Fatal tugboat sinking

vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Fatal tugboat sinking

Post by vegas1500 »

Anonymous123 wrote:
Atomoa wrote:Not very familiar with tugboats so I can guess that there may have been a issue with the operator being trapped in the operators area if the tug went down fast.

2 men killed on the job in the Okanagan in the last few weeks.

Some agency should be looking at this tug for safety inspection reports.

They will. OH&S will launch a full investigation. I had the misfortune to be around a work place fatality years ago and I can tell you that no stone was left unturned. The investigation lasted for a long time before their report was released.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I climb into the #1 boiler twice a year .. Done so for the last 5 in a row. I've also sandblasted some of those tugs. They're sturdy... Tolko has more than adequate safety procedures I have to follow for what I do there...Stuff like gas sniffers that MUST be used before I enter a cold boiler or the fire box , charting my every entry and exit AND the rub there is that I have my own force fed oxygen supplied helmet.. I have to recertify my confined space awareness ticket every two years as well as my Tolko safety indoctrination.... So it's safe to say the the mill does it's due diligence when it comes to safety..

Out of respect for the deceased and his family , the good men who take care of me and my " competant attendants " and the last employer to provide good wages in this town , can you all just wait til we find out what really happened before we throw stones ???

PLEASE ?

TIA

Mike...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

another local news source posted an article with an interview from a former worker who quit due to safety issues ..he said 11 yrs ago that this boat will go down and someone might not make it...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

W105 wrote:another local news source posted an article with an interview from a former worker who quit due to safety issues ..he said 11 yrs ago that this boat will go down and someone might not make it...

Did they find out how new their boats are compared to 11 YEARS ago ?? I know of two new ones in the last 5years......

Just saying....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

read the article, it's easy to find online (I don't know if I am allowed to post the link ??)... the former worker (who was also a tugboat operator) said the safety of the boom boats were being ignored, he actually has a lot to say about the mill's safety issues..
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

W105 wrote:another local news source posted an article with an interview from a former worker who quit due to safety issues ..he said 11 yrs ago that this boat will go down and someone might not make it...

Geez, if I was an ex-employee from 11 years ago, I would have said the same thing in an interview too. I bet right after that quote was published, he was on the phone to his labour lawyer.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

W105 wrote:read the article, it's easy to find online (I don't know if I am allowed to post the link ??)... the former worker (who was also a tugboat operator) said the safety of the boom boats were being ignored, he actually has a lot to say about the mill's safety issues..

I'm not doing that......

I'm putting my rocks away til I find out what really happened.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well I am not throwing rocks, maybe you think this former employee is ???

btw, I knew Ivor and his family..he was a good, kind man and he was one hell of a tugboat operator who loved his job and was very good at it...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jan 31st, 2017, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jan 31st, 2017, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reply to previous poster.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

W105 wrote:read the article, it's easy to find online (I don't know if I am allowed to post the link ??)... the former worker (who was also a tugboat operator) said the safety of the boom boats were being ignored, he actually has a lot to say about the mill's safety issues..

You of course went to the RCMP to report this?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I can't imagine what the poor chap went thru.
My condolences to his friends and family.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Fancy, now why would I take an article that I read online (which I'm sure many people have already also read) to the police ???? I have no idea if the former employee is just being slanderous or is actually telling his own truths..the former employee states his name in the article, you could easily comment on the article (it is open for comments) and ask HIM directly that question if that is your concern..

I already stated my truths, Ivor was a good, kind man and good at the job that he loved..this was a horrific tragedy and a huge loss to his family and friends
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

My sincerest condolences, and deepest sympathies for Mr. Lundin's family, friends and co-workers. May he rest in peace.
Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

My sincere condolences to his Family and friends as well. There will be tough times ahead for them and hope they find support in each other.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”