Is our city Council out of Touch with the Times ?

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Is our city Council out of Touch with the Times ?

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

These days pot has been legalized in Colorado, Washington state..and more . Our own Prime Minister is talking legalization.
Yet our city council, almost unanimously nixes allowing it to be sold in COK.
All except one councillor.. Do our councillors actually research and explore current events; or are they simply guided by some special interest groups for some non apparent reason.
Let me make this clear, I am not an advocate of pot,
However. it is starting to look like we are in some strange backwater place, were people are not aware of current events..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Is our city Council out of Touch with the Times ?

Post by JayByrd »

I admit I may not fully understand this, but...

The legality of marijuana is a federal issue. Council cannot make it legal in Kelowna. All that's happened is that Council has reiterated that since marijuana is illegal, retail pot shops are illegal as well.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

So until JT gets his pot legislation through pot shops will be illegal in Kelowna?

After that what's gonna happen?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
spooker

Post by spooker »

Just like so many issues, if it's illegal somewhere that means we can't have a meaningful conversation about it ...

Vancouver figured out a way to be responsible ... other cities were watching as they issued a "medical marijuana" business license ...

I visited the storefront here and had a good conversation with the owner ... I wasn't looking to buy anything but I wanted to know how they handled customers and what kind of requirements were in place ... make something respectable and the cockroaches will stay away ... but shove it under the rug and the bad elements will continue selling to our kids ...
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Yes its a complex issue..
It took them till now to notice its not legal ? How long will it take to reverse it if it becomes legal...
Not exactly having their fingers on the pulse of the situation.
What happened to the days of having a 3-5 vote on an issue.....hmmmm.
KevinJP
Fledgling

Post by KevinJP »

It's just like they are out of touch with insisting building that white elephant known as the Tourist information centre on Queensway.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

I've purchased from 2 of the dispensaries in Kelowna and West Kelowna on a medicinal license, as well as the provincial medicinal cannabis supplier on the island called Tilray. All are clean, well organized and professional - as one would expect from a retail outlet of any sort. However, as the two local dispensaries are essentially not legal, do not carry business licenses from what I understand, they therefore do not and can not charge tax. Sales are cash only. I get where @60 is coming from, but the city has rules, and if this were any other business one would expect them to follow the rules just like everybody else. JT and crew have imho fueled the confusion on the issue by not moving quickly enough in putting the required legislation in place. The city is simply covering it's butt, and I can't say as I blame them. They're examining guidelines and prerequisites as far as zoning goes for example, as I'm sure no one would be happy seeing an outlet pop up beside an elementary school. Are they out of touch? On many issues I would say yes - on this I think they're simply caught in the confusion created by other municipalities, the province, and the feds. Look to the US and the states that have legalized the sale and possession for personal use - it's a license to print money from a tax generating standpoint - what government doesn't want a slice of that? Would certainly like to see them get their ducks in a row locally, provincially and federally sooner rather than later.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Yes its a complex issue..
It took them till now to notice its not legal ? How long will it take to reverse it if it becomes legal...
Not exactly having their fingers on the pulse of the situation.
What happened to the days of having a 3-5 vote on an issue.....hmmmm.

Right now there's really nothing to vote on. They have to create the parameters required to not only ensure an equal playing field for other licensing applicants, but more importantly how and where these retail outlets will be permitted. No different than a pub/beer and wine store/liquor primary application - except there's nothing on the books outlining the specifics inherent to cannabis dispensaries. A complicated issue indeed - lol, how could it not be with all 3 levels of government involved. :)
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

it seems they have been open at least 2/3 of a year, did not seem to worry them then...strange..
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

The Feds are just waiting until Auroras new digs are done being built in Leduc county. Then the taxes will all be figured out haha.
Sure do love Rutland!!
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

http://www.buymyweedonline.ca who needs a store when you can get it sent directly to your house

Return to “Central Okanagan”