yet urba i think is public

and Rut Park S is private members

i'm sooooo confused

:skippingsheep:
Dr.Shave : need a trim ?
ex union guy

Re: Rutland Community

Post by ex union guy »

Ah I see it is totally funded with tax dollars off property taxes.
They have been around for a bit what have they done the web site
is pretty plain. What do they do for the cash from the tax payers.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

hellanhunt wrote:i should go back to school i'm sooooo confused

when i go to those sites one is almost secret urba

the other airs everything in the pub-lic RPS

yet urba i think is public

and Rut Park S is private members

i'm sooooo confused

:skippingsheep:

Add to the confusion is the fact that the Rutland Park Society doesn't have a park anymore...Kelowna Fight Club is a more appropriate name.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

JayByrd wrote:I don't live in Rutland, but I've worked there since 2004, and I've lived in Rutland four different times (ahh, to be a renter most of your life). Nothing about Rutland itself ever made me want to get out, despite living twice in not-especially-nice neighbourhoods (including one that was a Molotov throw away from Hein Rd). Never had a problem with the attitude of people there, nor had a reason not to patronize any business there. One thing I appreciate about the people in the Rutland community is they've never wasted their time trying to earn the favour of the bluebloods in other parts of the city.

We're deliriously happy in the neighbourhood we're in now, but if we had occasion to move, I'd have no problem going back to Rutland.

"Bluebloods" made me laugh. AKA tramps with money who look down their nose at you.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I raised both of my kids in Rutland - loved it!
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
kelbear25
Fledgling

Post by kelbear25 »

When we moved here 13 yrs ago we were warned to not live in Rutland. Yet that is where we found a great rental option in the area totally by fluke while the other places I looked (around capri, pandosy) were hell holes. Since then we've stayed in the area because our jobs are close by (10 Min drive or 20 min by bike!). I can walk or bike to nearly every service needed. Recreational facilities are great- YMCA, Arena, sportsfields. (something Glenmore area for example is sorely lacking). Its family friendly and my kids have lots of other kids to play with, can walk to the Y or BMX track or to school. Traffic is hardly an issue in the area, our neighborhood is safe, lots of parks nearby and I can walk for 10 min and be in a rural farm setting to go get fresh produce or visit the horses. Sure in the heat of the summer would be nice to be close to the lake, but for every other day the 5-10min drive to work or anything i need is worth it.

For improvements to the area, I'd like to see continuous sidewalks, and some efforts to encourage property owners to clean up their properties (particularly in the older areas like around asher rd.)
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

hellanhunt, it's rather backwards that you're asking those questions here, instead of contacting URBA/RPS directly.

Or maybe these are really just comments, in the form of questions, and you don't actually want to know?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
ex union guy

Post by ex union guy »

A call to the city of Kelowna service line and I was told the city could contribute up to and maybe more than $200000.00 a year to the business group.
Wow that's a lot of money. I understand but may not be correct there is no fee to join just need to have a business in the district? That's a great way to get some of your property tax back if your building is in the defined area.
I did not see any financials on web site you provided to this thread, the city claimed not having any for the business group. Since funded by tax dollars should they not be posted?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

At the risk of trying to play moderator...

hellanhunt and ex union guy, there is a thread already regarding the Rutland Park Society, and you are both active in it. Discussion of RPS should probably remain there.

I'm not sure anyone on this forum knows the inner workings of URBA. If you really want to know about them (and aren't just asking questions as a way of calling them on something), your best bet is to contact them. There is a phone number and email address on their website.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Traci

Post by Traci »

ex union guy wrote:It would be nice if Rutland had something like the downtown business association in Kelowna.

It would be nice ifor URBA was like DKA. We could use Small shop Saturdays and more volunteers to make a presence known as at 630 at night walking from work to car there is people smoking weed and single women can feel a bit intimidating. When I rented space downtown there was always a number to call if people loitered in front of shop or drug activity. I'm quite unsure what URBA offers as none of these things are up here. I do enjoy paraking in URBA after 5 when I can.
Traci

Post by Traci »

Rutland is an amazing place to raise a family. There is comredery and neighbourhood togetherness. We host May Days one of the oldest events in the valley. We have the longest running flea market on every Sunday from 8 am to 1 pm now called a community market. We are working on a night market with higher end vendors entertainment and food trucks. Rutland has many great things to offer.

Every community has its ups and downs but we are a strong community! !!

URBA began many years before under a different view. I have to say I would love to see them begin a small shop Saturday so businesses that wouldn't normally get visits can enjoy more people knowing them.

We have so many small business that you probably would not even know existed.
r96vl
Fledgling

Post by r96vl »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 13th, 2017, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Traci

Post by Traci »

Jan 5th everyone agreed to work together please refrain from these team w comments. I am on the board and I am team Rutland.

The comment is offensive and demeaning. Thanks.
hype14
Fledgling

Post by hype14 »

Why would you find this comment 'offensive and demeaning'?

On a brighter note, Plaza 33 just added a tattoo shop - looks like they have some amazing talent and just might have to check it out :)

Also, anyone have recommendations for awesome food in the Rutland area that delivers and is affordable?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

We like Pizza Factory. Sat and Rav have done an awesome job with the place. I can remember before we even started ordering there, seeing her moving a cart of veggies from the Old Town Farm Market down to their store. :)

Our Taco Time is better than the one down at Dilworth Mall.

Latin Fiesta and Pakora Palace are awesome, but I don't know if they deliver.

Olympia Greek Taverna delivers, and the food is GREAT, but I don't know if you'd consider it affordable?

We have a Wok Out restaurant in the strip mall by the 7-11, their food is good and they deliver - not an overly expensive chinese food either.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Central Okanagan”