Lakeshore Property with illegal fences & walls on beach

pentona
Übergod

Re: Lakeshore Property with illegal fences & walls on beach

Post by pentona »

maryjane48 wrote:Off topic. i can hardly wait to go walk along the public shore :130: .

good to see govt regs fall onto side of the public . . about time we got our public land back :130:

Great news story here today. Basically means "Re-build it on your OWN property only (not on crown land), legally or not at all". Lets hope the public regains the use of what is rightfully ours.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#202867

I love this part:

At the same time, the government reminds people that all structures must be constructed on their own property. That means above the natural boundary or normal high-water mark.

They must not build on Crown land fronting their property below the natural boundary.

For years, people in the Okanagan have complained some structures along the foreshore have impeded their legal right to access the lakefront.

Unauthorized structures (e.g., fences, retaining walls) and fill located below the natural boundary will not be allowed to be rebuilt.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

So the setting up of a local front counter bc office is actually a trap. "hey look how convenient we are, what would you like a permit for today?..." Then when the unsuspecting property owner describes the scope of work... BOOOOM!
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

tsayta wrote:So the setting up of a local front counter bc office is actually a trap. "hey look how convenient we are, what would you like a permit for today?..." Then when the unsuspecting property owner describes the scope of work... BOOOOM!

Anyone who built within the guidelines and has proper permission/permits would not hesitate to apply. Only the Illegal structures are the problem. This is the time to fix what was done wrong in the first place and return the land to the public!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

pentona wrote:
tsayta wrote:So the setting up of a local front counter bc office is actually a trap. "hey look how convenient we are, what would you like a permit for today?..." Then when the unsuspecting property owner describes the scope of work... BOOOOM!

Anyone who built within the guidelines and has proper permission/permits would not hesitate to apply. Only the Illegal structures are the problem. This is the time to fix what was done wrong in the first place and return the land to the public!

Good point. Only the legal ones will show up and apply. The rest will not show up
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

This is taken from the Government rules on docks.

Requirements for All Docks

It is important to remember that all private moorage facilities must not obstruct either public access along the foreshore. Moorage facilities must comply with Canadian Coast Guard regulations and building regulations.

Any use of structures for non-moorage purposes, fill below the present natural boundary, dredging on the foreshore, and any solid core structures or cribs are prohibited. Only one dock per property is permitted. Proof of Insurance will also be required by the upland owner either through a Homeowner's Insurance policy or some equivalent instrument.

For more information see below, or contact FrontCounter BC to verify which form of Crown land authorization is appropriate and if any other approvals are required.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

anyone trying to defend impeading public land should have their place bought and be booted out . its simple follow the law or move . :130:
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

Not much has changed in a year. Basically, the City and the Province have done nothing to ensure that all citizens and residents have access to the lake foreshore.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/234368/Walking-to-claim-the-beach

Walkers will follow the shoreline, but will have to make several bypasses back to the street because of private infrastructure or landscaping that blocks the beach.
The "foreshore" is the area of the beach between the low and high water marks. It and the lake are considered public property.
Organizers hope to get the province or municipality to install signs along the high water mark to denote the boundary between public and private property so people walking beaches don't accidentally trespass onto private land.

It is important to note that licensed private docks and pumphouses are not allowed to restrict public access to the foreshore, which is Crown land. Upland property owners adjacent to the foreshore have a right and an obligation to delineate their property lines with fencing, hedges, or similar boundary markers to ensure those using the foreshore do not trespass. However, they do not have the right to block foreshore access.

I support the walk on Sunday. I hope it brings awareness to the problems brought about by a few disrespectful people. I do hope that the participants are respectful of private property above the foreshore. I hope that they do not litter. Most of all I hope they remember they are walking on Crown land, land owned by all of us. If you trip and fall or skin your knee it is your responsibility. Also, if you start a fire and it causes damage, it is your fault and responsibility.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

As we have seen with sand being shifted along the lakeshore, removed and deposited in different locations by currents in the lake, Eldorado boat launch and Cold Sands beach in City Park are prime examples, what was the high water mark on a particular property last year, or a few years ago, may not be in the same place this year, next year, five years ago or ten years from now. Who's idiotic idea was it to make a property boundary on an ever changing totally imaginary line? Why isn't the property line a set distance from the fronting street? It would never change and nor would the division between private and public property. As it stands now what is private and what is public property can change from year to year.
What was a very legal fence, dock or wall a couple of years ago may now be deemed illegal and visa versa.

Return to “Central Okanagan”