Freedom's Door 50 bed facility at Rutland & McCurdy Rd

Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Freedom's Door 50 bed facility at Rutland & McCurdy Rd

Post by Bpeep »

foodsmith wrote:When experiencing an OD, I have never had anyone wave me off while administering Naloxone.

Media will report the opinion is that yes, it does 'wreck their high', but if used appropriately when needed and for its intended purposes Naloxone is very welcome, in my experience.

I assume if they could wave you off, they wouldn't need your naxalone.
Lol.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

Exactly... That's where the sheer idiocy at the suggestion comes in.

It's like saying someone is angry I am ruining their death. :135:
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

foodsmith wrote:When experiencing an OD, I have never had anyone wave me off while administering Naloxone.

I would venture a guess that anyone youve had the pleasure of administering naloxone to either is oblivious and not in control of their faculties or is stone cold lifeless?

I think anything you choose to do for that individual at that point in time is done based on what you think they want. Whether they want you there or not is irrelevant.

Personally, i dont so much have an issue with the idea of jabbing someone with naloxone. Where the fundamental difference lay with me is the fact that while someone can choose to abuse their body with these kind of drugs, there are some out there that will take it a step further and keep pushing their limits everytime they shoot up becuase they know they have an option.

You dont need me telling you this but the debate here (for me) isnt weather people who carry around naloxone are wasting their time or suckers or whatever others may think - its, how far do you take it for those individuals who are clearly, repetitively abusing the naloxone option?

** I'll copy this to the "OD Solution" thread in order to say on topic **
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 25th, 2017, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 25th, 2017, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

foodsmith wrote:Exactly... That's where the sheer idiocy at the suggestion comes in.

I guess, you never know.

Part of you has to think that chances are, someone splayed out in a back alley somwhere probably wouldnt care weather theyre being revived.

Obviously if they end up at a place like Freedoms Door, you can at least expect that some are attempting to do the right thing
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

monroe wrote:
foodsmith wrote:Exactly... That's where the sheer idiocy at the suggestion comes in.

I guess, you never know.

Part of you has to think that chances are, someone splayed out in a back alley somwhere probably wouldnt care weather theyre being revived.

Obviously if they end up at a place like Freedoms Door, you can at least expect that some are attempting to do the right thing

You really think most ODs occur in some back alley somewhere?

Thank you... This frames the breadth of your knowledge on this subject quite well, friend.

Your response suggests a lot of reason for justifying a facility like the one Freedom's Door is proposing -- so people like yourself can begin to hopefully engage this population... Perhaps become a little educated... More informed... Not base everything on assumption.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Why so hostile? Chill out. Coming off like your jaded doesn't make you any more credible.
I was referring to ones in back allies. They could be anywhere; the park, your coutch, the beach, mall, airport, wherever.

I would imagine, the further you fall, the farther off the beatn track you end up. The alley comment was to refer to those who were completely lost.

FreedomsDoor is a great idea. Just not here, understand?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

monroe wrote:Why so hostile? Chill out. Coming off like your jaded doesn't make you any more credible.
I was referring to ones in back allies. They could be anywhere; the park, your coutch, the beach, mall, airport, wherever.

I would imagine, the further you fall, the farther off the beatn track you end up. The alley comment was to refer to those who were completely lost.

FreedomsDoor is a great idea. Just not here, understand?

agree, good idea ,just not the right place where they want to put it in rutland
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
al56kelman

Post by al56kelman »

Just curious, What part of town does our mayor live in?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

al56kelman wrote:Just curious, What part of town does our mayor live in?

What does where the mayor lives have to do with this?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Probably to suggest it would never be built in the Mayor's neighbourhood (that's a given).

Did anyone see that letter posted to the Letters page?

This is the wrong location
Contributed - Apr 28, 2017 / 7:53 pm | Story: 195742

I spoke at the April meeting regarding Freedom’s Door. I fully support what this organization is doing to help men dealing with addiction. I agree we have a desperate need in our society.

