Where to put transgender shelter guests?

foodsmith
Board Meister

Re: Where to put transgender shelter guests?

Post by foodsmith »

krocky wrote: I couldn't agree more..!! I have said from the start that they "both" deserve protection and have a right to feel safe. Yes there were 26 women and 20 beds, I get that but did the shelter ask around to see if anyone might not be bothered by this. I'm pretty sure some of the others at the shelter would have been just fine with sharing their room had they been asked but I "believe" they couldn't be bothered and it was easier to just tell the woman that she was "wrong" to feel that way and is why she felt she had to take it further. Speculation, of course, but I just can't believe if they canvased all 26 women that they ALL said no.

You STILL aren't grasping the idea of confidentiality.

The staff at this facility absolutely cannot go around and canvass the rest of the house to see if anyone is sufficiently/insufficiently bothered enough by another housemate's life situation for any reason -- especially to ask if someone is willing to be a roommate.

It's actually laughable now... My 9 year-old Son can understand when to switch between straight-forward he/she and non-gender specific pronouns, and then there's this. :135:
Last edited by ferri on Mar 16th, 2017, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

foodsmith wrote: You STILL aren't grasping the idea of confidentiality.

You are really starting to sound like a broken record with this "confidentiality" stuff, is that the only excuse you can come up with. I have already said I understand it but think they are using it to cover their tracks. So, please stop telling me otherwise, you don't have to agree with me, that's fine. I understand you want to "blame" the victim here and defend the shelter, that IS your prerogative as it is mine to believe as I do..
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

My 9 year-old Son can understand when to switch between straight-forward he/she and non-gender specific pronouns
I'm not sure why you would bring this up when what's being discussed is a lot more complex. Understanding gender is one thing, understanding why an abused woman feels the way they do in this situation is a whole different scenario.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Ya if u have a penis . U r not a woman .

Look up hermaphrodite or intersex (the preferred term now) and find out how 100% wrong you and everyone else who states this are.

OK, I stand corrected, if you have a penis you may be a male, a male identifying as a female, a pre-op transgender or a hermaphrodite but you are still NOT a women, is that better..???
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

krocky wrote: ...if you have a penis you may be a male, a male identifying as a female, a pre-op transgender or a hermaphrodite but you are still NOT a women...

I'm not sure why you would bring this up when what's being discussed is a lot more complex. Understanding gender is one thing, understanding why an abused woman feels the way they do in this situation is a whole different scenario.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

foodsmith wrote:
krocky wrote: ...if you have a penis you may be a male, a male identifying as a female, a pre-op transgender or a hermaphrodite but you are still NOT a women...

Are you READING the posts..?? I didn't bring it up ifwisheswerehorses did, I simply responded. ??????????
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*stay on topic please.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Fancy wrote: I'm not sure why you would bring this up when what's being discussed is a lot more complex. Understanding gender is one thing, understanding why an abused woman feels the way they do in this situation is a whole different scenario.

This was my quote.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Fancy wrote:
Fancy wrote: I'm not sure why you would bring this up when what's being discussed is a lot more complex. Understanding gender is one thing, understanding why an abused woman feels the way they do in this situation is a whole different scenario.

This was my quote.

Looks like foodsmith re-typed it word for word, not sure what the point of that was but I was responding to that.
Anyhoooo.... :topic:
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

No one gets kicked out of shelters or government facilities for being reasonable or polite
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

The more I think about this the more my other post rings true.
We've all seen the signs at hospital, clinics, ANY government facility--

"Foul language, threats of violence, verbal or otherwise will not be tolerated"
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

What_the wrote:The more I think about this the more my other post rings true.
We've all seen the signs at hospital, clinics, ANY government facility--

"Foul language, threats of violence, verbal or otherwise will not be tolerated"

Now you're just making stuff up.. You have no better an idea of what actually happened than anyone else who WASN'T there.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Im making things up? C'mon, you're trying to tell me those signs don't exist? And you're arguing that 2 women were asked to leave for NO reason?

I offered my assessment with my first post and stand by it. This is occums razor IMO.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

What_the wrote:Im making things up? C'mon, you're trying to tell me those signs don't exist? And you're arguing that 2 women were asked to leave for NO reason?

They weren't kicked out for NO reason. They were suspended for 24 hrs for sharing their concerns with other residents and then kicked out for talking to the media. Your "assumption" that they must have been wreaking havoc is totally unfounded.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

krocky wrote:
What_the wrote:Im making things up? C'mon, you're trying to tell me those signs don't exist? And you're arguing that 2 women were asked to leave for NO reason?

They weren't kicked out for NO reason. They were suspended for 24 hrs for sharing their concerns with other residents and then kicked out for talking to the media. Your "assumption" that they must have been wreaking havoc is totally unfounded.

Actually it's an experienced estimation, not an assumption.
Particularly since I never once said wreaking havoc. Work with people long enough and patterns tend to emerge with reasonable accuracy.

Having a very hard time biting what this thread is offering about this woman

Want a safe place to stay? Don't start making things volatile for others, follow house rules and If one is that uncomfortable with the situation there's other options.

Return to “Central Okanagan”