people drugs and leave them to themselves, especially addictive ones. Cigarettes have a huge warning on them, they cause cancer they are addictive. A bottle of pills tells you when to take them and not to drive or use machinery, REALLY that would be the least of your concerns. Further more doctors should be held responsible for handing out that script. If your given one then you are only kept under strict care. Like pee test to be sure you eating them and not selling them and ways to reduce taking them.

Over 20 years ago you could not get fentanyl unless you where dieing of cancer in severe pain and in the hospital or under care of someone. It was considered the last drug for pain relief. If a doctor is prescribing that to someone that is able to walk into their office then they are being over prescribed. Its that strong.

I believe that safe injection sites are good, least street people are getting some help, but the people I knew who died did not do it on the streets. They died at home with someone else doing it also. One person died because the ambulance service did not have enough. Two people OD that day one died in the bathroom while the other got help from the ambulance. Very sad day as that person was only 37 and his doctor had been giving him 300 oxi somethings every two weeks for over 2 years?? Which he sold and then bought when he needed, except when he bought his last time it was fentanyl laced something?

The guy never wore short sleeves or shorts, even on the hottest days because of needle marks. Why didn't his doctor see this? Was so senseless for this person to die. There was no need, the doctor should have given him help instead of feeding his addiction. What kind of medical care do we have that doesn't take time to find a solution to the problem instead hand out pills ??
This needs in my onion to be legal in some way. If you have a problem then its a problem and it needs to be addressed. By making elicit drugs legal it then takes out the criminal aspect. You then get prescribed the drug, its clean and its safe, you then have taken out all criminal activity. No one needs to go steal stuff to get their fix. We already have a program like this called the methadone program. Which for most part makes a person visit the drug store everyday for their juice to drink so they don't get sick. What most people don't know it the narc is also a drug that can be used so that you don't get sick also. But doctors won't prescribe it for that. Which makes me ask why not? Everyone given a prescription for addictive drugs should be give narc for free. that stuff should be give away everywhere.

People need a increase in the SS checks senior need more money, people on disability need more money. Rents need to be reduced or more affordable housing for these types of people. You have to imagine living on next to nothing cause you paid you rent and you need to eat. What about toilet paper and things you take for granted. Food bank doesn't supply much of that stuff. People in BC get only 983.00 a month and that just recently went up for transportation??? before it was only 906. 00

If you could sell your pills for 25 dollars a piece and you have no food in your house what are you going to do? If you take the high road you have never been hungry. And also if you say there are services for everyone, sure. You live out of town cause the rent is cheaper there is no bus service your 68 years old with a disability. What are you doing? Begging at Costco cause you can't make ends meet. Is that OK? Some people can't be like everyone else. and this is why we have people on the streets.

Not saying this is how everyone get into this situation but I will say that getting addicted to anything is never planned. You just don't think it will happen to you. What starts out as fun and games and only once in a while, to every weekend, to during the week then buying larger quantities to then dealing it so you can pay for your addictions.
I don't know what is the solution to the problem is but I do know that there are lots of really ignorant people that don't understand or know what they are talking about. Go out to the street and talk to some of these people, you might be surprised to hear that they where normal people with a life till one day.
Last edited by willow2 on Dec 6th, 2016, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

