Churches not stepping up

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Churches not stepping up

Post by Fancy »

Men recovering from addictions may soon have a place to call home.

Operators of Freedom's Door, a recovery home for men with drug and alcohol problems, is launching a campaign to build the 51-unit apartment complex at McCurdy and Rutland roads in Rutland.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#192214
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Fancy wrote:
Men recovering from addictions may soon have a place to call home.

Operators of Freedom's Door, a recovery home for men with drug and alcohol problems, is launching a campaign to build the 51-unit apartment complex at McCurdy and Rutland roads in Rutland.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#192214

And the churches are not stepping up .....

My @$$...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:If you go to church on any given Sunday in many churches, the pews can be pretty sparse and what parishioners there are are often elderly and on a fixed income. Many churches can't even afford a dedicated minister and are struggling to keep the lights and heat on. In many cases the buildings were built back when many families went to church weekly, so it can be deceiving to look at the buildings and real estate and make assumptions about viability,

That being said, there are many churches that do help the homeless, it just perhaps isn't in the "direct" way that you would prefer it. Many churches are part of cooperatives that run shelters and soup kitchens, and food banks, and addiction services, clothing services etc. Therefore it's easy to assume that because they aren't knocking on tent doors that they aren't involved.

I admire anyone (church member or otherwise) who cares enough to give a damn. It is truly inspiring that people of faith or otherwise do works of kindness and charity. Good for you that you are one of the special few, I honour you!

Definitly different kinds of churches out there. Churches building large additions onto thier buildings, parking overflow so much they need traffic directors and have to borrow neighboring lots! If you are from Osoyoos your experiences could be varied from Kelowna though.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Also, in the news this past winter, this was in Vernon, a homeless elderly woman had been discovered living under the stairs of a church building. She had to be helped by a concerned bystander. It appears the church somehow didn't know about this woman or maybe didn't want to or could not help. Right under the stairs!
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Jesus is not really stepping up for the one billion poor earth people.

But for the rich countries like Canada, I would say God is answering our prayers.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Jesus is not really stepping up for the one billion poor earth people.

The people are though and that is quite evident through all the work various organizations do.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

I don't believe in charity anymore.

A social contract exists between the Government and it's citizens.

"Follow the laws and we will look after you".

Why do you obey the law and follow the rules? Because you dont want to be killed? Do you live in a tyrannical dictatorship and view our government as a murderous killer prodding you with the end of a rifle? I hope not!

The government has FAILED society. We have rampant poverty and social issues. Where Government has failed - private charity sweeps up the mess. More tax breaks for rich people - who cares if the budget will be short this month? - the churches will feed the poor!

The sooner we stop giving to charities and force the issue, the quicker the problems will be addressed instead of sweeping them under the rug and hiding them. If we had people literally starving in the street the Government would have to do something - but they dont - because charities keep on cleaning up their mess.

Stop giving to charities and force the issue. I realize this isn't a popular opinion but if you keep on cleaning up your child's bedroom every time you tell them to clean it up they will never learn or address the issue.

The Government thanks you for cleaning up their mess. Now they can give a tax break to a millionaires and bring in more TFW's because you suckers donated 20 tonnes of canned goods to the foodbank so the working poor can eat!

No need to raise wages after all!
Last edited by Atomoa on Mar 26th, 2017, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I fully disagree . Government is always the problem rarely the solution . I don't want ottawa or London or Washington to make decisions for me
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Jflem1983 wrote:I fully disagree . Government is always the problem rarely the solution . I don't want ottawa or London or Washington to make decisions for me

Then hand in your health card, unlearn you high school education and move into the woods.

No more using our roads, airports, courts, ports, communication networks and police/fire services.
Last edited by Atomoa on Mar 26th, 2017, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

agree 100%..................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

And I've angered the statists . Can't please em all . Ya I'd be fine in the woods . Sometimes I wish it was just that easy . Unfortunately I got bills and a chity life in the city . Ahh maybe the homeless guy in the tent was on to something after all
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Time to start taxing all religious organizations
Attachments
tax-the-pastors.jpg
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I believe this was the letter under discussion:
I was under the impression that churches were supposed to help those less fortunate, so when some of the said unfortunate are living in tents on the churches property, why doesn't the church try to help them?

Maybe they are cold or hungry. Maybe they need to know someone cares. Maybe they need help getting back into a productive life.
Taxing is one thing but insinuating churches aren't helping is another.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

The amount of "prosperity churches" pales in comparison to the neighbourhood churches who struggle. And even those "mega-churches" still do great works of charity (but don't get me wrong - I still find them obscene in the extreme.

But please, for every "Pastor's" mansion you can find a photo of, I could find you a hundred 1000 square foot bungalows where another church leader's family lives in.

You can't provide the most extreme examples to make your point, it's really disingenuous and unfair. Of course there is corruption, but there is many more little old ladies behind the scenes of an average church doing things like knitting warm mittens and socks for the poor, and organizing food drives, and conducting BINGO games to supply someone in need with a medical device.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There are ministers in my family - all live in more modest homes than I live in.

Return to “Social Concerns”