Gas Prices.

RVThereYet
Übergod

Re: Gas Prices.

Post by RVThereYet »

phasyluck wrote:Simple solution....lets all buy Teslas!!!

and then the price of them would go up, based on demand that is. lol!
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

But of course, the price of electricity is already rising in advance. Wait till electric cars have a decent chunk of the market.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Old Techie wrote:I can't help but feel you're missing my point here.

Are you going to tell me that those shoes are the exact same price in every store in town?

Same with eyeglasses? People get the choice to shop around for the other items, and they will find price variations.

In the case of fuel, not so much. That's called collusion.

If you doubt that, so be it, but I had a partner some years back, whose very job it was to call all the stations, including the competition, to inform them the price was going up.

I don't have an issue with the market dictating prices, but I do with market manipulation.

Would you feel the same as you do here, if it were insider trading on the stock market instead? It's basically the same thing.

Why wouldn't prices be the same? The product at all stations is virtually identical and the market dictates pricing.

Gas stations use excuses like costs increasing, oil going up, etc... because the general public accepts those as viable reasons. Reasons they don't like, but dumbed down enough that ultimately they'll accept it. If the oil companies just came out and said we're expecting increased demand from our customers so we're raising prices, then people would revolt. They don't want to take responsibility for their addiction to oil.

Our buying habits tell the gas companies we're happy with pricing and believe we're getting a good deal. If we weren't, we wouldn't keep feeding our insatiable appetite for it. You'll say, "well we need it". And I'll say "exactly".

You may not want to admit it, but the gas company is doing you a favor by not charging more. I'd bet you'd still go fill up your car without questioning it if gas cost $1.30... probably $1.50 as well and in all likelihood, you'd pay $2.00. So by selling you at $1.20, they're giving you a great deal that you'll keep buying at without changing your buying behavior.

Whether you want to admit it or not, you're content and happy with gas pricing. Your buying habits confirm it. Although you come on here and complain, "actions speak louder than words".
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

$1.05 - $1.07 in Vernon.

Glad I stopped in Vernon on my way back from Golden.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Oil companies are not stupid, they keep the price "just right" in the Okanagan. Fuel prices were a minimal concern for me when I left that financial prison.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Jonrox wrote:Whether you want to admit it or not, you're content and happy with gas pricing. Your buying habits confirm it. Although you come on here and complain, "actions speak louder than words".

Fuel is a necessity so your view is a bit simplistic.

You are correct though, I would pay $2.00 if they jacked it up that far, and I'd pass the cost on to you through higher prices.

I just happen to feel that it's an item that should be treated much like utilities, where they can't jack up the price without first obtaining approval. That's my opinion of the situation.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

If you think I'll pay that higher price, you should already be charging it. Not doing so is just giving money away. Chances are that I don't currently know your costs, so they don't factor into my decision to buy. And they won't ever.

As well, I don't even care what your costs are. If I were to buy whatever it is that you're selling, I wouldn't first ask what your costs are. When you go to the grocery store, clothing store, furniture store, lawyer, electrician, or anywhere you buy something... do you first ask what their costs are before you pay? You don't. You decide whether you're getting value for your money and if you are, then you make the purchase.

You can tell a smart, great company from one that's just average based on their pricing strategy. Good, average, or poor companies price based on costs. Great ones price based on what the market will pay.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Jonrox wrote: Good, average, or poor companies price based on costs. Great ones price based on what the market will pay.

Only in this backwards economy/society will someone call someone like this "great".

Shkreli.jpg
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Slider

Post by Slider »

Old Techie wrote:
Jonrox wrote:When you buy a $50 or $100 pair of shoes, you're still paying a 500% markup. I would venture of the things I listed, people would consider eyeglasses, clothing, and shoes all necessities yet they still have no problem paying very high markup on them.

Only gas makes people outraged and instantly turns them into experts with economics degrees (even though they virtually all get the economics wrong).

Here's the lesson folks... and I've said it countless times on these forums: pricing has nothing to do with costs. The market determines the price of goods. The market doesn't care what a company's costs are. You don't know the costs of most things you buy, yet you still buy them. Yet somehow you think gas should be different. It's ridiculous.

I can't help but feel you're missing my point here.

Are you going to tell me that those shoes are the exact same price in every store in town?

Same with eyeglasses? People get the choice to shop around for the other items, and they will find price variations.

In the case of fuel, not so much. That's called collusion.

If you doubt that, so be it, but I had a partner some years back, whose very job it was to call all the stations, including the competition, to inform them the price was going up.

I don't have an issue with the market dictating prices, but I do with market manipulation.

Would you feel the same as you do here, if it were insider trading on the stock market instead? It's basically the same thing.

Your right, the main point went right over their collective heads in here again.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Great companies price like this, but not every company that does so is great.
Slider

Post by Slider »

Old Techie wrote:
Jonrox wrote:Whether you want to admit it or not, you're content and happy with gas pricing. Your buying habits confirm it. Although you come on here and complain, "actions speak louder than words".

Fuel is a necessity so your view is a bit simplistic.

You are correct though, I would pay $2.00 if they jacked it up that far, and I'd pass the cost on to you through higher prices.

I just happen to feel that it's an item that should be treated much like utilities, where they can't jack up the price without first obtaining approval. That's my opinion of the situation.

I couldn't agree more with you. At least I'm not what you would call Sheeple. I do something about it instead of just complain in these forums. I actually go and buy gas where it's cheaper unlike most.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

My action on this issue was to purchase vehicle that fit my needs & had excellent fuel efficiency.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Right Now: Vernon is at 106.9/Liter.

Winfield/Lake Country is at 114.9/L

Kelowna? A bend the :cuss: over at 119.9/L

Now why is that?

Falkland? 114.9/L
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Because every time our car needs fuel, we fuel it. every time we need smokes, we buy smokes. Whenever we need booze, we buy booze. We need it, we buy it. The price is irrelevant. The need supercedes the cost.

It doesn't matter why they seem to pick on us; they do and we are OK with it. You wanna quibbke over 3 or 4 bucks? Quibble.

It won't change a thing.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

phasyluck wrote:But of course, the price of electricity is already rising in advance. Wait till electric cars have a decent chunk of the market.

make your own electrons :130:

Return to “Central Okanagan”