willow2 wrote:I've been affected by fentanyl. My son's dad died of a OD, a friend OD, and I known of others.
I do know that lots of drug users don't get there by themselves. They just didn't wake up one day and decide to try it.
Lots and I mean lots are introduced to drugs thru their doctors. In fact the two people I know personally never took tylenol for a headache let alone intravenous drugs. But after having a major injury where given things like oxicodiene, oxicontine, and moraphine. These are very addictive drugs and given for only one week you will be addicted and also will notice with drawl effects, as well as having to take more for the pain or what ever it was prescribed for. A lot of doctors continue to give out prescriptions without trying to get the person off them. In fact I personally have seen doctors prescribe for years with out even doing any further testing or investigating in to how the person can get off the drugs. And then I have seen those doctors then decide that they don't want to look after the patient or decided for themselves that they will no longer fill the script. Well that then puts the person in a situation where they will go thru with drawls and if you been on them long enough you will seek those drugs out. And seriously I never thought in a million years that a person would risk doing such a thing but I have seen it. Its not hard to find on the streets. And once they find a alternative to their doctor then that's it. They are now what everyone deams a drug addict. They were good before when the doctor gave them the script but now they are drug addicts.
Further more I have seen senior citizens take their script and go an sell it. Why you might ask. Mainly because their SS service check doesn't make it. They can't live on the income that the government gives for retired people. So they make up the money selling the script they where give by their doctor for the arthritis or what ever. And people living on disability also are doing this as well. These people are living in a desperate place, because they are also addicts. But because they don't have money to eat, pay rent, or just live a life they sell their script for cash. Then when they need more drugs they then steal beg or borrow to get more drugs. And that is everything from shop lifting to home invasions and what have you. Talk to anyone that has a drug addict in their life and they will tell you to lock everything up, its that bad.
You might ask why a person living such a dreadful life wouldn't just go and get some help. Well you might be surprised that just doesn't happen over night. In fact your first have to go thru interviews, see if you really have a problem, then you probably would have to wait at least 3 weeks maybe more to get into a program that is government funded. They expect you to go in straight not taking any drugs and continue that way with some counselling, all good if your where just quieting cigarette smoking. Further more lots are in the city where just a phone call will get you some more. If your lucky and you have some money then you can pay for a drug rehab that will cost you in thousands and the success rate is very low.
So why not treat it like it is. A health problem, not a criminal problem, these people have a very real problem and all of them are being treated like scum of the earth. No one wants this, no one. Go ask them if they could stop this without feeling any pain would they. And I bet you that 99.9% of them would. NO one wants to get up everyday and go look for money beg borrow and steal for this fix that if they don't get will result in them being very sick. Very sick. If you have ever experienced the flu then this would be the flu from hell. This is why people don't just quit, this is why people don't get help. This is mostly a problem of finances and lack of understanding. You can not give people drugs and leave them to themselves, especially addictive ones. Cigarettes have a huge warning on them, they cause cancer they are addictive. A bottle of pills tells you when to take them and not to drive or use machinery, REALLY that would be the least of your concerns. Further more doctors should be held responsible for handing out that script. If your given one then you are only kept under strict care. Like pee test to be sure you eating them and not selling them and ways to reduce taking them.
Over 20 years ago you could not get fentanyl unless you where dieing of cancer in severe pain and in the hospital or under care of someone. It was considered the last drug for pain relief. If a doctor is prescribing that to someone that is able to walk into their office then they are being over prescribed. Its that strong.
I believe that safe injection sites are good, least street people are getting some help, but the people I knew who died did not do it on the streets. They died at home with someone else doing it also. One person died because the ambulance service did not have enough. Two people OD that day one died in the bathroom while the other got help from the ambulance. Very sad day as that person was only 37 and his doctor had been giving him 300 oxi somethings every two weeks for over 2 years?? Which he sold and then bought when he needed, except when he bought his last time it was fentanyl laced something? The guy never wore short sleeves or shorts, even on the hottest days because of needle marks. Why didn't his doctor see this? Was so senseless for this guy to die. There was no need, the doctor should have given this guy help instead of feeding his addiction. What kind of medical care do we have that doesn't take time to find a solution to the problem instead hand out pills ??
This needs in my onion to be legal in some way. If you have a problem then its a problem and it needs to be addressed. By making elicit drugs legal it then takes out the criminal aspect. You then get prescribed the drug, its clean and its safe, you then have taken out all criminal activity. No one needs to go steal stuff to get their fix. We already have a program like this called the methadone program. Which for most part makes a person visit the drug store everyday for their juice to drink so they don't get sick. What most people don't know it the narc is also a drug that can be used so that you don't get sick also. But doctors won't prescribe it for that. Which makes me ask why not? Everyone given a prescription for addictive drugs should be give narc for free. that stuff should be give away everywhere.
People need a increase in the SS checks senior need more money people on disability need more money. Rents need to be reduced or more affordable housing for these types of people. You have to imagine living on next to nothing cause you paid you rent and you need to eat. What about toilet paper and things you take for granted. Food bank doesn't supply much of that stuff. People in BC get only 983.00 a month and that just recently went up for transportation??? before it was only 906. 00 If you could sell your pills for 25 dollars a piece and you have no food in your house what are you going to do? If you take the high road you have never been hungry. And also if you say there are services for everyone, sure. You live out of town cause the rent is cheaper there is no bus service your 68 years old with a disability. What are you doing? Begging at Costco cause you can't make ends meet. Is that OK? Some people can't be like everyone else. and this is why we have people on the streets. Not saying this is how everyone get into this situation but I will say that getting addicted to anything is never planned. You just don't think it will happen to you. What starts out as fun and games and only once in a while to every weekend to during the week then buying larger quantities to then dealing it so you can pay for your addictions.
I don't know what is the solution to the problem is but I do know that there are lots of really ignorant people that don't understand or know what they are talking about. Go out to the street and talk to some of these people, you might be surprised to hear that they where normal people with a life till one day.

