I Never Understand Why---

damama55
Übergod

I Never Understand Why---

Post by damama55 »

I never understand why contracts, for artwork for our area, are not given to local artists.
Shrinking $ nixes artwork
First, it had been given to a Seattle artist, and now-
"Vancouver artists Ron Hart and Michael Fugeta have been hired, and fabrication of the artwork is underway."
I mean, there are some great artists around our area, and, if Kelowna wants to spend over $100,000 for some art work, why not keep the money in our area?? Wouldn't local people have more of a sense of our area than an outsider??
I really think the money could be better spent around Kelowna, maybe more traffic control officers, road improvements, better signage, better signal lights at some turn offs, etc. Once the aforementioned improvements have been made, then think about more artworks for the area.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: I Never Understand Why---

Post by JLives »

I agree. Local art should be by local artists.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I don't understand how they think spending over a 100k on art is acceptable this is not good use of our tax dollars
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

LTD wrote:I don't understand how they think spending over a 100k on art is acceptable this is not good use of our tax dollars

I agree fully with this statement . I thought they were starving artists . 100k public art project . Glad this got canned
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Most cities have a set percentage of infrastructure project budget that have to go towards public art, and this is put out to tender.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Gilchy wrote:Most cities have a set percentage of infrastructure project budget that have to go towards public art, and this is put out to tender.

oh well that makes it ok then lol burning through a 150k of tax payers money for more than likely a piece of crap is not money well spent
sure glad my taxes went up this year :-X
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

No, it has NOT been canned.

"A shrinking loonie, and the complexity of the project has forced the City of Kelowna to cancel an art project with a Seattle artist.

The project was for seven art panels for the newly remodeled Library parkade on Ellis.

It was split into two phases and, the resulting delay coincided with a fall in the Canadian dollar, which pushed the project over its allotted budget.

The artist was paid for time and materials, and the city moved on to the runner-up in the project competition.

Vancouver artists Ron Hart and Michael Fugeta have been hired, and fabrication of the artwork is underway.

Installation is expected in May.

The city has also run into a delay in an art piece for the new RCMP detachment building on Clement Avenue. A piece of art, celebrating the tradition of the RCMP as a Canadian institution and to commemorate its role in providing order and security to Canadian communities, is to be installed in the entry plaza to the new building.

However, none of the proposals submitted sufficiently met the evaluation criteria. A new request for qualifications will be issued.

Budget for the project is $150,000, with $30,000 of that coming from the city's public art program. The remainder will come from the building's construction budget."

I guess the project for the new RCMP building is going to cost $150,000+ Take that money and have more officers doing traffic control. I am sure the officers would really appreciate that, too.
Can't find how much the Vancouver artists are being paid.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

LTD wrote:I don't understand how they think spending over a 100k on art is acceptable this is not good use of our tax dollars

I don't have a problem with the price. A lot goes into art. The money should be spent at home though.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Take note of the councilman that objects to this, too.

Foreign art disturbs councillor - Kelowna News - Castanet.net
www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/109211/Fo ... councillor
Feb 18, 2014 - A decision to award a prestigious art project to an American artist has gotten under the skin of one Kelowna City Councillor. ... Mohini Singh took exception when council was informed Monday that Seattle, WA artist Susan ...
"A decision to award a prestigious art project to an American artist has gotten under the skin of one Kelowna City Councillor.

Mohini Singh took exception when council was informed Monday that Seattle, WA artist Susan Zocolla has been commissioned to produce the public art component for the soon-to-be expanded Library Parkade.

"This really bothers me and I have spoken to council before about it. Earlier I used to be a big proponent of keeping the artists Okanagan - fine, I shouldn't be so narrow minded, so then it was British Columbian, alright then Western Canadian, alright forget that, how about just a Canadian artist then?" asked Singh."

"According to McCormick, 26 artists responded to the city's open competition for the Library Parkade project.
Zocolla, who will produce seven screens for the parkade, will be paid $60,000."

Of course, that is not going to take place now, although she was paid for time and material.
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Post by exFarmerS »

I like seeing public art here and when I travel. It's a drop in the bucket compared to other city/municipal costs.

I would also suspect that most artists wouldn't agree with keeping it local. There aren't that many artists that have the capacity, talent and capability of taking on large public pieces. To limit them to their own cities/countries wouldn't make much sense.

Kelowna has a nice representation of local and out of area art. I'm sorry the Seattle artist couldn't complete. She has done some pretty nice stuff from what I've seen. All of the installations go out as public competitions so locals have as much chance as anyone.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

What if local artists are not talented and produce pretentious crap?
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

damama55 wrote:No, it has NOT been canned.

"A shrinking loonie, and the complexity of the project has forced the City of Kelowna to cancel an art project with a Seattle artist.

The project was for seven art panels for the newly remodeled Library parkade on Ellis.

It was split into two phases and, the resulting delay coincided with a fall in the Canadian dollar, which pushed the project over its allotted budget.

(The artist was paid for time and materials, and the city moved on to the runner-up in the project competition.)

Vancouver artists Ron Hart and Michael Fugeta have been hired, and fabrication of the artwork is underway.

Installation is expected in May.

The city has also run into a delay in an art piece for the new RCMP detachment building on Clement Avenue. A piece of art, celebrating the tradition of the RCMP as a Canadian institution and to commemorate its role in providing order and security to Canadian communities, is to be installed in the entry plaza to the new building.

However, none of the proposals submitted sufficiently met the evaluation criteria. A new request for qualifications will be issued.

Budget for the project is $150,000, with $30,000 of that coming from the city's public art program. The remainder will come from the building's construction budget."

I guess the project for the new RCMP building is going to cost $150,000+ Take that money and have more officers doing traffic control. I am sure the officers would really appreciate that, too.
Can't find how much the Vancouver artists are being paid.

The part that gets me I have put in brackets in your original quote. Now they have paid an artist for his time and materials upon cancellation, and have gone ahead and hired Canadian (local) artist. What a waste of money! Why didn't they just contract Canadian artists to begin with?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

I think the prolem lies in the "selections process". Its shocking to see what the establishment deems as "art". More like kitsch.

These days, anyone could take a *bleep* in a mason jar, call it art and get their grant.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

If all they want is "Undulating Visual art", I am SURE any artist in the area could do that, and, appreciate the $60,000 they would be paid, to spend around the Valley. Like the commercial about the painter painting a snow storm, worth 1 Million, doesn't make it right. Give me some paint brushes, some paint and some canvasses and I will get people to help paint some beautiful local art work, done by the people for the people. Hey, that is a great idea. What do all of you Castaneters think???

Return to “Central Okanagan”