Okanagan Second Crossing Project

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Okanagan Second Crossing Project

Post by dirtybiker »

If they start digging today they should have it complete by the time it is out-dated
and inadequate.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
BoBillyBob

Post by BoBillyBob »

In my opinion, i do not think having a second bridge running in to Kelowna is going to do anything to solve the problem. Why on earth they wouldn't bypass Kelowna altogether with this new bridge, is beyond me. Then all the tourists with their large RVs, etc who are not stopping in Kelowna could take another bridge that bypassed Kelowna altogether. Those from the west side travelling to Vernon for work or through to Calgary or other cities in the interior, could bypass Kelowna. Have the new bridge run from the westside to somewhere over near McKinley Landing or Okanagan Centre and out on to Hwy 97. This current plan is just going to add to the problem at hand and resolves absolutely nothing in my eyes.
Last edited by BoBillyBob on Mar 30th, 2017, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

Something like 80% of the people in this thread did not even bother to read the plan before posting. It is scary how people form opinions these days.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

True - one needs to open the links and read through the information. There's a lot to think about in the link you posted.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Fancy wrote:True - one needs to open the links and read through the information. There's a lot to think about in the link you posted.

Good link in OP. I had skipped the first 3 pages, but it's worth going back for that. I hope this means:
1) that they're serious about fixing the corridor, and
2) that they're serious about not repeating the same mistakes elsewhere in the province because this comes at a very high price tag that could have been 1/4th of the cost if designed right in the beginning.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Run the highway through Leon and hopefully the throng of degenerates will catch a ride out of the place just saying.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Jflem1983 wrote:
GordonH wrote:...Added Later: 28 traffic lights in span of 30Km, from Kelowna airport to Connector turn off.

28 lights . That is why it takes at least as long to drive thru Kelowna. As calgary . That ought to be a local point of shame

Jflem1983 is bang on here. I read the plan, lots of it talks about doing interchanges. Totally makes sense. Question is, why do the planners keep adding more stupid lights on other corridors? Why not do it right the first time. I remember just a few years ago they added another light on Benvouilin...basically for no reason. The 'occasional' car that shows up there is just frequent enough to slow the whole system down
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

If the plan is to have the proposed new bridge crossing and highway run along the base of Knox Mnt. along Broadway Ave and Trench Place in the city's Northend. Please do not hire the engineering firm that said it was ok to build a duplex into the side of the hill on Trench Place. The hill is unstabled and at this time is once again showing signs of sliding. Putting a major highway along there will be asking nothing but trouble and at the same time eliminate and destroy one of our City's finest walking, hiking and cycling recreational area.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was contemplating that very thing Straightshooter, the stability of Knox Mt. itself. So add the vibrations from hundreds of vehicles all day every day and some good rain storms and ???
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

I highly recommend taking time to read through the link in the original post. Will put many if not all concerns so far mentioned to the test.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Four years ago, just before the 2013 provincial election, Christy Clark began making her 'promises' to her riding of West Kelowna. One of those promises was a second Kelowna bridge. There has been dead silence from the government about this project for four years, and now, suddenly, just a few weeks before this election, the bridge 'carrot' rears its ugly head again. When will the voters in the Okanagan ever learn? The BC Liberals have been making and breaking promises for 16 years.

The only thing British Columbians can be sure of with this government is there will be scandals.......lots of them. There's one being delayed until after May 9 right now, the illegal donations scandal. It puts me in mind of the scandal that came out shortly before the 2013 election, the Ethnic Outreach scandal. It took until 2016 for that one to wind its way through the courts, and I'm not convinced justice was ever really done.

Then there was the Health Researcheers scandal, and that one is still being 'investigated' three years later. What strikes me as odd is the fact that these government-appointed 'investigators' are being touted as 'independent', but are they?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Glacier wrote:Maybe they should have built a larger bridge in the first place. Hey Chrispy, the bridge is not the bottleneck, it's the flippin' lights that have traffic backed up before hitting the bridge.

The last time I was on the bridge, I was the first one on because I was at the light first when it turned red. Not a single car ahead of me on the bridge. Maybe they could spread out traffic by getting rid of lights.

I agree and would add that having an on-ramp at the base of Bridge Hill might have been a nice to have for locals but is a disaster for traffic flow.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

StraitTalk wrote:I highly recommend taking time to read through the link in the original post. Will put many if not all concerns so far mentioned to the test.

Doesn't matter. It's a bad, ill conceived, mind numbingly absurd concept no matter what is proposed.

The whole traffic cutting the city in with a highway problem began when WAC Bennett started his land baron empire building back in the 50's with no thought of the future other than creating access to the wealth building mechanisms designed for his family and his cronies (the old boys network).

The new Christy Clark liberals (nee Socred Party) are very much plugged into the same paradigm of destroy what is getting in the way of the next generation of empire builders who still dominate and control development in this valley.

LANDM ?

:popcorn:
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

Do we need a new bridge?

Or do we just need people to understand that it's ok to drive in the right hand lane.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Straight Shooter wrote:If the plan is to have the proposed new bridge crossing and highway run along the base of Knox Mnt. along Broadway Ave and Trench Place in the city's Northend. Please do not hire the engineering firm that said it was ok to build a duplex into the side of the hill on Trench Place. The hill is unstabled and at this time is once again showing signs of sliding. Putting a major highway along there will be asking nothing but trouble and at the same time eliminate and destroy one of our City's finest walking, hiking and cycling recreational area.

Where is it showing signs of sliding ?
I suspect that watering lawns. May have played into those houses being on land that moved.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”