Impossible to live in this town

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Impossible to live in this town

Post by Farmmaa »

LTD wrote:self centered is expecting to be paid more at the tax payers expense rather than move somewhere more affordable

What exactly do you not understand about this discussion ?
I don't think you understand the different between disability and welfare.

Many people on disability worked and contributed to the pot from which they are now being assisted from. They are getting back what they paid into for this very reason.

Why don't they just move somewhere more affordable ? Castaneter's response to pretty much every thread. Just move.

You have been given a plethora of reasons why it is not that simple.
These people have a disability.
Let that sink in for just a moment before we continue - a disability.

Most depend on friends and family to help them with every day tasks that the rest of us take for granted.
Shopping, walking up the street to get the mail, sometimes even daily bathing, cooking routines.
Many can not drive due to their disability.
They need access to more health care facilities than most of us do.

But, you consider them self centered for not moving to some small, out of the way town that is hours from medical facilities, where they have no access to family for assistance and no vehicle to get to appointments ? :135:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

We have an almost non-existant vacancy rate.

There is a fair amount of construction happening currently which may (or may not) alleviate the issue of housing.

In the case of people with disabilities, who is responsible for finding them housing? For that matter, for anyone who rents; who is responsible for finding them housing?

What sort of housing is expected?

My children are living at home currently. I don't expect them to move out soon because of the rental situation. We were talking about what they could expect, and they both agree that when they leave home they will likely be in shared accomodation; preferably with friends but possibly with strangers.

I have seen a number of people on some of the local fb shop n swap sites offering shared accomodation; that is, a room in a house and I would presume access to the common areas (kitchen, etc.).

When I first moved here, I was first in a motel (Okanagan Seasons), then in a shared accomodation situation. Then I moved again to another shared accomodation, then I got married and we live in our own house now (an older bilevel, but ours).

Given that people are more hesitant to buy an investment property now (the laws favour renters so heavily), who should be taking on the responsibility of finding housing for people?

I know that the Society of Hope does some good work in providing housing for those in need, but they don't have unlimited apartments. There are other groups as well such as Father Delestre and Habitat for Humanity but even with those, they are a drop in the bucket.
I haven't failed until I quit.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Farmmaa wrote:
LTD wrote:self centered is expecting to be paid more at the tax payers expense rather than move somewhere more affordable

What exactly do you not understand about this discussion ?
I don't think you understand the different between disability and welfare.

Many people on disability worked and contributed to the pot from which they are now being assisted from. They are getting back what they paid into for this very reason.

Why don't they just move somewhere more affordable ? Castaneter's response to pretty much every thread. Just move.

You have been given a plethora of reasons why it is not that simple.
These people have a disability.
Let that sink in for just a moment before we continue - a disability

Most depend on friends and family to help them with every day tasks that the rest of us take for granted.
Shopping, walking up the street to get the mail, sometimes even daily bathing, cooking routines.
Many can not drive due to their disability.
They need access to more health care facilities than most of us do.

But, you consider them self centered for not moving to some small, out of the way town that is hours from medical facilities, where they have no access to family for assistance and no vehicle to get to appointments ? :135:

talk about self centered don't you even begin to try and lecture me on disability I have a wife with a disability so until you've walked a mile in my shoes shut your trap, there are plenty of places cheaper than here with a hospital and all the necessary care facilities, paying people more disability to stay here is not an answer nor is it acceptable I understand the discussion more than you ever will and am very much aware of the difference between disability and welfare let that sink in for a minute
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well LTD, your wife is blessed she has a good man and a family to help (with love and kindness) with her disability... I have a family member who's wife has MS and my cousin works fulltime but also cares for his wife (so does their daughter)..it is not an easy job being a caretaker of a loved one..

have a friend here in Kelowna who has MS (she's now in a wheelchair) and has NO family..the conditions she's stuck living in "alone" are pretty appalling...sharing houses with room mates who steal from her, take her food, bedding etc and she has NO choice but to accept it with the measly $900+ a mth she receives...

just imagine your wife all alone living off $900 a mth with no help from anybody...most likely makes you sick to even think about....but that's how many people who are on disability are forced to live like...

many disabled people living in Kelowna are not suntanning enjoying the good OK lifestyle..many of them have lived here all their lifes and their health just went a different way...not cool to tell them to move because some part of society deems them useless..
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

W105 wrote:well LTD, your wife is blessed she has a good man and a family to help (with love and kindness) with her disability... I have a family member who's wife has MS and my cousin works fulltime but also cares for his wife (so does their daughter)..it is not an easy job being a caretaker of a loved one..

have a friend here in Kelowna who has MS (she's now in a wheelchair) and has NO family..the conditions she's stuck living in "alone" are pretty appalling...sharing houses with room mates who steal from her, take her food, bedding etc and she has NO choice but to accept it with the measly $900+ a mth she receives...

just imagine your wife all alone living off $900 a mth with no help from anybody...most likely makes you sick to even think about....but that's how many people who are on disability are forced to live like...

many disabled people living in Kelowna are not suntanning enjoying the good OK lifestyle..many of them have lived here all their lifes and their health just went a different way...not cool to tell them to move because some part of society deems them useless..

