North Glenmore Sportsfield to be removed for farmland

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

North Glenmore Sportsfield to be removed for farmland

Post by Grandan »

I read in an alternate news outlet that the N Glenmore Sportsfield is to be abandoned so that it can be converted to farmland.
Thousands of dollars in underground irrigation, backstops and other paraphenalia will be torn out. To grow what?
Hay apparently, so that the rich people with horses to feed will have a ready supply. This is what poses for farming in this city. Good job City Hall.
All this is slated to be done in 2017.
All the good land sits under developed subdivisions throughout the city so apparently the class 2 land has to step up to the plate.
The game is rigged.
Waste not
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: North Glenmore Sportsfield to be removed for farmland

Post by TylerM4 »

Weird. Sportsfields don't just get converted to farmland. What's the rest of the story here?
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

Well considering N Glenmore is getting other sports fields I can see why they would do that.
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

All the good farmland is already used for growing hay
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

To take the land on Cross and Valley out of the ALR to build the new sportsfields there, they needed to put land back into the ALR...hence why the old ones are going back into it
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Well, as long as the Mission and Upper Mission areas of Kelowna get EVERYTHING........who are the rest of us to complain? I would be happier if my tax's actually "shut up" some of the chronic whiners from that side of town.........hasn't happened yet!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

What is it we get in the mission . Other than taxes and traffic
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Jflem1983 wrote:What is it we get in the mission . Other than taxes and traffic

Have you heard of the CNC? If not, I'm sure you can find it. There some sports fields there along with a pool and indoor ice and grass fields.

You asked.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

It's like a few pertinent details were omitted from the OP:

The conversion of baseball diamonds to farmland was agreed to by the city as part of negotiations for the development of the new Glenmore Recreation Park, a 11.3-hectare site at the corner of Valley Road and Longhill Road.

That property was within the Agricultural Land Reserve, and the provincial commission that oversees the reserve granted its exclusion in 2011 for development only on several conditions.

One of them was that the city turn the existing Glenmore ball diamonds into agricultural land by the end of 2017. Other stipulations included a landscaped buffer around the new recreation park to help protect existing farms, and a fence around the entire property.

In its decision to allow the exclusion, the Agricultural Land Commission said it was “encouraged by the city’s strong commitment to agriculture and the ALR, and its proactive and creative response to mitigation.”

Prior to the site’s exclusion from the land reserve, the city had long wanted to improve recreation facilities in Glenmore. The city has a goal of providing 2.2 hectares of park for every 1,000 residents, but Glenmore’s ratio was less than one-quarter of that.

Initial $2.6-million development plans for the new recreation park, presented at an open house last week, include two multi-use sports fields, site servicing, a parking lot, landscaping and fencing. It’s the single largest park-related undertaking this year.
Last edited by ferri on Mar 16th, 2017, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Cnc came about because the Thompson family donated land. Without free land it wouldn't have been built

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

lesliepaul wrote:Well, as long as the Mission and Upper Mission areas of Kelowna get EVERYTHING........who are the rest of us to complain? I would be happier if my tax's actually "shut up" some of the chronic whiners from that side of town.........hasn't happened yet!

Hahahahahahha !!! [icon_lol2.gif]

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... 9e5da7.jpg
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

lesliepaul wrote:Well, as long as the Mission and Upper Mission areas of Kelowna get EVERYTHING........who are the rest of us to complain? I would be happier if my tax's actually "shut up" some of the chronic whiners from that side of town.........hasn't happened yet!

You should hold a referendum and separate
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Gilchy wrote:It's like a few pertinent details were omitted from the OP:

The conversion of baseball diamonds to farmland was agreed to by the city as part of negotiations for the development of the new Glenmore Recreation Park, a 11.3-hectare site at the corner of Valley Road and Longhill Road.

That property was within the Agricultural Land Reserve, and the provincial commission that oversees the reserve granted its exclusion in 2011 for development only on several conditions.

One of them was that the city turn the existing Glenmore ball diamonds into agricultural land by the end of 2017. Other stipulations included a landscaped buffer around the new recreation park to help protect existing farms, and a fence around the entire property.

In its decision to allow the exclusion, the Agricultural Land Commission said it was “encouraged by the city’s strong commitment to agriculture and the ALR, and its proactive and creative response to mitigation.”

Prior to the site’s exclusion from the land reserve, the city had long wanted to improve recreation facilities in Glenmore. The city has a goal of providing 2.2 hectares of park for every 1,000 residents, but Glenmore’s ratio was less than one-quarter of that.

Initial $2.6-million development plans for the new recreation park, presented at an open house last week, include two multi-use sports fields, site servicing, a parking lot, landscaping and fencing. It’s the single largest park-related undertaking this year.

This is what passes for creative and proactive. North Glenmore has exploded with building construction and traffic. The N Glenmore Sportsfield is well used by locals and city wide customers. Glenmore has fewer parks than the rest of the city but we cannot have one more park without giving up what we already have?
What is not stated in the article is that the Glenmore ValleyCommunity Association attempted to have the existing Park and Fire Hall used a a nucleus for future expansion. Road access is better, does not require any new roads to be built. A ready made building in the form of a fire hall just waiting to be converted to a community centre when the new fire hall is built.
The proposed location on Valley Road at Longhill is in a hole with a massive amount of ground water . I can see future playing fields with long standing water problems. By comparison, N Glenmore Sportsfield is well drained.
Apparently city planners figure that driving to the CNC centre in the Mission is all we deserve.
Waste not
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

The 1st post is complaining about turning an existing field into farmland.
Now when it comes to light that is was a requirement as part of a ALR land-trade deal, your complaint is about the new location?

I suspect there's a reason why they decided to change the location instead of building on the existing location. Have you asked them why?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Jflem1983 wrote:Cnc came about because the Thompson family donated land. Without free land it wouldn't have been built

Some of the land between CNC was donated by another party.
And it should be mentioned, even though land is given, it is often a trade in the way of zoning or restrictions being waived or modified.. Each party benefits. People that scratch the cities back, get theirs scratched in return.............I am NOT saying this was the case with the Thompsons.
Now they want to remove more wetland north of CNC to build a soccer clubhouse.

Maybe its time for the middle aged bicycle riders to apply for their maybe free clubhouse.
I heard there is room for a few years on Cedar Beach, and we could pay Double what TK Kelowna pays...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”