Another Drive-thru

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Another Drive-thru

Post by Symbonite »

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... ary-victim

Bad to say but finally someone got hurt....now I hope something can be done with elderly drivers that are mistaking the gas and break of their car. time for yearly testing.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Kelownabusinessman
Fledgling

Re: Another Drive-thru

Post by Kelownabusinessman »

With the way people drive in the Okanagan I think it would be safe to say everyone needs yearly testing. Where in the story did it indicate that the driver accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake? I understand that in situations like these the gas and brake confusion is usually the cause but lets not jump to conclusions.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Yep didn't confuse the brake and gas pedals, just got confused as to which foot was the left and which the right. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
dmctighe

Post by dmctighe »

I just reported my 90 year old mother-in-law to ICBC after she totalled her car in a single vehicle parking lot accident, she purchased another car and continues to drive.....nothing has been done....she is an accident waiting to happen again
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Having recently gone through hell trying to convince my father to stop driving, I would have welcomed a formal process of retesting to remove the burden of proof from the family and GP.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Kelownabusinessman wrote:With the way people drive in the Okanagan I think it would be safe to say everyone needs yearly testing. Where in the story did it indicate that the driver accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake? I understand that in situations like these the gas and brake confusion is usually the cause but lets not jump to conclusions.

Now this is just a WAguess on my part, but I would bet a lot of money it was not from pressing the brake pedal too hard...
Yeah I know someone that was cleaning the windshield with the wipers and hit the back of a bus this winter..

I also heard that in one of the tests. For either Alzheimers or Driving, they ask you to draw a clock at 11:00....(only one of the questions ).... And people are failing at it..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Kelownabusinessman wrote:I understand that in situations like these the gas and brake confusion is usually the cause but lets not jump to conclusions.

Pardon the pun, right?

9/10 cases is gas/brake location problems...so odds are in favour.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

I honestly don't know what is wrong with ICBC & Motor Vehicle Dept. They don't seem to give a damn when someone reports another driver who should NOT be behind the wheel. As a result of a friend having an epileptic black out while driving our vehicle it was totalled. When talking to ICBC about the reason for the accident, they informed me they don't notify Motor Vehicle even if it is due to a medical condition. Motor Vehicle Dept, then told me they don't share information with ICBC. Crock of *bleep*...they sure share info when fines are involved or any $$ is owing to either dept. What pisses me off the most is the fact the exfriend still gets behind the wheel on a daily basis and drives his truck. Guess he will have to black out and kill someone before he realizes he should not be driving, then it will be boohoo, feel sorry for poor me.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

NOTYOU wrote:I honestly don't know what is wrong with ICBC & Motor Vehicle Dept. They don't seem to give a damn when someone reports another driver who should NOT be behind the wheel. As a result of a friend having an epileptic black out while driving our vehicle it was totalled. When talking to ICBC about the reason for the accident, they informed me they don't notify Motor Vehicle even if it is due to a medical condition. Motor Vehicle Dept, then told me they don't share information with ICBC. Crock of *bleep*...they sure share info when fines are involved or any $$ is owing to either dept. What pisses me off the most is the fact the exfriend still gets behind the wheel on a daily basis and drives his truck. Guess he will have to black out and kill someone before he realizes he should not be driving, then it will be boohoo, feel sorry for poor me.

It helps if a trained professional....like an eye doctor or family physician is the one to contact ICBC with accurate information regarding the driver in question.
If having a problem with an elderly family members driving abilities, make a doctors appt for them and let the doctor be the bad guy. They will not report based on your say so, nor should they. But tests will be undergone and your family member will no longer have legal access to driving.
However, if you think that they'll just hang up the keys.....think again.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

The driver of the SUV was a 71 year old woman. That is what the story states. I wonder what her excuse is?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Poindexter wrote:Having recently gone through hell trying to convince my father to stop driving, I would have welcomed a formal process of retesting to remove the burden of proof from the family and GP.

You and so many others. You can't believe the heartache out there is so many homes. The vehicle keys are often our first and last taste of freedom.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Before we get too carried away here, bashing old drivers, bear in mind that young drivers are considerably more dangerous and cause many more accidents than old folks.

http://accident-law.freeadvice.com/acci ... idents.htm
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Obviously she had an overdue book! :biggrin:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The moment that person is admitted to hospital with epilepsy after having a seizure, if they have a D/L. Department of Superintendent of Motor Vehicles suspend the person D/L for 1 year, at end of which has to be medical cleared to drive. Then every year after that for 5 years, if missed the D/L is suspended until medical cleared.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

The thing is for the most part young driver crashes are do to their crappy attitude, that's it they know better.

Return to “Central Okanagan”