So what do you want to happen? Who do you expect to provide more subsidized housing?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

LTD wrote:
talk about self centered don't you even begin to try and lecture me on disability I have a wife with a disability so until you've walked a mile in my shoes shut your trap, there are plenty of places cheaper than here with a hospital and all the necessary care facilities, paying people more disability to stay here is not an answer nor is it acceptable I understand the discussion more than you ever will and am very much aware of the difference between disability and welfare let that sink in for a minute

Responding without the rude insults would be cool...but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

I don't believe you know a bloody thing about me, my family members, or my life.
No, I do not have a wife on disability, because, well....I'm a woman. but don't think for one minute that you are the only one here with more experience than they ever wanted with disabilities and being care givers.

Paying people with disabilities more so that they can stay in Kelowna ??
Where do you come up with this nonsense ?

Expecting ANYONE to survive in 2017 on less than $1,000 a month for housing, health care, transportation, food and essentials is ridiculous.
$1,000 a month does not buy that in any city anywhere in Bc.....or Alberta - yes, I lived there for many years and it is not much cheaper than here.
Expecting people to survive on the amount that disability pays...anywhere, not just here, is outrageous.

I assume that your wife does not have to provide for herself on less than $1,000 a month.
Many people on disability are not so fortunate. They do not have a spouse. They do not have a spouse's income to help them get by.
So no, you most certainly do not hold the market on knowing what these people are going through.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Lady tehMa wrote:
So what do you want to happen? Who do you expect to provide more subsidized housing?

How about expecting people to be able to collect enough money per month to actually survive?
That would be a start.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

What are the NEW refugees living on or getting a month from taxpayers...........across Canada?
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

lesliepaul wrote:What are the NEW refugees living on or getting a month from taxpayers...........across Canada?

You probably would not want to know. The larger the family the more money they get. No msp premiums ( had a lien put on my house for owing 600 ) ,gst rebates quarterly, the handouts don't seem to end. Why on earth would there be any incentive to work?
Disability is too low.
Out of what I pay in tax from my hard earned money and time away from my family I wish more of it went to the right places in my mind, with disability being one of them.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

lesliepaul wrote:What are the NEW refugees living on or getting a month from taxpayers...........across Canada?

too much
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

You probably would not want to know. The larger the family the more money they get. No msp premiums ( had a lien put on my house for owing 600 ) ,gst rebates quarterly, the handouts don't seem to end. Why on earth would there be any incentive to work?
Disability is too low.
Out of what I pay in tax from my hard earned money and time away from my family I wish more of it went to the right places in my mind, with disability being one of them.
[/quote]

I would sure like to have a say where my tax money goes...........FIRST! Once this country cleans up its own Federal and Provincial government created problems, then maybe ask me to help others. They sure have no problem squandering it without accountability but hey........"our NEW citizen's will vote for us (most important) because we took from our own to ensure they are VERY comfortable in their new digs".
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Disability is too low.

Refugee support on par with welfare assistance

Once permanent housing has been found, the federal government provides Syrian refugees with income support for up to one year or until the refugees can support themselves — whichever comes first.

Refugees receive up to a maximum of $25,000 per family, which includes "a onetime startup payment to assist the refugees in establishing a household in Canada, as well as monthly income support to help them get through their first year in the country," said Nancy Chan, a communications adviser in the Immigration Department.

"In addition to initial allowances issued while in temporary accommodation, government-assisted refugees receive monthly income support which includes a monthly food and incidental allowance that varies by family composition," said Nancy Caron, a third federal immigration official, in an email to CBC News.

"For Vancouver, this amount for a single person is $235 per month."

That's the same amount of money a welfare recipient living in B.C. would receive in support allowance, which includes money for food.

An adult on welfare, according to B.C.'s Ministry of Social Development, would receive $610 per month in income assistance — $375 for shelter and $235 for a support allowance that includes food.

"Government-assisted refugees...," said the B.C. ministry in an email to CBC News, "do not receive more monthly support than people on income assistance."

Additional financial support is available for Canadian families and persons with disabilities who are on welfare, said the ministry.

The Facebook post also cites a media report about NDP MP Jenny Kwan's efforts to urge the B.C. government to increase welfare assistance.

While it is fair to debate whether provincial governments should increase their standard rates for welfare, it is false to say Syrian refugees receive more financial support for food than Canadians on welfare.
Ottawa debunks other false claims

Another post shared online as recently as November claimed that Syrian refugees are receiving more in monthly financial assistance than Canadian pensioners.

The claim was circulated so widely that the federal Immigration Department debunked the claim.

"No. Refugees do not get more financial help from the federal government than Canadian pensioners do," said the website.

Privately sponsored refugees don't receive financial assistance from the government, as they are supported by individual Canadians or groups who have agreed to care for them.

"Normally, a private sponsor supports a refugee for 12 months, starting from the refugee's arrival in Canada or until the refugee becomes self-sufficient, whichever comes first," said a notice on the website.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

LTD, you suggest they move to a smaller cheaper place, well some of them have little in the way of public transportation, not every town has it.
One solution is to ride a bicycle, if you are still capable, but you have to be real careful,.... lest some King of The Road type takes offence at your riding and decides to roll coal... just to show you what they are really like..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Income assistance for up to one year, right. So out of the refugees that have been here over one year, how many are working? That's what I thought.
They may be on par with welfare assistance ( aside from the 25k one time bonus )
Add in not paying anything for healthcare, gst rebates, child tax and it all adds up to much more than the numbers mentioned above.
I also think the support groups and donations give the refugees more.
Disability deserves more for sure.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

so they get all this money and support ,having never paid a penny into the system :200: mean while are homeless issue gets worse, but we have room for 50,000 plus and counting homeless refugees that have and will cost canada over 1. billion
http://globalnews.ca/news/2594151/feder ... 1-billion/
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”