KGH Parking

Even Steven
Guru

Re: KGH Parking

Post by Even Steven »

LTD wrote:well that's great but not feasible for everyone

You can't make everybody happy.

You can build as much parking as possible, there's always will be grumpy old people who will say "What, I can't park right next to emergency room? What a stupid design, what are we paying them for???"
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Even Steven wrote:If you can't fit a vehicle within the white lines, you suck at parking, I'm sorry.

Lol...I can assure you I don't suck at parking. Lol

As I tried to convey, it's a truck I'm talking about not a compact car.

I've been ticketed a few times for taking up too much space.

I have no problem walking but in emergency cases where a loved one needs me it's been difficult.

Another incident happen just a few days ago. I had a family member in ER and kept having to run out and

'Top up' my parking. At around 11 pm I 'Topped up"...this was in the lot across the street from the ER entrance.

I assume this lot is for folks in ER.

The lot was not even half full and I paid the fee to 1 am.

Well, my family member finally got settled and admitted and I got out to the lot at 1:10...

there was a lovely blue ticket on my windshield. It kinda matched the blue cuss words i let loose with.

There were three other vehicles in the lot.

Grrrr...cut a person a break man

We're in ER for crying out loud!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

They should just blacktop over all that free green area between the building and the lake. It is not used to capacity. Perhaps a 5-6 story parkade? If the tree huggers complain, plant a garden on top of it. It's not like the patients will enjoy the view of the lake. Problem solved, thank you very much, please visit my go-fund-me page for city council.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Even Steven wrote:
You can build as much parking as possible, there's always will be grumpy old people who will say "What, I can't park right next to emergency room? What a stupid design, what are we paying them for???"

Lol..'grumpy old people'.

There are a LOT of grumpy young people in this ol World too...lol

And some of them I've watched park by ER and then walk right through the ER waiting room on their way to

others parts of the hospital.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

whatwhat wrote:Did you know there are only 4 ambulances in Kelowna? There is 1 in Lake Country, a couple in Westbank and 1 in Peachland they can use if the other 4 are being used, but that's it!

Please don't use the ambulance if it isn't an emergency.

Can you cite some reference for that? The reason I ask is that I frequently see at least 4 ambulances parked at the ambulance station on Mills Rd and I know there are usually one or two at the hospital at any given time, which leads me to think perhaps that figure is more rumour than fact.

As to the size of parking spots at the hospital, I think every parking lot has made their spots smaller. I drive a subcompact so it fits every parking spot but I sometimes wonder how anything bigger does as there's sometimes only a foot or so from my tires on either side to the lines. That's been a trend for some time now and the only notable exception is the gigantic slots at the Costco parking lot, which is a gong show for so many other reasons.

I'm with those predicting that we will see another hospital built down the road, but I don't see it going to West Kelowna, I predict it will be built at the UBCO campus.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 2nd, 2017, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't make it personal please!
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Even Steven wrote:*removed*

If Barney really paid until 1:00 AM, like he stated, and he came back to his truck at 1:10 AM (as stated), I think Impark was reaching straight into his wallet just because they could. A 15 minutes grace period in a hospital parking lot is not unreasonable, and ticketing someone that soon after the time expired is :cuss: Yes, time was up, but come on!! 10 minutes???!!! Impark SUCKS (hopefully that's not considered a negative business review LOL)
Last edited by RVThereYet on Feb 2nd, 2017, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Impark lot boys are just metermaid wanna-bees. It's either that job or lawn mowing and snow shoveling seasonally. (AND they get to wear a uniform).
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

w84u2 wrote:Impark lot boys are just metermaid wanna-bees. ....

Lol...that's an interesting comment but one I think might have some validity

Today I watched a Parking Police Person standing in front of a parked car at KGH for about three minutes, like he was waiting

for someone then stepped forward and put a ticket under the wiper blade. For poops and laughs I went to see see what time

the receipt in the window showed. It was exactly one minute past the expiry time.

I agree a fifteen minute grace period would be great.

We don't get refunds if we don't use the full time. I think it should go both ways.

It is a hospital after all not a leisure or shopping centre.
- Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ want to see something, look into who owns impark
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

GordonH wrote:^^^ want to see something, look into who owns impark

Lol...excellent

I wonder if I used the excuse "my dog ate my parking ticket" it would work? :up:
- Unknown
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

I am thinking that if I was to watch for expirations, bought a ticket for an additional 10 minutes, put my name and go-fund-me account info with an explanation of why I put extra time on their car. How many would be thankful and donate to my fund, so that I can continue my acts of kindness to others?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

RVThereYet wrote:If Barney really paid until 1:00 AM, like he stated, and he came back to his truck at 1:10 AM (as stated), I think Impark was reaching straight into his wallet just because they could. A 15 minutes grace period in a hospital parking lot is not unreasonable, but ticketing someone that soon after the time expired is :cuss: Yes, time was up, but come on!! 10 minutes???!!!

There used to be this thing called...can't remember....oh yeah, personal responsibility. Who cares if it was 10 minutes out or 5? or 1? You didn't pay, and you get a fine. Easy as that.

Everybody has excuses these days. Oh, my dog ate my quarter. Oh, it was only 10 minutes past the time. I was late, but it's Impark that sucks, and I'm a unique snowflake.

Take some responsibility like an adult, don't make up excuses like a 5-year old.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Barney Google wrote:Lol...that's an interesting comment but one I think might have some validity

Today I watched a Parking Police Person standing in front of a parked car at KGH for about three minutes, like he was waiting

for someone then stepped forward and put a ticket under the wiper blade. For poops and laughs I went to see see what time

the receipt in the window showed. It was exactly one minute past the expiry time.

I agree a fifteen minute grace period would be great.

We don't get refunds if we don't use the full time. I think it should go both ways.

It is a hospital after all not a leisure or shopping centre.

As I understand it (from a CBC Marketplace story about hospital parking a while back), the parking companies don't actually get the parking rates paid to them, those go to the hospital. They do however get to keep all the parking ticket fines, so naturally they have massive incentive to be jerks. I believe the time of issue is on the parking ticket, so if you get one within a few minutes of your time expiring it wouldn't be a bad idea to take it up with the hospital administration and/or IMPARK to try and get the ticket torn up.

I always make a point of passing along my parking receipt if there's more than an hour left on it and someone looking to take my spot. It makes me feel like I'm doing something nice and screwing the greedy *bleep* that decided to go with a system where the same spot gets paid for multiple overlapping times everyday.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

You know ... When I lived not even a block away from KGH , the wife and I were overjoyed bout her not having to pay for parking when she went to work... Yeah , she works there AND that's all I'm gonna say about that ..

You have NO idea how many times we've had to park on our front lawn because someone who's "relative" had "this or that" and they needed to park where we HAD to buy a pass ..

A much as I feel for you , this is too old for me .. I'm sorry your mom ( or uncle , dad , cousin , sister , father ) is ill ...

Knock on Basrans door OR the Minister of Heath about this as the city is in bed with IHA , something else I've learned with living ,as a tenant of IHA for the two years that we were , NOT mine to see if you can " borrow " a pass ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Central Okanagan”