Manhole Project - Money Down the Drain?

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Manhole Project - Money Down the Drain?

Post by WalterWhite »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... ole-covers

$15,000.00

That's a very important aspect of Kelowna's infrastructure seriously in need of an image makeover - said no one ever.

The City of Kelowna is looking to add a little bit of colour to its drab infrastructure.

Through its public art program, the city is proposing to brighten up manhole covers and crosswalks.

City staffer Robert Parlane explained to council Monday they are proposing a design competition for stormwater and sewer covers.

Robert Parlane's official title isn't mentioned in the article, only that he's a city staffer. I'm guessing he could be the head of the Useless Spending of Public Monies department. I'm sure the ballooning homeless population will sincerely appreciate the sprucing up of their living rooms.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Manhole Project - Money Down the Drain?

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Makes more sense than some of the "art" around town.. Be very noticeable on Bernard during the streetfests.
And if you ride bike the covers are more visible..
And to Councillor Given, re the sidewalk painting.... They can always be repainted or painted over later.m
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

How well are the manhole covers locked down?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Not locked down at all, just heavy
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Fancy wrote:How well are the manhole covers locked down?

Are you suggesting people from out of town would steal our covers .

A pub in Edmonton I use to drink in . Young guy walked out the pub through a field . Fell down an open manhole 100 ft or something . Was hanging upside down by his limbs when he was found in the morning . That guy blows up balloons at our farmers market now . He is in a wheel chair . I forget his name . I remember that we'll though .

To fancy comment I think maybe they should lock em
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

There must be some extra money in the coffers to waste. No one will notice beautiful manhole covers, everyone is staring at their phones.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Idiocy. Money to burn.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ what happens when that lock get clogged with gravel or rusted by water & street salt.
That's one of the reason they are so damn heavy, along with transport trucks not being able pop them off.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Makes more sense than some of the "art" around town.. Be very noticeable on Bernard during the streetfests.
And if you ride bike the covers are more visible..
And to Councillor Given, re the sidewalk painting.... They can always be repainted or painted over later.m

It reminds me of the artists that went around painting fire hydrants to look like little men....
Waste not
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

WalterWhite wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/193499/Beautifying-manhole-covers

$15,000.00

That's a very important aspect of Kelowna's infrastructure seriously in need of an image makeover - said no one ever.

The City of Kelowna is looking to add a little bit of colour to its drab infrastructure.

Through its public art program, the city is proposing to brighten up manhole covers and crosswalks.

City staffer Robert Parlane explained to council Monday they are proposing a design competition for stormwater and sewer covers.

Robert Parlane's official title isn't mentioned in the article, only that he's a city staffer. I'm guessing he could be the head of the Useless Spending of Public Monies department. I'm sure the ballooning homeless population will sincerely appreciate the sprucing up of their living rooms.

Probably the same clown, that thought buying a frayed stainless steel railroad track, for 80K, to plant on stilts by the foot of the bridge, was a good idea.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

GordonH wrote:^^^ what happens when that lock get clogged with gravel or rusted by water & street salt.
That's one of the reason they are so damn heavy, along with transport trucks not being able pop them off.

The only locked manholes are at Lift stations the rest are like you said heavy. I have lifted thousands of manholes when I worked for the City.They do get rusted in and a sledge hammer helps. Under the lid you can find Black Widows, Hornets or snakes and I have found all of them. Go ahead and steal one, hurts your back and you may get bit.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Only because Kelowna doesn't support the businesses that could make them and employ workers locally ....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

MAPearce wrote:

Only because Kelowna doesn't support the businesses that could make them and employ workers locally ....

Huh? My comment was sarcasm. It has nothing to do with whether they're made here or in China or who does or doesn't support local business.
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

Well... this is a pretty small amount of money. Most of the money is being used in the production of them and we will need new manhole covers in the future anyways . Also, all the money goes into our community and is double taxed (income/spent) anyways. And if you think about how long the life of a manhole cover is and how much of a tourism city this, it will pay for itself in aesthetic value very quickly.

But, the public art fund has run a surplus carryover for over 6 years. It has so much money in it. I wrote an article one time saying their should be a reallocation of money out of it into a different account but apparently that is illegal. Besides the world needs art. So here's what we get ... manhole covers. :130:
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

WalterWhite wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/193499/Beautifying-manhole-covers

'm sure the ballooning homeless population will sincerely appreciate the sprucing up of their living rooms.

That was pretty funny though.... [icon_lol2.gif]
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."

Return to “Central Okanagan”