welcome to forums and thanks for well thought out post

but for the love of good please work on paragraph spacing...halfway through it went blurry

white space is everything!
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Willow2, please don't take gmans comment as criticism. You sound passionate about your stance on the subject. When you spend the time to write something so important to you, in a public place, you are doing so to get a message across.

I'd bet that most people won't bother to read what you wrote, not because it doesn't fit with their views, but because they just can't read a wall of text. In the future, if you want your message to be read, break individual thoughts into separate paragraphs and if you're going to write a very long post, then you may want to consider adding titles to each though so that those of us with limited time, can pick and chose which paragraphs are of specific interest to us. :)

For me, I got through the first 5 sentences then scrolled down and stopped reading.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

youjustcomplain wrote:Willow2, please don't take gmans comment as criticism. You sound passionate about your stance on the subject. When you spend the time to write something so important to you, in a public place, you are doing so to get a message across.

I'd bet that most people won't bother to read what you wrote, not because it doesn't fit with their views, but because they just can't read a wall of text. In the future, if you want your message to be read, break individual thoughts into separate paragraphs and if you're going to write a very long post, then you may want to consider adding titles to each though so that those of us with limited time, can pick and chose which paragraphs are of specific interest to us. :)

For me, I got through the first 5 sentences then scrolled down and stopped reading.

I agree and did the same thing. I wan't to read more but just couldn't. Willow, please just use the edit post feature and add a couple of spaces between paragraphs. I am not trying to be mean, just helpful. I will check back later and try again. May peace be with you.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

Addicts have no need to get clean when offered freebies that the rest of us have to work & pay for. Blame game helps their cause but, can be a crutch too!
Non profit thrive on donations and they have to protect their own salaries. Ego's need that rush ( & yes, notary!) of knowing they wear the badge of being an advocate for the homeless.
Substance abuse is affordable for a few reasons! It will continue to be a viscous circle until forced to get clean and be a production citizen. Selfishness happens to those who are handed things for free. Put the dealers out of business...by not offering(or aiding & abetting ) any customers.
Free up the beds in shelter to those who are truly homeless and not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Because they are too afraid to access the shelters who aid & abet abusers.
Just say it as it is!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Exactly :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

willow2 wrote:I've been affected by fentanyl. My son's dad died of a OD, a friend OD, and I known of others.
Lots and I mean lots are introduced to drugs thru their doctors. In fact the two people I know personally never took tylenol for a headache let alone intravenous drugs. But after having a major injury where given things like oxicodiene, oxicontine, and moraphine. These are very addictive drugs and given for only one week you will be addicted and also will notice with drawl effects, as well as having to take more for the pain or what ever it was prescribed for.

