Rutland Community

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Rutland Community

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 1st, 2019, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
2x4eyes

Post by 2x4eyes »

The Board of Education for SD#23 (Central Okanagan) has had the replacement/building of a new Rutland Middle School as a priority for many years - not the Ministry of Education. It has been a longstanding discussion point for Ministry and School District Staff.

I'll pass along the petition link.

Perhaps it is time for City Staff and Council to look for funding avenues and other means to help bring the building of a new RMS to fruition - but will they take any action on behalf of their citizens and/or the constituents they serve? We'll have to see...

'Supportive housing' developments are needed regardless of where they are built...This is what happen's when small issues are allowed to grow rather than immediately dealing with it....
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I raised both of my kids in Rutland - it was awesome :)
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
TJSmith
Übergod

Post by TJSmith »

I love Rutland
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

Rutland is NOT bad at all, and if you think it is, you aren't good in the head. Most of Rutland's poor reputation comes from rich snobby people in the Mission looking down on blue collar people who aren't as rich. Those folks would not be caught dead in Rutland unless going to Costco or passing thru to Big White. Rutland is actually the most normal part of town with most normal type people. Overall Kelowna is not a normal city, its a playground for millionaires, most cities are not like this.

There are 3 or 4 bad neighborhoods in Rutland, but which community doesn't have that? There are more "ghetto" areas than that in Inner City Kelowna. Those 3 or 4 streets are NOTHING compared to some actual ghettos in USA. I've been to Cleveland, NEVER want to be anywhere near that city again! And it still isn't as bad as Detroit, which I've never been to. Hein Road is pretty tame in comparison lol.

Rutland's appearance does tend to make it look bad. There are plenty of perfectly fine neighborhoods that could use a little sprucing up! More trees (Siberian Elms do NOT count), and less gravel and parked cars on front lawns. Those sorts of things. Fix up the town centre, higher density.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

I’d like to share my two cents. I moved to Rutland from Vancouver about 12 years ago. I own a house on merrifield road. I have lived in the same house for the twelve years I have been here. Rutland is far from nice anymore. Our cars are constantly being broken into. We once found a junkie transient sleeping in the cold storage at the back of my house. I have two teen daughters whom are afraid to walk anywhere at night alone. Which I guess is normal, there has been in the last 5 years, a couple of murders very close by, a lot of drug use, a lot of crime...yes these things happen everywhere, but let’s not act like Rutland is the holiest of alll. I don’t mind it here, but am getting quite frustrated with having to replace windows, pick up needles left behind, and the constant criminal activity. I am working behind hein road right now and living in east Vancouver for 22 years, was nicer, and a safer community then the action I see going on between 5 houses all day!
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Rutland is not the only area of town with these problems. Have read of homeless problems in the Mission ,Capri area, Down town, and Enterprise way.
TJSmith
Übergod

Post by TJSmith »

motorhomebabe wrote:Rutland is not the only area of town with these problems. Have read of homeless problems in the Mission ,Capri area, Down town, and Enterprise way.

It’s true. There’s maybe even people on Hobson Road that dabble in crime, which by extension, potentially contributes to addiction and homelessness in the community.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Which is why I don't post in here very often, always some sarcastic idiot.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

are mayor basram jhs and bc housing have killed rutland :-X vote for me next election i will clean this city up
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Anybody tried Basha Donair?

Its freaking awesome.
Oldsmobileguy

Post by Oldsmobileguy »

Moved to Rutland in 1973. Its changed quite a bit since then, but I feel there is more family connections there than maybe downtown Kelowna. Most of my friends in school either emigrated here (Rutland), or their parents and grandparents did. Most of my friends were born out of families who immigrated here in the late 20s, early 30s. When my 3 kids just happened to attend all the same schools I did when I was young, half their friends last names were ones I knew well.

What really bugs me is the way some media outlets portray Rutland. Rutland murder this, or Rutland crime that. Wasn't Rutland amalgamated to KTown in 74? So why do some media outlets have headlines screaming like Rutland is a foreign country?

