47395
47869

Gas Prices.

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Bsuds » Aug 14th, 2017, 12:16 pm

They make their profit in the store and the gas barely covers the bills.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40892
Likes: 7048 posts
Liked in: 8883 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Sparki55 » Aug 14th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Bsuds wrote:They make their profit in the store and the gas barely covers the bills.


https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/203402/another-kick-in-the-gas-tank
This guy makes between 12 to 14 cents a litre, this isn't barely covering the bills, it's making a nice profit.
If a station can have 15 customers an hour during normal daylight hours, thats 15 X 12 hours or 180 customers a day. On average say a customer buys 40L of fuel so they sell 180 X 40 = 7200L a day. Multiply by 14 cents thats $1000 a day. So $30,000 a month or $360,000 a year. Seems like some good coin to me. Sure there are operation costs on top of that but i'd say those costs are covered by all the stuff they sell in store.
Sparki55
Fledgling
 
Posts: 246
Likes: 300 posts
Liked in: 160 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby spooker » Aug 14th, 2017, 1:44 pm

After living and driving in Europe for 5 years at the beginning of this century I view our prices as cheap as hell (though still not as cheap as the southerners below the border) ...

Doesn't mean I go out there and drive drive drive ... if we can't afford it then we need to find another option ... if we have to afford it then that's just a problem to solve (i.e. price of produce going up due to transportation costs) ...

People make profit where they can ... that's the whole point of this "capitalism" thing we've got going on ... don't complain about the scorpion stinging the frog in the middle of the river since that's its nature ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
User avatar
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 719
Likes: 619 posts
Liked in: 469 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Sparki55 » Aug 14th, 2017, 3:05 pm

spooker wrote:People make profit where they can ... that's the whole point of this "capitalism" thing we've got going on ... don't complain about the scorpion stinging the frog in the middle of the river since that's its nature ...


There are rules with capitalism, one of them is price collusion is illegal.
Sparki55
Fledgling
 
Posts: 246
Likes: 300 posts
Liked in: 160 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Dizzy1 » Aug 14th, 2017, 9:01 pm

spooker wrote:After living and driving in Europe for 5 years at the beginning of this century I view our prices as cheap as hell (though still not as cheap as the southerners below the border) ...

Doesn't mean I go out there and drive drive drive ... if we can't afford it then we need to find another option ... if we have to afford it then that's just a problem to solve (i.e. price of produce going up due to transportation costs) ...

People make profit where they can ... that's the whole point of this "capitalism" thing we've got going on ... don't complain about the scorpion stinging the frog in the middle of the river since that's its nature ...

Big difference between Europe and here is in Europe they have a much more integrated public transportation system then we do, people there have much more reasonable and convenient options.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10111
Likes: 3963 posts
Liked in: 4430 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Dizzy1 » Aug 14th, 2017, 9:03 pm

slootman wrote:
I wonder how much milk price variance there would be if grocery stores advertised the price on giant streetside billboards..

Yes, its the billboards signs the reason why station x won't drop their price lower than the station across the street :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10111
Likes: 3963 posts
Liked in: 4430 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Always Sunny » Aug 14th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:
slootman wrote:
I wonder how much milk price variance there would be if grocery stores advertised the price on giant streetside billboards..

Yes, its the billboards signs the reason why station x won't drop their price lower than the station across the street :up:

I was filling up in Merritt a month or two ago and the attendant followed me out with a pair of binoculars in hand. She peered down the way and exclaimed "damned power lines!" as she tried to scope out the competitions prices. I mean, I guess it works, but there's also Gas Buddy.

I keep my costs down daily by driving a diesel. Better fuel economy and cheaper by the litre. I paid $1.099 at Canadian Tire before I went to the coast last week and was shocked by $1.369 for regular. The lowest I think I'd seen in the Langley/Surrey area was maybe $1.229, but diesel never hit $1.10.
User avatar
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2120
Likes: 976 posts
Liked in: 1060 posts
Joined: Oct 24th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby LANDM » Aug 15th, 2017, 4:08 am

Sparki55 wrote:
Bsuds wrote:They make their profit in the store and the gas barely covers the bills.


https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/203402/another-kick-in-the-gas-tank
This guy makes between 12 to 14 cents a litre, this isn't barely covering the bills, it's making a nice profit.
If a station can have 15 customers an hour during normal daylight hours, thats 15 X 12 hours or 180 customers a day. On average say a customer buys 40L of fuel so they sell 180 X 40 = 7200L a day. Multiply by 14 cents thats $1000 a day. So $30,000 a month or $360,000 a year. Seems like some good coin to me. Sure there are operation costs on top of that but i'd say those costs are covered by all the stuff they sell in store.