A lot of doctors continue to give out prescriptions without trying to get the person off them. In fact I personally have seen doctors prescribe for years with out even doing any further testing or investigating in to how the person can get off the drugs. And then I have seen those doctors then decide that they don't want to look after the patient or decided for themselves that they will no longer fill the script. Well that then puts the person in a situation where they will go thru with drawls and if you been on them long enough you will seek those drugs out. And seriously I never thought in a million years that a person would risk doing such a thing but I have seen it. Its not hard to find on the streets. And once they find a alternative to their doctor then that's it. They are now what everyone deams a drug addict. They were good before when the doctor gave them the script but now they are drug addicts.

So why not treat it like it is. A health problem, not a criminal problem, these people have a very real problem and all of them are being treated like scum of the earth. No one wants this, no one. Go ask them if they could stop this without feeling any pain would they. And I bet you that 99.9% of them would. NO one wants to get up everyday and go look for money beg borrow and steal for this fix that if they don't get will result in them being very sick. Very sick. If you have ever experienced the flu then this would be the flu from hell. This is why people don't just quit, this is why people don't get help. This is mostly a problem of finances and lack of understanding.

You can not give people drugs and leave them to themselves, especially addictive ones. Cigarettes have a huge warning on them, they cause cancer they are addictive. A bottle of pills tells you when to take them and not to drive or use machinery, REALLY that would be the least of your concerns. Further more doctors should be held responsible for handing out that script. If your given one then you are only kept under strict care. Like pee test to be sure you eating them and not selling them and ways to reduce taking them.

I believe that safe injection sites are good, least street people are getting some help, but the people I knew who died did not do it on the streets. They died at home with someone else doing it also. One person died because the ambulance service did not have enough. Two people OD that day one died in the bathroom while the other got help from the ambulance. Very sad day as that person was only 37 and his doctor had been giving him 300 oxi somethings every two weeks for over 2 years?? Which he sold and then bought when he needed, except when he bought his last time it was fentanyl laced something?

The guy never wore short sleeves or shorts, even on the hottest days because of needle marks. Why didn't his doctor see this? Was so senseless for this person to die. There was no need, the doctor should have given him help instead of feeding his addiction. What kind of medical care do we have that doesn't take time to find a solution to the problem instead hand out pills ??

People need a increase in the SS checks senior need more money, people on disability need more money. Rents need to be reduced or more affordable housing for these types of people. You have to imagine living on next to nothing cause you paid you rent and you need to eat. What about toilet paper and things you take for granted. Food bank doesn't supply much of that stuff. People in BC get only 983.00 a month and that just recently went up for transportation??? before it was only 906. 00

If you could sell your pills for 25 dollars a piece and you have no food in your house what are you going to do? If you take the high road you have never been hungry. And also if you say there are services for everyone, sure. You live out of town cause the rent is cheaper there is no bus service your 68 years old with a disability. What are you doing? Begging at Costco cause you can't make ends meet. Is that OK? Some people can't be like everyone else. and this is why we have people on the streets.

Not saying this is how everyone get into this situation but I will say that getting addicted to anything is never planned. You just don't think it will happen to you. What starts out as fun and games and only once in a while, to every weekend, to during the week then buying larger quantities to then dealing it so you can pay for your addictions.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
I guess you could blame addiction on abuse, pain, doctors, peer pressure? or, how addictive it is? Blame it on gov't, seniors, or, how long it takes to get an appointment to start getting clean?
*I know a lady who was physically & mentally abused as a child. She is on long term disability due to her injuries from severe abuse and is in pain on any given day.
She still ' tries' to work small jobs in order to earn some independence & pride.
She also manages to stay clean.
I wonder what her excuse is?
Just say it as it is!

Return to “Central Okanagan”