Rutland (Kelowna) always seems to get a bad rap for crime. Lived there for 43 years, and the most I saw were a few fist fights, a drunk passed out in the gutter in front of Burger Baron (It was Tastee Freeze back then), and maybe a few loud parties. Never once had my car broken into, or anything stolen. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was forced to move a block away from the new cop shop on Clement 2 years ago. Since then, my car has been broken into 6 times, was tried to be stolen. Table saw stolen in broad daylight etc. I was swarmed by a group of teens on Bernard and stabbed. Everyday something gets stolen out of our back yard. I love Rutland and I look forward to when I can move back.

I'm not saying Kelowna is worse than Rutland per se, but I think this huge collection of druggies in our neighborhood has a lot to with the crime. I'm sick and tired of being asked for spare change every damn where I go downtown. Who carries change these days? It all goes on plastic. Then they swear at you if you say no. Sure I was asked for change outside Willow Park and Shoppers Village (If you lived in Rutland as long as I did, you would know Shoppers Village-Plaza 33 now), but at least I wasn't sworn at. I was asked for change in downtown Kelowna a while back by someone claiming he needed it for food. I didn't have change, but I just got out of Safeway and had some pop top cans of Chunky soup, and a wrapped plastic spoon. Gave it to the guy and he threw it on the ground. He told me in no uncertain terms to go fornicate myself. $6 worth of food. Boy I was mad. But does anyone remember that homeless guy Gary Wong in Rutland? He got into that housing, got a haircut and suit, and I couldn't even tell it was the same guy. He asked me for change once at Willow Park when he was homeless. For food and I said sorry all I have is plastic. He begged me for a burger so I bought him one. He was grateful and at least didn't throw it on the sidewalk.

Long live Rutland! Can hardly wait to move home!
Oldsmobileguy

Post by Oldsmobileguy »

Tankur wrote:I’d like to share my two cents. I moved to Rutland from Vancouver about 12 years ago. I own a house on merrifield road. I have lived in the same house for the twelve years I have been here. Rutland is far from nice anymore. Our cars are constantly being broken into. We once found a junkie transient sleeping in the cold storage at the back of my house. I have two teen daughters whom are afraid to walk anywhere at night alone. Which I guess is normal, there has been in the last 5 years, a couple of murders very close by, a lot of drug use, a lot of crime...yes these things happen everywhere, but let’s not act like Rutland is the holiest of alll. I don’t mind it here, but am getting quite frustrated with having to replace windows, pick up needles left behind, and the constant criminal activity. I am working behind hein road right now and living in east Vancouver for 22 years, was nicer, and a safer community then the action I see going on between 5 houses all day!
You gotta be kidding. DTES nicer than Rutland? You must have scored some good dope for 22 years. My dad lived there in the late 50s and it was a s*ithole. Sorry to hear about your cars and the junkie though. I live a block away from the new cop shop and my car has been broken into 6 times, and had the ignition smashed by a druggie trying to steal it. I feel your pain and I was just joking with my first remark. But it seems to me that drugs are much of the root of the problems nowadays. When we grew up we had weed, shrooms and acid. Now its a veritable drugstore of illicit substances out there. I feel sorry for your daughters. Mine had to walk 2 miles to work at 4:30 AM. I was terrified for her everyday, but proudly she just passed her driving test and can now drive safe and warm to work.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

I lived Fraser and 5th, the clean side of the tracks. No offence taken bud, dtes has pretty much a street of a bout 2 miles in where all the bad drugs and crime happen. Outside of Hastings though. Dtes was definitely a much better living experience with the commercial and broadway area,the old historic little Italy.. Rutland has .....the burger baron, a bud for junkies to shoot up in ,...
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

Tankur wrote:I’d like to share my two cents. I moved to Rutland from Vancouver about 12 years ago. I own a house on merrifield road. I have lived in the same house for the twelve years I have been here. Rutland is far from nice anymore. Our cars are constantly being broken into. We once found a junkie transient sleeping in the cold storage at the back of my house. I have two teen daughters whom are afraid to walk anywhere at night alone. Which I guess is normal, there has been in the last 5 years, a couple of murders very close by, a lot of drug use, a lot of crime...yes these things happen everywhere, but let’s not act like Rutland is the holiest of alll. I don’t mind it here, but am getting quite frustrated with having to replace windows, pick up needles left behind, and the constant criminal activity. I am working behind hein road right now and living in east Vancouver for 22 years, was nicer, and a safer community then the action I see going on between 5 houses all day!

Sorry to hear but you live in one of the Crap neighborhoods in Rutland.
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree

Return to “Central Okanagan”