I picked up a young girl at a pharmacy in Rutland yesterday and drove her to a government facility on Dilworth. Her story was profoundly disturbing. She had all her worldly goods with her and was in desperate need of a roof over her head. She had slept out in the rain that night after leaving a place where the others were shooting up. She needed to get away. They were taking all her stuff. She had been clean a month and was desperate to stay clean. Her right hand was red and swollen. She had found a spot for the night under some stairs so she figured it was a spider bite. When she bent over you could see her torso was bandaged. She explained she had become addicted to drugs after being prescribed Oxycontin for pain after surgery. The surgery had been botched and she had been dealing with several attempts to repair the damage, including removing her gall bladder. I believed every word. When we got to her destination we dragged all her belongings out of the car and stacked them against the wall. The line up of twenty other lost souls was starting to move. A security guard said he would keep an eye on her belongings while she went inside. She gave me a big hug and thanked me for helping her as she turned and went inside. She never asked me for a thing.

My problems seem very insignificant to hers. As a member of the neighbourhood where this development is proposed, I do not see that listening to the concerns expressed by the residents negates the need to help victims like her. This isn’t an either or situation.

The opposition comes from a fear of having such a high density of men living on one property. This is a residential area of one and two storey homes on single family lots. The proposal for this development calls for a 4 storey commercial building filled with micro-suites. This is an efficient way of utilizing space. The Knights of Columbus donate the land in exchange for a new facility they do not have to maintain, and Freedom’s Door gets a valuable piece of land. For the Knights of Columbus it is a good cause for them to support and they are filling a desperate need.

But this is the wrong location.

In order to build this, they are needing to ask for a 4 storey commercial building that, according to our bylaws, belongs in an urban centre like the south Pandosy area. Downtown Rutland is an example of an urban centre. This will never become one unless all the relatively new homes are torn down to be replaced with other 4 storey buildings. Even if the land was rezoned to accommodate this proposal, it would not comply with the zoning regulations. The main floor has only 15% commercial, where it should be at least 90% according to city planning. The main floor is 63% residential and no residential is allowed on this floor. It has 51 micro-suites and the current bylaws only allow them in the downtown area and at the UBCO campus where high density tall buildings already exist.

But this is the wrong location.

There are no amenities for the tenants of this building. They have to take a bus to find a grocery store, pharmacy, health unit, library, doctor or dentist. The only place to relax outside is a paved parking lot. The YMCA is adjacent to two schools. There are no parks nearby. There is not enough private open space in the building plan for the number of units.

Fresh Start is a facility in Calgary that is about the same size -50 beds. It is only two storeys and is on a parcel that is over an acre in size. It looks like a townhouse development. It is also situated in industrial area with not a home in sight.

This is the wrong location in Kelowna.

What I heard at the meeting was, female after female saying please do not build it here. I beg of you. I bought a home here because it was an affordable family neighbourhood to raise my children. This is destroying everyone’s sense of security and no one believes that this building will solve any issues here with drug users in the neighbourhood. The relapse rate, is what it is, and no one can guarantee our safety unless they have a crystal ball. Two people on hand 24/7 to supervise 51 men seems a stretch.

This facility needs to be built, but not here. The residents who have lived in this area all their lives, feel as though Rutland has reached saturation point. I have spoken with the city and they do not have a total of exactly where all the supportive housing is located. Surely that is something to be considered if the intention is to distribute them evenly among all the neighbourhoods.

The only reason that this is an appropriate location for this development is that it is on a bus line. There are one and two storey large lot [RU1] subdivisions all over Kelowna that are serviced by buses. Even Crawford Estates has a bus line. Should we be placing 50 unit, 4 storey towers for recovering addicts in any of them?

With $9,000,000, Freedom’s Door can purchase 18 homes and accommodate far more individuals. Surely we can find a better solution that will serve the needs of these men and the neighbourhood. One does not have to be sacrificed for the other. Nimbies are created when a neighbourhood is infringed upon. We as humans do not like change, but we do adapt. Change can be positive or negative and why should we adapt to negative if it is not necessary.

Susan MacLeod

She has a very well thought out opinion. I can't help but agree with her, that is not the right place.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The mayors family owns property within blocks of this place.
Although it's quite secluded from it.
James59

Post by James59 »

I don't know if the mayor owns property in Rutland I am sure he doesn't he lives on Clifton and parent in in Glenmore. I wonder how many transition buildings are in those neighborhoods
James59

Post by James59 »

I'm sure the mayor only going to Rutland when he needs votes

Return to “Central Okanagan”