To Pedestrians & Cyclists

Home of the traffic rant.
spooker

Re: To Pedestrians & Cyclists

Post by spooker »

So, we can all find another group to gripe about ... just saw this on my Facebook feed and thought of this thread immediately:

Dear motorists: Please get into the habit of looking before you do something. Oh and signal too. And take the extra minute or so to properly pull over before you let your passengers out. I know it's a huge temptation (especially in heavy evening traffic) to just let your passengers out while you are sitting in the live lane. I know pulling over and then trying to get back into traffic is a pain in the *bleep* and might add another few mins to your already busy day. But please understand that cyclist and other motorist cannot read your mind.
I know it's easy to get too comfortable in your driving habits. You roll stops. You veer right (without looking/signalling) when the person ahead of you is making a left and you want to get around. You roll the right on red. Pedestrians scramble across the street because you violate their space even though you are slowly creeping through to make your right.

Are we all doing everything we can personally do? I know I'm cycling over to Lordco this afternoon to get a replacement headlight for my car which I noticed Saturday had one burned out ...
anakerose

Post by anakerose »

I know what you guys mean. I nearly hit some guy walking across the road while I was going 60km/hr and the only reason I saw him was the slightest of glints from his headphones. I doubt he even realized I was there. All dressed in black and I barely swerved in time.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here are many items to help both pedestrians & cyclists... oh yes and person pushing baby stroller be seen, good for gifts.
https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... wbx7y4s4_b
Last edited by GordonH on Nov 29th, 2016, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I should start a "Good gifts" thread for that.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
spooker

Post by spooker »

So we don't leave out the rest of the road users on our gift giving spree ...

http://lifesaver-app.com/
http://www.drivebeehive.com/
http://www.getonetap.com/ *

* this is the one I use
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Gordon, please also post this in the North Okanagan forum.

I had a scare in Vernon last week when an impaired woman wearing all black just about walked infront of my bus.
At the last moment I just saw her uncovered ankles, and managed to safely swerve around her.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We think of nighttime as the worst, but really these days early morning, even 10 to seven is bad. I spotted two cyclists, one was all in black NO reflective tape, the other was slightly better with a light blue toque, on Spall Road. Both at 6:50, each at one of the two sets of lights on Spall, trying to cross.

By "spotted" I mean, one moved and other was saved by the blue in the toque. Otherwise, both were almost completely camo.

If I had a cycle store in this town, I'd be marketing cycle gear for reflective stuff like crazy.

Gramma buy for grandkids.
Mom and Dad, buy for the whole family.
Friends? Buy this reflective gear for cyclist stocking stuffer.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

To the black hoodie, black backpack, black clothing wearing kid on the tiny black BMX bike, I could tell you were about to go right in front of the car, you stopped yourself just in time. It was dark out right? 5 pm, corner of Ethel and Harvey.

Thank God. Oh, and get reflective tape, k?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Nippy out there riding tonight.. Close to Zero F in Glenmore.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:To the black hoodie, black backpack, black clothing wearing kid on the tiny black BMX bike, I could tell you were about to go right in front of the car, you stopped yourself just in time. It was dark out right? 5 pm, corner of Ethel and Harvey.

Thank God. Oh, and get reflective tape, k?

He was probably heading out for his night of B&E's. Wouldn't want to be seen!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

I'm in agreement with cyclists having a light on their bike...especially after the sun goes down.
BUT...a 'good driver' should also be watching out :200: for pedestrians & cyclists....and, school zones!
:up:
Just say it as it is!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

[quote="artistwithaflare"]I'm in agreement with cyclists having a light on their bike...especially after the sun goes down.
BUT...a 'good driver' should also be watching out :200: for pedestrians & cyclists....and, school zones!
:up:[/quot

Self preservation play's the biggest
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Dirtybiker, generally I'd agree with you but the uniform of choice seems to be anything black.

Seems to go like this?

"Is it daylight? Yes? I'll wear anything not black."
Is it pitch black outside? Night? Early morning? Yes? I'll put on this matching pitch black outfit."
salembell

Post by salembell »

Bsuds wrote:I like the reflective clothing...gives me sumpthin to aim at.

I hate to miss anyone. :D

"The difference between a Beer and your Opinion? I asked for a Beer!
I'll give you my opinion when you buy me that beer! :130:

I'm the last person on a bike you want to aim for............. :147:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Good News. The City is looking at a project to try cleaning some of the bike lanes for Winter use.
I fired off an Email to Counciller Hodge, outlining some concerns about Sexsmith, which seems to be the commuter bike route to UBC for many cyclists. Hope this is a positive move forward .

Counciller Hodge, during the discussion expressed concerns over how many cyclists are riding in the winter. So if you are, or would ....if the more heavily lanes were being cleared...and you want your views or interest known, please send a note to
[email protected]
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”