Freedom's Door 50 bed facility at Rutland & McCurdy Rd

pepecat
Board Meister

Re: Freedom's Door 50 bed facility at Rutland & McCurdy Rd

Post by pepecat »

Bman wrote:Take a drive by and look at all the signs that the immediate neighbors erected on their fences in opposition of this and you'll get a hint of what the local community thinks of it.
The people who have to live with it need to be considered, regardless of the reasons why they don't want to live beside it.

That location is not the right spot for it.

Opposition is standard practice in every community that is changing. Putting up signs is redneck behaviour. That is kind of scary and makes me glad that I don't live in Rutland anymore.

So where exactly is the right location? Please don't say Kettle Valley or the industrial part of Sexmith because those options are ridiculous. Downtown Kelowna is dealing with it and constantly opening new facilities, so please don't say downtown either.

Rutland needs a place for these people. So where?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

What's so ridiculous about those spots?
Why does it have to be Rutland?
Why does Rutland need a place like that?
The same place can be in lake country and effect the same results. Why? What's wrong with kettle valley? Is that where you live?

I don't think those signs are "redneck", if i interpret your description correctly. Have you read what they say?
I think they express the passion of the local community and the desperation of the neighbors.
Those signs aren't posted by someone living 3 blocks away.
They are the immediate neighbors.
Imo they have more say in this than you or I do.

They deserve to be recognized. One of them have lived next door for about 30 years.
THEY DO NOT WANT IT NEXT DOOR TO THEM.
Don't believe me? Ask the ones who live next to it.
I did.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I believe the property was donated and the np corp now owns the property.
I understand that over 2/3 of the 9 million dollars required to build this has already been raised, and I believe it's all donation. This facility will be eligible for a number of large grants on an ongoing basis.
I wonder if anyone has noticed that the directors of this place stand to receive incredibly large salaries as directors, and what's not in salary will be disguised as other renumeration, as is so common with nps.
It's a np. There will never be a dime in excess.
Any excess will be internally absorbed.
It stands to be a very lucrative venture for those who run the np.
This is already a done deal, regardless of the public hearing.
The public hearing is just a formality.
The neighborhood matters not at all to these people.
As usual, its about the money.

And, of course, its registration as a religious affiliate exempts it from property tax.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

pepecat wrote:
Opposition is standard practice in every community that is changing.

I disagree. The area I live in has changed considerably since I moved to it, and I never once opposed it, nor did the neighborhood, in fact we embraced it and considered the changes an asset to the area.
Ditto for the last area I lived in, and I lived in both for many years.
Positive change that the community wants is exactly that.
I don't think this immediate neighborhood wants this in their midst. They've been vocal enough about it.
Unfortunately the ones who should be listening are ignoring them. Meetings, a petition, , emails, signs, phone calls, all from the surrounding neighbors- all ignored.
Watch it pass after the public hearing.
There's more to this than people think.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bman wrote:I believe the property was donated and the np corp now owns the property.
I understand that over 2/3 of the 9 million dollars required to build this has already been raised, and I believe it's all donation. This facility will be eligible for a number of large grants on an ongoing basis.
I wonder if anyone has noticed that the directors of this place stand to receive incredibly large salaries as directors, and what's not in salary will be disguised as other renumeration, as is so common with nps.

And, of course, its registration as a religious affiliate exempts it from property tax.

100% correct..........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Salaries of NP directors should be very easy to find. I am not so worried about individuals personally profiting. I believe that NP has a good reputation and has served the community for some time. They have helped many move on to better lives.
However, even though I live in a different neighbourhood, I feel for those directly affected and don't think that the location is right. If that piece of property is going to be developed, why not use it for residential housing consistent with the area? Move the Freedom Door facility closer to town centre where the buildings are higher.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Piecemaker wrote:Salaries of NP directors should be very easy to find. I am not so worried about individuals personally profiting. I believe that NP has a good reputation and has served the community for some time. They have helped many move on to better lives.

