Gas Prices.

Jonrox

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Post by Jonrox »

Nobody is getting screwed. You're all getting a pretty great deal.

You'd all pay significantly more than you currently are before you'd change your buying habits. Your buying behavior paints a much different picture than your words suggest. Your behavior suggests you're quite content with current pricing and are in fact getting a great deal as they could charge you more and you'd still pay it.

You're lying to yourself if you don't think pricing is still very reasonable, otherwise you wouldn't keep buying it like you do.

Now cue the responses "But we have no choice. I need gas for reason 'x'." And I'll say "Exactly. Or at least you think you need it. And that's why it's still a good deal."

If you're upset with pricing, just stop buying it. By continuing to buy, your behavior indicates you're completely ok with the prices.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I find gas price threads and topics in general rather funny.

People whine and complain about the price but drive around wide open,
hammering on it all day long.

Seeing people actually drive for fuel mileage is a rarity.

It also seems the vehicles built to wring the most out of a litre get driven even harder.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

How about instead of trying to organize a mass boycott, just stop driving and buying gas for a bit? You don't have to pay the 'gouge' prices, you stick it to gas stations, and best part you don't need everyone else to join in for it to be effective.

Neat, huh?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The best way to send a message is reduce your fuel needs (unless you actually need a big gas guzzler):

Purchase a smaller vehicle with good fuel economy i.e hybrid or EV (latter does have charging issues)

EV would be good around town & up/down the valley as well to Vancouver. Going north or east could have issues finding a supercharger, it's the fastest way to charge EV. Regular charging unit could take 9+ hours for fully charge.

Like any major purchase its all about doing your homework.

Personally I'm interested in the fuel cell vehicle myself i.e Hyundai, I will wait for many more hydrogen stations to come along.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dirtybiker wrote:I find gas price threads and topics in general rather funny.

People whine and complain about the price but drive around wide open,
hammering on it all day long.

Seeing people actually drive for fuel mileage is a rarity.

It also seems the vehicles built to wring the most out of a litre get driven even harder.

Just follow me, I'm the guy you likely tailgate because I leave early and drive the limit. I don't have to replace brake pads every other year either. I do also try and plan my stops so I'm not wondering around aimlessly and making a number of trips for not!

Not all of us are as you suggest.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Go apply at the cardlock....right now Premium is I do believe 1.05 a liter....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Symbonite wrote:Go apply at the cardlock....right now Premium is I do believe 1.05 a liter....

I tried that once thinking it would be handy for my RV'ing. Unless you have a business you can't even apply.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Symbonite wrote:Go apply at the cardlock....right now Premium is I do believe 1.05 a liter....

Which one?
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

I had cardlock in Sask, was handy for my schedule at the time. Maybe it's different in Kelownafornia though?
Sure do love Rutland!!
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

westbankkid wrote:
Hmmmm. And what gas station do you own????
keep me out it.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

slootman wrote:How about instead of trying to organize a mass boycott, just stop driving and buying gas for a bit? You don't have to pay the 'gouge' prices, you stick it to gas stations, and best part you don't need everyone else to join in for it to be effective.

Neat, huh?

Wouldn't it make more sense to just go to a gas station that offers fuel for a lower price? Kind of like every other product? You don't want to pay "X" amount of dollars for a carton of milk, the store across the street has it cheaper so you let your wallet send the message.

Oh, wait, never mind :laugh:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Tack

Post by Tack »

Ken7 wrote:
Just follow me, I'm the guy you likely tailgate because I leave early and drive the limit. I don't have to replace brake pads every other year either. I do also try and plan my stops so I'm not wondering around aimlessly and making a number of trips for not!

Not all of us are as you suggest.

Right on! I'm also the guy who will let my vehicle slow down without the brakes when I see a red light ahead, not blast forward to slam my brakes when I get there. Part of the fun is seeing how little I can use my brakes in the city, lots of times I can make it all the way down Gordon without actually stopping, just letting off the gas at the right time. Of course 4 people rip by and ahead of me just to come up at 80km/h to a red light and then pin their foot to the gas when it goes green. Waste of fuel and brake pads.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Dizzy1 wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to just go to a gas station that offers fuel for a lower price? Kind of like every other product? You don't want to pay "X" amount of dollars for a carton of milk, the store across the street has it cheaper so you let your wallet send the message.

Oh, wait, never mind :laugh:

There are stations in town that discount gas on certain days of the week. So yes that is an option.

I wonder how much milk price variance there would be if grocery stores advertised the price on giant streetside billboards..
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Jonrox wrote:Nobody is getting screwed. You're all getting a pretty great deal.

You'd all pay significantly more than you currently are before you'd change your buying habits. Your buying behavior paints a much different picture than your words suggest. Your behavior suggests you're quite content with current pricing and are in fact getting a great deal as they could charge you more and you'd still pay it.

You're lying to yourself if you don't think pricing is still very reasonable, otherwise you wouldn't keep buying it like you do.

Now cue the responses "But we have no choice. I need gas for reason 'x'." And I'll say "Exactly. Or at least you think you need it. And that's why it's still a good deal."

If you're upset with pricing, just stop buying it. By continuing to buy, your behavior indicates you're completely ok with the prices.

You're right! Why didn't I think to stop buying it! Duh! I'll just walk 5 hours to work everyday to earn my living. Maybe I'll dump my cheap rental (which is cheap because it's 30 min out of town) that's half what renting in the city is and get gouged that way.

Thankfully this is no longer my case as I've moved on a bought a place and don't have a massive gas bill, but some cannot afford it. I could barely afford it while saving for a down payment.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Fuel is going to cost whatever gas stations can get away with charging. We will continue to buy it. The lower the prices, the less they stand to profit from the sales. None of them can raise prices above their competition else they lose business because people notice and will shop elsewhere. Likewise, if they're making a few cents, per liter, profit above what they normally do, they can't leave the price where it is because their competition will just undercut them by 1 cent and people will shop elsewhere.

What we end up with is gas stations charging the lost price they can afford to stay in business for. This is why you see snack bars, white spots, etc in the same building as your fuel station. They need the revenue just to stay open, let alone turn a profit.

If selling gas was a quick way to riches, we wouldn't mostly just see minorities working long days for slightly higher than minimum wage. Hell, I'd own some gas stations if they were profitable.

Return to “Central Okanagan”