I Never Understand Why---

FreeRights
Guru

Re: I Never Understand Why---

Post by FreeRights »

monroe wrote:I think the prolem lies in the "selections process". Its shocking to see what the establishment deems as "art". More like kitsch.

These days, anyone could take a *bleep* in a mason jar, call it art and get their grant.

Art is also subjective in that what you think of as art may be different than what I think of as art. In case one doesn't apply to our tastes doesn't mean that it's bad, poor quality, or not art.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Agreed. Far be it from me to judge someone's artistic opinion. I dont have a creative bone in my body.

But when it comes to tax payer grants, the vetting process could be more stringent and the arts council should have better oversight.

Probably another topic but its known in many corners of the "art world" that it comes down who you know, that gets you the grant.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

FreeRights wrote:Art is also subjective in that what you think of as art may be different than what I think of as art. In case one doesn't apply to our tastes doesn't mean that it's bad, poor quality, or not art.

Most of the time. I think we can all agree the metal seaweed we see when coming into the city was not the best choice.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

From what I understand the local arts community is totally screwed up and shows heavy favoritism/bias. There have been various threads about the issues and certain people on the forums before.

Go to a place like Nelson and you will find much more local art because there are more local artists. I do not think the Okanagan offers the lifestyle artists want in general, aside from the inhospitable and social-class-barriers that exist within the local community art scene. Not saying that artists don't exist here but I do not view Kelowna as a arts-hub in any shape or form.

This is Hollywood North, not Big Sur. As such I don't think there is a large enough pool to draw from, as well as the people making the choices may have certain tastes that are not fulfilled locally.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I never understand why contracts, for artwork for our area, are not given to local artists.

Because it would all go to Gert Maas ??...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

We have plenty of local top grade artists, carvers, sculptural artists right here in Kelowna!
We all know that ridiculous amounts of $ is handed out to none resident artists.
Red flag and many reasons why that happens.
Yet, there is not much we can do to redirect this monopoly game.
Those in charge will only be replaced with more money hungry players.
We(Kelowna) are artists!!! Hear us roar!...might help? :biggrin:
Just say it as it is!
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

This is just some of the kind of stuff grants go towards funding -

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2448616647

This gem is from the uk but there was a similar thing done with an installation out east, i just cant find the link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1398798/The-Tate-values-excrement-more-highly-than-gold.html

The Banff Center regularly invites and host artists from around the world to attend for periods of time. They require that many of these dedicated artists partially pay their own way during their stay.

Fees for some of the artists and their work who attend are covered by federal grants.

I had a friend who was invited twice who paid his own way and ended up finding out that most of the fed grants being given were to artists who had ties to local (calgary based) individuals/groups.

http://eskerfoundation.com/

The art world is a close door community where in calgary, for example, there are a ton of oil wealthly donors who dump alot of money into (their own pet projects/haven's) foundations/private galleries who expect the govt to reciprocate.

What this leads to is some fat cat oil exec who has a fetish with an isolated type of performace art (for example) who gets their grant app rubber stamped only to have some no-name foreign artist shipped in to some place like the banff center, who uses the grant money to do things like hack up pianos, (literally) crap on a canvas and paint with it or what have you...
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

If you guys feel so strongly about this why don't you just lobby Mohini Singh to submit an amendment to the OCP Section 9.1 "Arts, Culture & Heritage" to stipulate that local artists be given priority funding over out of town artists. If you write a generic letter I’d certainly put my name on it.
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Post by exFarmerS »

khutchi wrote:If you guys feel so strongly about this why don't you just lobby Mohini Singh to submit an amendment to the OCP Section 9.1 "Arts, Culture & Heritage" to stipulate that local artists be given priority funding over out of town artists. If you write a generic letter I’d certainly put my name on it.

That would violate several trade agreements.
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Post by exFarmerS »

artistwithaflare wrote:We have plenty of local top grade artists, carvers, sculptural artists right here in Kelowna!
We all know that ridiculous amounts of $ is handed out to none resident artists.
Red flag and many reasons why that happens.
Yet, there is not much we can do to redirect this monopoly game.
Those in charge will only be replaced with more money hungry players.
We(Kelowna) are artists!!! Hear us roar!...might help? :biggrin:

So why aren't they putting in proposals and winning them? The public art committee is regular citizens. You can volunteer to be on it yourself.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I honestly don't know how to go about doing that, but, yes, I would definitely be on board with signing it, too. Give all local talents to showcase what they can do and support their efforts. Great idea. :)
exFarmerS-"That would violate several trade agreements." Are you saying that with tongue in cheek or serious?
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

damama55 wrote:I honestly don't know how to go about doing that, but, yes, I would definitely be on board with signing it, too. Give all local talents to showcase what they can do and support their efforts. Great idea. :)
exFarmerS-"That would violate several trade agreements." Are you saying that with tongue in cheek or serious?

haha I too was a little taken back by exFarmerS. I'm pretty sure he was just joking.
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Post by exFarmerS »

damama55 wrote:...Are you saying that with tongue in cheek or serious?

Quite serious. You can't spend public money without complying with all trade agreements. No local preference for purchases over $75,000. Most government agencies tend to follow the same rules for any public process regardless of dollar amount.

As I said before, most artists would NOT want local preference. Geert Maas is a local public artist and has installations all over the world. He wouldn't survive if he could only bid on Kelowna competitions.

The public art committee members generally serve for 3 years. Contact the City to find out when they might next be looking for members.
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

exFarmerS wrote:...AAs I said before, most artists would NOT want local preference. Geert Maas is a local public artist and has installations all over the world. He wouldn't survive if he could only bid on Kelowna competitions.

Reading a bit more into the issue, I actually agree with you that local preference might do more harm than good. It's a little protectionist and may be undesirable for local artists who do business in other markets (which is probably all of them). However, it strikes me as interesting that there are no guidelines that say something like "If you have two equally good bids, one from the US and one from Kelowna, that we will take the local bid preferably".
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

damama55 wrote:If all they want is "Undulating Visual art", I am SURE any artist in the area could do that, and, appreciate the $60,000 they would be paid, to spend around the Valley. Like the commercial about the painter painting a snow storm, worth 1 Million, doesn't make it right. Give me some paint brushes, some paint and some canvasses and I will get people to help paint some beautiful local art work, done by the people for the people. Hey, that is a great idea. What do all of you Castaneters think???

already being done
https://www.paintnite.com/search?lat=49 ... &view=grid

Return to “Central Okanagan”