Non profit corporations can be extremely lucrative for those running them. Those who know the laws governing non profit corporations know exactly what I mean.
Some of the biggest non profits out there contribute the least.
There's no laws saying they have to contribute- only laws governing contribution of excess.
It's easy to make sure there's no excess.

I agree with peace tho. It should be downtown and that property be developed consistent with the local community.
Bailey63

Post by Bailey63 »

Freedom's Door is a withdrawal or detox method for addicts. Every piece of research I can find says it is dangerous. It is not recommended by the Health Canada, The BC Ministry of Health or Interior Health. Research has shown it to be more dangerous than no treatment at all. Scientific research is clear on this. In some cases the relapse rate is approaching 100%. Please Google "Detox is not the answer for opiate addiction" and just listen. The Canadian government is importing Suboxone and decriminalizing it for use in an outpatient program that is free of charge to addicts. You do not have to pay Freedom's Door $1200.00 a month for a 90 day inpatient treatment that only leads to relapse. Freedom's Door has no empirical evidence on their success rates. You only have to do the math to figure out how many relapses and overdoses we will have in a neighbourhood full of children with 50 men coming out of treatment or incarceration. The government has been researching this for over a year and looking at success rates in countries like Portugal, France and Switzerland. Portugal has gone from the highest incidence of opioid addiction to the second lowest the world. The twelve step program has been around since the early 1950's without any change. If you look around how can anyone believe it is successful. The government is offering an approach that offers the least amount of harm and will not abandon you if you relapse. This is not a matter of willpower or faith but brain research. Addicts cannot be cured in 90 days nor will housing them with other addicts afterwards for weeks or months. The government offers a treatment that is designed by medical professions for each individual person with monitoring and sustained psychosocial therapy for the addict and his/her family on a continuing and long term basis. No two addicts are the same and a relapse is seen as a sign of crisis in the disease and needs more focused, intensive treatment or a variation in approach which sends a message that they have your back and are a partner in your success. Freedom's Door will evict you and leave you floundering in a neighbourhood that is ill equipped to deal with overdoses. Naloxone kits are not something family households keep on hand. To Freedom's Door you are a failure. What a message to send to a person desperate for help. Why are we spending 9 million dollars on a building when it could be spent on a much more economical approach that has proven to work better and where addicts can actually function in society and even hold down jobs and pay for accommodation. Lets be clear, this building is not supportive housing. There are absolutely no amenities in this neighbourhood for addicts. They have to take a bus to an urban centre to even buy food. The only place to relax outside is a paved parking lot downstairs.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

and that's the truth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Bailey63 wrote:Freedom's Door is a withdrawal or detox method for addicts.

That is not the purpose of the new facility. Transitional housing is not something one lives in while one is detoxing.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... very-house

Many of us do not think such a transitional housing facility should be built there, but let's not make it sound even worse for the neighbourhood!
Bailey63

Post by Bailey63 »

My point is that it is in the transitional housing after detox treatment that the relapse occurs.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I think it's fair to say that pretty much all relapse happens after detox. Detox and supportive treatment work for some.
I do not know the success rate of Freedom's Door program. I'd imagine it's much like other treatment facilities.
They run a 12-step, faith-based (church) program. While that might not be yours (or my) cup of tea, there are other treatment models out there to access.
There are some treatment facilities that allow methadone to be used while receiving treatment. Not all addicts use opioids so methadone or suboxone isn't going to do a darn thing to help them.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Bman wrote:I believe the property was donated and the np corp now owns the property.

Why don't they want them in their neighbourhood? It's ignorance is why. One of my neighbours OD'd a couple of weeks ago. She was in her garage for 3 days before her body was found. I would much rather have a treatment facility near me than dead people.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

It is not a treatment facility.
It is "transitional housing".

Huge difference.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The two transitional housing places I've been in recently, like last night, are well run, clean. Closed circuit cameras, security locks to get in, had to show id. The problem is that this proposed one is just in the wrong place. That's it. Wrong area, too close to schools.

So sad when City Council just seems set to plow it through.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”