Fortis Bills

phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Fortis Bills

Post by phasyluck »

My back was sore from grabbing my ankles due to my old Glenmore gas and power bills.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Gypsylady wrote:Does anyone know when a person can start equal monthly payments? We just moved into a new
condo so they don't have any history on this building.

Why would you want equal monthly payments plan?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Getting the hell off the grid, may start to become appealing very soon.

Combo of solar & wind electricity generation (battery backup) with wood heat (latter one may need to be living outer edges of city limits)

Added later: to hell with selling extra back to Fortis
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Even Steven wrote:Why would you want equal monthly payments plan?

Er so they can pay same every month and budgeting becomes easier?

In answer to the question i would think they would allow you to do an equal payment schedule almost straight away, i'm sure we set ours up after we moved in.
stardriftinhorses

Post by stardriftinhorses »

I wish my power bills were that low! Electric heat, keep the house at 60f all day and my bills are around $600/mth in the winter!
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Gypsylady wrote:Does anyone know when a person can start equal monthly payments? We just moved into a new

You can start right away, they allowed us too when we moved in to our current place. They just based the monthly payments off the old tenants usage, and after a year they always re-evaluate your usage. We ended up getting a good chunk of money back after our first year because we were using a lot less than the old tenants.

ETA: Just make sure you are keeping a watch on your bills, and comparing the usage and price from the last year.
hail Satan y'all
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Thank you "Spooker" for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated. Puts me somewhat at ease.
1200sq/ft condo latest 2 month bill $229. Temp set at 20C in Living/dining/kitchen when home. When out down to 18C. Bathrooms set at 15C as I don't need heat as enough comes in from hallways. Bedroom when not in use at 15C and before to bed up to 18C. Triple glass windows. Anyone else to compare for me? Or have better ideas as to use electricity? So the age old question I have, should I keep the settings all at 20C or is the adjusting to lower when not home and then adjusting back up to 20C more efficient? When I am asking people I get many different answers either way. Any input will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Heat off when not home is most efficient.
As the temperature indoors decreases the heat transfer thru the walls decreases also.
If u leave heat on, the temp difference between in and out is higher and heat transfer remains high, yet nobody is even home.

Heat loss will continue until the energy lost equals the energy created.
Many think it takes too much energy to bring temps back up, but that's not at all correct.

Example, if the heat is off for the day, and inside temps equalize at 15c, if outdoor temps are the same, the same amount of energy is required to reheat if the heat has been off a month or more and the interior temp is 15.
Either way no money spent on heat while it's off.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
spooker

Post by spooker »

We drop the temp in the house to 17C at night ... usually from 9:30 to 7:30 ... if we leave for the weekend or if my wife visits relatives for a few days and leaves me home I'll drop it to 18C for the whole time ...

I have the 7-day programmable themostat so I have different schedules for the weekend as for weekdays ... anytime I know that we'll be out of the house for 10 hours or more I'll drop the temp a few degrees ...

The new Nest and the like thermostats have a "fence" function that will actually note when you leave the house and know when you are coming back (based on the app being installed on your smart phone) ... trying to get my wife to let me upgrade ours ...
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

I have had nothing but excellent experience with Fortis Bills.

The first Bill upgraded the service on our house from 110A to 200A, and the second Bill gave me no choice but to turn the breaker off!
marshp0

Post by marshp0 »

2400 sq ft home. 500/month in electricity, baseboards.
We are getting r a p e d!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

marshp0 wrote:2400 sq ft home. 500/month in electricity, baseboards.
We are getting r a p e d!

I'd be looking at getting a pellet stove to supplement the electric heat.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

We use new wood stoves to heat our farm house. There is electric heat in two rooms, one of which we do not use much

so the heat is kept to a bare minimum in there. Up in Joe Rich we do not have access to gas and are stuck with using

electricity for cooking, appliances, some heating.

For just the house alone, which is small, our bills average about $700 a month in the winter.

Our barn which is not heated but we use the lights in is not far behind at about $600.00 a month.

Fortis is truly screwing us.

When I've called them about it they say, "Well, don't complain to us. Fortis applies for a rate increases to the regulators and

they have all been approved so you better go talk to them. All our increases have been approved and there is nothing

that can be done about it"
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

It is a year after you move in.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

I had a pellet stove...it cost 5.99 ea. day per bag
so, I downsized to a tiny one bedroom apt.
Now I'm paying 400.00/every 2 months just for elec. and I turn the heat off during the day.
Yes, living off the grid is becoming more and more appealing!
Solar & a Tiny Home here I come!
Now, can someone please help me build it? :D
Just say it as it is!

Return to “Central Okanagan”