Never owned a business, have you?
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 5085
Likes: 1133 posts
Liked in: 2344 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Sparki55 » Aug 15th, 2017, 6:36 am

LANDM wrote:Never owned a business, have you?


The owner admits they are doing well in the article I provided a link to. Did you read the article? It states gas stations in Kelowna enjoy a healthy margin. To me that translates to; if gas stations in other areas are viable businesses as they still exist with a 3 to 4 cent margin, or in some areas break even on gas, then the stations making 4x higher on margins must be doing very well.
Sparki55
Fledgling
 
Posts: 246
Likes: 300 posts
Liked in: 160 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Dizzy1 » Aug 15th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Anyone who thinks that a gas station makes their profit off a bag of chips and not their core business (fuel) is delusional.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10111
Likes: 3963 posts
Liked in: 4430 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby GordonH » Aug 15th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:Anyone who thinks that a gas station makes their profit off a bag of chips and not their core business (fuel) is delusional.


The amount each station manager/owner gets can be figured out:
One just needs to know what Rack price add the taxes on fuel in Kelowna (which is .3117 + GST) minus that amount from the pump price.
That's what the station manager/owner gets, usually the station pays for transportation of fuel from Kamloops to station. Out of the amount also comes all the employee wages, utilities & lease etc... etc

So unless that station can sell very large daily litre totals..... one is not going to become millionaire any time soon.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18074
Likes: 1772 posts
Liked in: 5580 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Dizzy1 » Aug 15th, 2017, 2:04 pm

GordonH wrote:
Dizzy1 wrote:Anyone who thinks that a gas station makes their profit off a bag of chips and not their core business (fuel) is delusional.


The amount each station manager/owner gets can be figured out:
One just needs to know what Rack price add the taxes on fuel in Kelowna (which is .3117 + GST) minus that amount from the pump price.
That's what the station manager/owner gets, usually the station pays for transportation of fuel from Kamloops to station. Out of the amount also comes all the employee wages, utilities & lease etc... etc

So unless that station can sell very large daily litre totals..... one is not going to become millionaire any time soon.

Profit is based on a percent of the consumers fuel cost. Price goes up - profit goes up. How many times have we seen where the pump price goes up but the price to the dealer doesn't?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10111
Likes: 3963 posts
Liked in: 4430 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby GordonH » Aug 15th, 2017, 2:17 pm

^^^ I just gave everyone the way figure out how much of each litre sold goes to station manager/owner.
In many of the other threads about fuel prices, I provided links to get the Rack price from Kamloops terminal.
just do the math
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18074
Likes: 1772 posts
Liked in: 5580 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Jonrox » Aug 15th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Sparki55 wrote:You're right! Why didn't I think to stop buying it! Duh! I'll just walk 5 hours to work everyday to earn my living. Maybe I'll dump my cheap rental (which is cheap because it's 30 min out of town) that's half what renting in the city is and get gouged that way.

Thankfully this is no longer my case as I've moved on a bought a place and don't have a massive gas bill, but some cannot afford it. I could barely afford it while saving for a down payment.

Exactly my point... you won't stop buying and you'd likely pay a lot more. Therefore the current prices are a good deal. People love to whine about gas prices but their buying behaviour suggests they're actually quite content and happy with prices.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3077
Likes: 275 posts
Liked in: 1544 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010, 1:09 pm

Re: Getting gouged by the GAS BARONS again

Postby Sparki55 » Aug 15th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Jonrox wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:You're right! Why didn't I think to stop buying it! Duh! I'll just walk 5 hours to work everyday to earn my living. Maybe I'll dump my cheap rental (which is cheap because it's 30 min out of town) that's half what renting in the city is and get gouged that way.

Thankfully this is no longer my case as I've moved on a bought a place and don't have a massive gas bill, but some cannot afford it. I could barely afford it while saving for a down payment.

Exactly my point... you won't stop buying and you'd likely pay a lot more. Therefore the current prices are a good deal. People love to whine about gas prices but their buying behaviour suggests they're actually quite content and happy with prices.


I bought gas because I had to; it was either pay a high rental bill or a high gas bill. People fortunate enough to have an above average wage can eventually get out and buy something close to work and have a mortgage lower than a rental.

I could not have paid a lot more, as you suggest. If the price went up substantially, close to 40 cents a litre I would have been forced into selling everything and living in a van or campsite close to work.
Sparki55
Fledgling
 
Posts: 246
Likes: 300 posts
Liked in: 160 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests