KGH Parking

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: KGH Parking

Post by Barney Google »

Catri wrote:
As I understand it (from a CBC Marketplace story about hospital parking a while back), the parking companies don't actually get the parking rates paid to them, those go to the hospital. They do however get to keep all the parking ticket fines, so naturally they have massive incentive to be jerks. I believe the time of issue is on the parking ticket, so if you get one within a few minutes of your time expiring it wouldn't be a bad idea to take it up with the hospital administration and/or IMPARK to try and get the ticket torn up.

I always make a point of passing along my parking receipt if there's more than an hour left on it and someone looking to take my spot. It makes me feel like I'm doing something nice and screwing the greedy *bleep* that decided to go with a system where the same spot gets paid for multiple overlapping times everyday.

Well that answers a lot, Catri...thanks for sharing that info!

I wondered what the incentive was to watch time tick out on a vehicle.

Having experienced some very trying days at KGH, I can imagine what a kick in the teeth it would be to find a parking ticket

on your vehicle after you stayed extra time to comfort a dying family member.

Yes, folks should be adults and take reaponsiblIty but extending a window of leniency at a hospital would be

compassionately considerate.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Impark is not in the compassion and consideration business.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Catri wrote:I always make a point of passing along my parking receipt if there's more than an hour left on it and someone looking to take my spot. It makes me feel like I'm doing something nice and screwing the greedy *bleep* that decided to go with a system where the same spot gets paid for multiple overlapping times everyday.

Same tactic I use regularly. I'll be danged if I'm going to pay for a full day, then when something gets changed and I am on my way in just over an hour, let them gouge someone else multiple times for a spot I already paid for.

Not to mention it really tends to brighten the recipients day.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Catri wrote:Can you cite some reference for that? The reason I ask is that I frequently see at least 4 ambulances parked at the ambulance station on Mills Rd and I know there are usually one or two at the hospital at any given time, which leads me to think perhaps that figure is more rumour than fact.

No source, unfortunately. We had a first aid attainment come do a course at work and he gave us that information.
hail Satan y'all
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Even Steven wrote:
RVThereYet wrote:If Barney really paid until 1:00 AM, like he stated, and he came back to his truck at 1:10 AM (as stated), I think Impark was reaching straight into his wallet just because they could. A 15 minutes grace period in a hospital parking lot is not unreasonable, but ticketing someone that soon after the time expired is :cuss: Yes, time was up, but come on!! 10 minutes???!!!

There used to be this thing called...can't remember....oh yeah, personal responsibility. Who cares if it was 10 minutes out or 5? or 1? You didn't pay, and you get a fine. Easy as that.

Everybody has excuses these days. Oh, my dog ate my quarter. Oh, it was only 10 minutes past the time. I was late, but it's Impark that sucks, and I'm a unique snowflake.

Take some responsibility like an adult, don't make up excuses like a 5-year old.

Please don't patronize me Steven Even ... I simply suggested that a 10-15 minute grace period at a hospital parking lot would not be unreasonable. That's hardly avoiding personal responsibility and making "excuses like some 5 year old". Take a deep breath and try to put yourself into Barney's shoes for a minute, that's if you can tear yourself away from being Mr. Responsible for your own actions for that long ... lighten up Dude!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

RVThereYet wrote:That's hardly avoiding personal responsibility and making "excuses like some 5 year old".

That's exactly that. The only difference grown-ups do it online, and five-year olds can't reach the keyboards just yet.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Even Steven wrote:
RVThereYet wrote:That's hardly avoiding personal responsibility and making "excuses like some 5 year old".

That's exactly that. The only difference grown-ups do it online, and five-year olds can't reach the keyboards just yet.

Whatever Steve, like I said already... Lighten up!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Get back on topic and stop spatting please! :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
ArcticCatHouse

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

I drive a full size truck also, and fully sympathize with you.

I pulled in to Emergency this winter needing a wheelchair as we had a fairly serious situation, I had a full size truck and trailer behind, as we were loading the person in a wheelchair the parking Nazi comes out and says "You know you guys cant leave this truck and trailer here eh"!
My reply was : No *bleep*, now instead of standing there with your arms crossed watching do you think you can give us a hand with to door or something.
He turned around and walked away.

All we own is full sized pickups, it is a joke parking anywhere. (except Costco they actually give lots of room between the lines).

Even worse if you travel down to the Coast where the stalls are measured just wide enough for Smart cars, you need a shoehorn and a jar of Vaseline to get out of your truck.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

ArcticCatHouse wrote:I drive a full size truck also, and fully sympathize with you.

I pulled in to Emergency this winter needing a wheelchair as we had a fairly serious situation, I had a full size truck and trailer behind, as we were loading the person in a wheelchair the parking Nazi comes out and says "You know you guys cant leave this truck and trailer here eh"!
My reply was : No *bleep*, now instead of standing there with your arms crossed watching do you think you can give us a hand with to door or something.
He turned around and walked away.

All we own is full sized pickups, it is a joke parking anywhere. (except Costco they actually give lots of room between the lines).

Even worse if you travel down to the Coast where the stalls are measured just wide enough for Smart cars, you need a shoehorn and a jar of Vaseline to get out of your truck.

The communists, eco warriors, and David Suzuki supporters want us all to drive electric micro cars or ride $200 bicycles made in China.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Catri wrote:Can you cite some reference for that? The reason I ask is that I frequently see at least 4 ambulances parked at the ambulance station on Mills Rd and I know there are usually one or two at the hospital at any given time, which leads me to think perhaps that figure is more rumour than fact.

I didn't see a reply to your request. I'll do my best to offer one. Kelowna has more than 4 Ambulances as initially suggested. I don't have a number for you, but I suspect the person who posted that was actually referring to the number of full time staffed ambulances. If the number is 4, then it's 4. I don't know. But we have more than 4 ambulances. We may just only have 4 fully staffed. Once the ambulances start going out, they start backfilling with on call staff to allow for more ambulances.
Now, I could have some parts of this slightly wrong. But close enough.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I've been at KGH everyday now for well over a month.

Talking to Staff they are beyond frustrated with the parking situation.

Few have parking passes and have been on two and three year waiting lists.

They have to deal with the same parking frustrations as the general public.

Many of them have also shared that a move to out near the University would be a welcome one.

You should see all the student nurses and techs assisting here...it's GREAT!!!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Is the mayors wife busing it to work yet?, have I asked that.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

fall wrote:Is the mayors wife busing it to work yet?, have I asked that.

Oh yeah, Fall...some of the Staff have shared their thoughts on that little idea.

Lol...needless to say none of them have expressed being impressed by that little suggestion.
- Unknown
shec8

Post by shec8 »

I was talking with a lady who got a ticket with 20 minutes still left. When she complained to impark she was told the impark employee gave the ticket ahead of time as he would be on a break when the time ran out. Impark waived this ticket.

Return to “Central Okanagan”