Would you feed your kids this?

Triple 6

Would you feed your kids this?

Post by Triple 6 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#191626

A West Kelowna family is disgusted over what Chief Tomat Elementary School is serving their daughter for lunch.

Randy Millis says his nine-year-old daughter came home upset about the food she was receiving and said she was being served a lot of fries, deep fried, breaded food and very little to no fruits or vegetables.

“She in many cases was getting no veggie servings or was getting a baby carrot or two and a slice of cucumber,” he said.

After contacting the school and being told the March menu has been set, Millis took the matter into his own hands.

“Finally, I just asked her to take my old iPhone and take pictures of her lunch, and the photos we got back after a week's worth were quite surprising,” he said.

Clara took pictures of the meals she received every day for a week, excluding pizza day, which falls on a Wednesday.

Chief Tomat’s website says “the CTE Meals Program offers nutritious lunches prepared on site at a reasonable cost.”

Principal Gurprit Hayher said the menu is vetted by healthy food co-ordinators for the district, and they "have a professional chef who prepares everything, and so it is up to par."

Millis said one morning Clara didn’t want to go to school because of the food.

“I know they have quite a challenge with their budget of feeding 50 kids, but to me it really doesn’t seem to be at par or appetizing,” said Millis. “It looked gross, actually.”

Both Millis and his partner are Type 2 diabetics, so nutrition is important to them.

“Clara has a 70 per cent chance of getting diabetes, and I think these lunches that are breaded and fried have a lot of carbs and very little vegetables, are a risk factor,” said Millis.

Clara has been invited to “come down and pick up extra fruit, or that kind of thing, if they feel that she needs that in her diet,” said Hayher.

Hayher said how quickly the program fills up tells him it is popular and that it is meeting peoples needs.

“The menu will go home on a Monday, and parents are running in Monday after school to get signed up. By Tuesday morning, it is fully subscribed," said Hayher. "It is meeting a need in our community, and people like it.”

The meal program for March cost $37.50, $3.75 for 10 days, according to a flyer given out to parents.

“In our case, we are subsidized, so we don’t have to pay for it, but the fee-paying kids get the same lunch,” said Millis.

Hayher said they could bring their own food if they want.

The healthy food co-ordinators that vet the Chief Tomat menu also work throughout the school district, as confirmed by Hayher.

“I would like to know what can be done to address this,” said Millis. “I am concerned what this might be like for other schools in SD23.”
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Triple 6

Re: Would you feed your kids this?

Post by Triple 6 »

Totally being a judgey judgerton. Why not make your kids their lunch and it wouldn't be an issue.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I read through the article and though "What an *bleep*"

#1 This is an optional program. If they don't like it, they can make their own lunches.

#2 They are subsidized...even worse. Don't complain about FREE.

#3 From the pictures I saw, it is not that bad. I saw salad and some vegatables. I did not see fish and chips, cheetos, pop tarts.
This is institutional food. Lots of meals prepared at the same time. I think they are doing ok with it.

If this guy and his wife don't like it, they should provide their own special meals for their special child.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
spooker

Post by spooker »

While I loved eating the school food as a kid I don't think I knew what good food was and my parents who both worked just didn't have the time or feel the need to make me a lunch or get me to make my own ...

Now I take my own lunch each day to work and my daughter takes her lunch too ... but the pictures on that story do look pretty undesirable and since we know more now about nutrition and how it affects learning we should be doing better with in-school programs ...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Principal Gurprit Hayher said the menu is vetted by healthy food co-ordinators for the district, and they "have a professional chef who prepares everything, and so it is up to par."
My question would be - up to par with what? My kids didn't go to school and eat that junk every day and it would be interesting to know the nutritious value of those lunches - break it down to fat, sugar and calories etc. If one was so concerned about what their child is eating because of the diabetes factor, why weren't the lunches vetted ahead of time? I agree - pack your own lunches (why wouldn't you?) and let the child have a treat day maybe once a month.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

gardengirl wrote:I read through the article and though "What an *bleep*"

#1 This is an optional program. If they don't like it, they can make their own lunches.

#2 They are subsidized...even worse. Don't complain about FREE.

#3 From the pictures I saw, it is not that bad. I saw salad and some vegatables. I did not see fish and chips, cheetos, pop tarts.
This is institutional food. Lots of meals prepared at the same time. I think they are doing ok with it.

If this guy and his wife don't like it, they should provide their own special meals for their special child.

Wife? The article said partner, but yeah, make your own food for the kid.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

He is subsidized but has an old iPhone lying around, which means he has a newer one. Must be nice, I am using a six year old blackberry and don't get any subsidizes for anything. Guess I am doing something wrong believing that I pay my own way.

“Finally, I just asked her to take my old iPhone and take pictures of her lunch, and the photos we got back after a week's worth were quite surprising,” he said.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Caesar salad isn't what I would call that nutritious nor is a couple of pieces of lettuce - where are all the mixed vegetables? Lot of high fatty foods in those pictures. Gad - get rid of the white buns and fried foods.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If the school really want to look out for children. In BC there is a difference between Dietitian and a Nutritionist, better off with dietitian.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

I see little wrong with the lunches. They could use more veggies and fruit, but if this guy wants his kid eating better, then he can supplement these lunches with something he sends. Want more than a slice of cucumber? Go buy one, cut it up and sent it to school.

I'd be thrilled if my office supplied me with these lunches. lol
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I have seen and paid for what turned out to be worse than what I saw on her plate.

Not to overstate the obvious but seriously, make your kids lunch if you want to control what they eat.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

And somebody at Castanet needs to ask Alana Kelly to smile.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Well, I guess there's no surprise why kids are getting fatter these days.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:If the school really want to look out for children. In BC there is a difference between Dietitian and a Nutritionist, better off with dietitian.

Foot note:
Only time I ever got food at school was because of an event happening that day i.e sports day (my parents had to give me fee required)
All the food I ate came from my Mom's kitchen. So parents if you don't like what being provided opt out and make it yourself for your child.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

if you load their plates up with vegetables most will end up in the trash and I'm not really sure when it became the schools responsibility to feed the children that's what parents are for

Return to “Central Okanagan”