Lakeshore Property with illegal fences & walls on beach

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Lakeshore Property with illegal fences & walls on beach

Post by fall »

I have been saying for years that there needs to be access all the way along the lakeshore. I think one day it will happen, sorry semi lakefront property owners.
If Anyone were to injure themselves getting around or over those illegal docks and other obstructions I bet that would make for a pretty good lawsuit.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think this topic comes up every year.
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/opini ... ad0b4.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

It was on CHBC news the other night, likely what generated the interest to start this topic, this time.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

There's a facebook group for this also. I'm glad to see someone acting on it. The city is aware of city-owned beach accesses that have been blocked by private homeowners or business. I've spoken to someone myself. It will be interesting to see if anything is done to rectify the situation. If enough people act on it and raise the issue to the public and various levels of government, maybe changes will happen instead of this topic coming up every year, people grumbling a bit and then the issue goes away until the next year (much like snow removal).
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This has been going on for years and years.

"There are parcels of land in the Okanagan whereby the owners still retain the water rights out into the water."

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... -foreshore
BoBillyBob

Post by BoBillyBob »

Fancy wrote:This has been going on for years and years.

"There are parcels of land in the Okanagan whereby the owners still retain the water rights out into the water."

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... -foreshore

Yes it has, and nothing is ever done about it. That is why Global news did the story this time. It gets brushed under the rug year after year and has done so for the last 20 plus years. It is time the city, council, mayor stepped in and put pressure on the provincial govt to do something about it. it is time that it didn't keep being swept under the rug, because over the last few years, the walls being erected blocking the beach have become larger and more obtrusive.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

We usually enjoy the lake through one of the public beaches off Lakeshore Rd. There are number of large houses next to it, and I haven't seen one with fencing all the way to the water. There's usually a way around all the fences.

Westbank First Nation apparently can legally ban you from their lakeshore.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Black Daisies - no no no - no need for a fundraiser ! Just call it a golf tournament - the provincial government kicks in for those!

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#192611

Wait till 2nd story loads.
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

Tootsie wrote:Black Daisies - no no no - no need for a fundraiser ! Just call it a golf tournament - the provincial government kicks in for those!

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#192611

Wait till 2nd story loads.

At least we'll know where we can find Basran those days...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

https://pihl.ca/real-estate-law/sitting-dock-bay-not/
There very well could be homeowners that have complied with provincial guidelines.

https://www.regionaldistrict.com/media/ ... an2007.pdf
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

GordonH wrote:
Terris wrote:It's under Federal authority...

All 3 levels of Government appear to some level of authority, city of course with least amount of authority. "X" length from high water line towards shore is between authority of Province &/or Fed's. Since the water flows south across international boundary.

I've owned lakefront property; the taxation was always federal.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/key_enviro_topi ... gable.html
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

I thought there was a permitting process for docks? Does anyone know the details?

If the owners were given a permit/permission to build a dock, and it's been inspected and signed off on by officials - can we really call them "illegal"?

edit: Ah, I see Fancy beat me to it with some info. So yes, there is a permitting process although it sounds like inspections are lacking. I would expect that at least 1/2 of the docks along the lakeshore have the proper permits and cannot be called "illegal".
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Kalvin K wrote:I thought there was a permitting process for docks? Does anyone know the details?

I believe that is all covered in the links in the post prior to yours.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Bsuds wrote:
I believe that is all covered in the links in the post prior to yours.

Yes, just noticed that. Thanks.
BoBillyBob

Post by BoBillyBob »

Kalvin K wrote:I thought there was a permitting process for docks? Does anyone know the details?

If the owners were given a permit/permission to build a dock, and it's been inspected and signed off on by officials - can we really call them "illegal"?

edit: Ah, I see Fancy beat me to it with some info. So yes, there is a permitting process although it sounds like inspections are lacking. I would expect that at least 1/2 of the docks along the lakeshore have the proper permits and cannot be called "illegal".

I'm guessing most of the docks are legal. What is not legal is when some of the owners have built fences around the docks that block people from being able to walk over the docks across the beach, which is not permitted. It is the obtrusive walls being built blocking access to the beach along the water line. Try to walk from Rotary Beach to City Park. Some of the walls built along there the last few years to block access are more than illegal. Fancy seems very defensive over all of this. And yes, many lake shore owners comply. But many have not.

Return to “Central Okanagan”