1948 downtown Kelowna picture (with zoom)

Iamsomeone
Fledgling

1948 downtown Kelowna picture (with zoom)

Post by Iamsomeone »

This is a fantastic picture of downtown Kelowna. The picture shows a lot of detail of what it was like in 1948. You can use your mouse to zoom in and get a clearer shot.

http://vintageairphotos.com/bo-48-3567/

So I was looking for my house but can't figure out exactly where the picture was taken from and what roads are shown. I know Memorial Arena was built in 1945 but I don't see it in the pic. So that's throwing me off.

Here's what I'm thinking so far and pardon the rough drawing :)

1 - Water Street ?
2 - Thought it might be St. Paul but then where is Ellis?
3 -
4 - Thought it might be Doyle but can't find the arena
5 -

Hopefully someone will find their house or see a landmark they recognize. I'm really curious about where this is.

InkedBO-48-3567_600-300x292_LI (2).jpg
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: 1948 downtown Kelowna picture (with zoom)

Post by GordonH »

What you need is 1 fixed point as reference
So zoom into the upper left of the picture you see building with the stack that intersection is Ethel & Clement, then just work out from there.

How can to that is building on the corner look very much like that used item place recently
Last edited by GordonH on Apr 8th, 2017, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

This might help naming the streets, using the railway dock as reference

caststr.JPG

http://www.okanagan.net/ocarc/hamrail.htm
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Iamsomeone wrote:Here's what I'm thinking so far and pardon the rough drawing :)

1 - Water Street ? That is Water St
2 - Thought it might be St. Paul but then where is Ellis? This is Ellis
3 - This is St Paul
4 - Thought it might be Doyle but can't find the arena This is Cawston
5 - This is Doyle Ave... Memorial arena is half cutoff
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Great photo resource. The arena is on the far right side of the photo - just to the right of where you marked #2.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I worked in the triangular cold storage building, laurel Co-op. The laurel Museum is to the left of it, the rail linre went between the buildings..
The car and parts to right of the boat dock in lower right. That is where all th car parts got dug up when they started the excavating for the present Yacht Club.. I got pics but they are trapped in my wont start up Playbook.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

GenesisGT wrote:This might help naming the streets, using the railway dock as reference

The attachment caststr.JPG is no longer available

http://www.okanagan.net/ocarc/hamrail.htm

That's an interesting site you linked to Genesis. Thank you.

Well now that Gordon and Walter have pointed out Memorial Arena on the picture, I feel a bit foolish for not seeing it earlier. Don't know how I missed it but thanks for pointing it out.

Here's another photo for you. I may look foolish again but I'm not finding Memorial Arena in this shot either. The pic was taken in 1946. I think the 3 roads I marked are (from left to right) Bernard Ave, Doyle Ave and Smith Ave. But where is the arena?

link to zoomable photo: http://vintageairphotos.com/bo-46-374/

InkedBO-46-374_600-300x227_LI.jpg
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Iamsomeone wrote:That's an interesting site you linked to Genesis. Thank you.

Well now that Gordon and Walter have pointed out Memorial Arena on the picture, I feel a bit foolish for not seeing it earlier. Don't know how I missed it but thanks for pointing it out.

Here's another photo for you. I may look foolish again but I'm not finding Memorial Arena in this shot either. The pic was taken in 1946. I think the 3 roads I marked are (from left to right) Bernard Ave, Doyle Ave and Smith Ave. But where is the arena?

In this picture Sawmill appears to shutdown/winding down operations (large empty looking area left & little down rail docks), bottom right corner is were Memorial Arena will be built.

Added: so that sawmill is what is called Simpson Covenant future home of City Hall etc... etc
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

That is a great link and photo, OP.

A ( ...probably dumb :138: ... ) question? Why would Kelowna still have such a prominent dock for barging rail cars? Wasn't the city a prominent hub in the Kettle Valley Railway? It seems a time consuming exercise, barging rail cars down to Penticton or up to Vernon, when rail lines were in place.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

GordonH wrote:
Iamsomeone wrote:That's an interesting site you linked to Genesis. Thank you.

In this picture Sawmill appears to shutdown/winding down operations (large empty looking area left & little down rail docks), bottom right corner is were Memorial Arena will be built.

Added: so that sawmill is what is called Simpson Covenant future home of City Hall etc... etc

the memorial arena is already built in that pic
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

The KVR ran from Beaverdell thru to Penticton up on the south slopes , then continued thru Summerland toward the coast.
We got rail service by 1925from the North, and connected to the KVR from here using Lake barges. The bridge went up twice a day for the barge.. Bridge shut down fir around ten minutes.
Not sure when arena was completed but could not have been before summer of 46.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I dont see arena in above pic, see a large building where the library is, arena would be to left of that.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

is that not it on the right two thirds up only half in the picture ?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

You can clearly see Doyle betwwen the two right hand blue marks in the posted pic
The dark rectangle, arena would be in lower right of black rectangle. Seeing as Doyle continues straight to Water, i think the current road is on the right hand edge of black rectangle..... Does that make sense ?
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

The city's website says the arena was built in 1945 so maybe the date of the picture is wrong.

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I dont see arena in above pic, see a large building where the library is, arena would be to left of that.

I think that large building is actually where the parkade sits now (at the end of Smith Ave). To the right of that large building would now be the health unit building and beside that the Laurel Packinghouse?

I still think it's Smith Ave. we see, not Doyle (at least comparing this picture).

caststr.JPG

You can see Queensway (blue) and the bend in the road where it turns into Mill Street. I wonder if Doyle (yellow) didn't go all the way through to Water St. back then and was pushed through when the mill shut down and they built the arena. Smith Ave (green) was cut off from a through street when they built the parkade beside the library. Ellis St. is red.

If the green road was Doyle, I think there would be too much land between Doyle and Queensway for just City Hall and the parking lot beside it.

latest.jpg

Return to “Central Okanagan”