Rent a chicken...?

ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Rent a chicken...?

Post by ferri »

:200: Oh my word! I came in here thinking I was going to read about chickens and fell into a thread of puns! [icon_lol2.gif] I'm in heaven. hahaha

Personally I think it's a good idea. It'll give people that are yearning to own chickens an idea of how much work they are. :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Poindexter wrote:Why did the chicken cross the road?

To be rented. :135:

Somehow that just doesn't sound right.

Or to get the :cuss: away from the people that are renting it?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If you have a big garden, chickens are great at weed control. Chicken tractors are getting popular and easy to build and doesn't cost a lot of scratch.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

Anyone got a cow they want to rent me? I am tired of driving to Costco!
spooker

Post by spooker »

Our neighbours have chickens and ducks ... and bees ... no one complains ... if we're lucky we get the "egg-siting" duty of looking after their brood when they go on vacation ... pretty cool to have fresh eggs ... and costing it out they are cheaper than buying free-range eggs at the store ...

We need a reminder that we don't have to be completely at the mercy of commercial entities at all times ... building a bit of self-sufficiency is good for the psyche ... heck, if there was something sustainable to be gotten from Barney's offer of renting out his pigs (and if I had the room on my property) I'd think about it ...
paul93

Post by paul93 »

Could somebody please explain the city of Kelowna Bylaws regarding backyard chickens. Best I could find was that it was not legal on lots less than .5 acre. Has this changed?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

RVThereYet wrote:Or to get the :cuss: away from the people that are renting it?

fb20f29a0a934b0251457f5e1725c4e4.jpg
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Barney Google wrote:Queen, I remember you threatening to start this. :up:

Is this you? Lol

What a 'cockamamie' idea!

OMIGOD! It's not me or I'd be henpecked all day for causing more work around here. I'm afraid you're clucking up the wrong Chicken Coop Barney.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Fancy wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/165629/ ... s-for-rent

Queen K wrote:I'm gonna start my own Rent-A-Chicken biz.

Now the current story:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... en-in-town

I was pecking at the idea, admittedly but then my real chicken purveyor friend reminded me what a flock of problems chickens can be and we fly the coop too many times to really look after Mr and Mrs. Hennypenny properly.

So someone else has taken a peck at it have they. I might rent a chicken just see what the cat says.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Cranky Ol' Fart here;

I am opposed to farm animals being kept in urban/residential areas.

The reasons are vast and varied.

My primary, and pretty much only, concern is for the well being of the animals and not the wannabe starry-eyed farmers.

Having been on the receiving end of a few flopped 'farming' endeavours, 'rescuing' 'urban/residential' livestock has proven

that its not always in the best interests of the animals.

The 'renting' deal, I suppose is more tolerable than folks going out and buying.

One assumes (and we all know what that can mean) that, in this case, the Chicken Landlord/Renter would check

on his/her birds on a regular basis and would be responsible for exchanging broody or non-producing stock out

to ensure that the stock is not 'set free' and or 'repossessing' stock and equipment when the birds are not being looked

after properly.

Hummm...reminds me of a thread...lol..."Chickens left to die in the Bush"...or something along that line. :up:

Save a chicken...want fresh farm eggs? Support your local farmers...there are LOTS of fresh eggs for sale.

Wanna teach your kids about where their food comes from? Visit a local farm!

Recommended reading for Wannabe Purveyors of Poultry...

https://survivallife.com/4-human-diseas ... -chickens/

...a lot of folks don't know that chickens can, beside the above linked info., carry lice too!

I'm sure theres a few out there that have had to deal with head lice...lol

Centres for Disease Control and Prevention:

"...Owning backyard chickens and other poultry can be a great experience. However, children and other groups of people have a greater chance of illness from handling live poultry or anything in the area where they live and roam. Even handling baby birds displayed at stores can cause a Salmonella infection. ...."

"...How do I reduce the chance of Salmonella infection?

•Always wash your hands with soap and water right after touching live poultry or anything in the area where they live and roam. ◦Adults should supervise hand washing by young children.

◦Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not readily available.

Don’t let live poultry inside the house, especially in areas where food or drink is prepared, served, or stored.

•Don’t let children younger than 5 years, adults older than 65, or people with weakened immune systems from conditions such as cancer treatment, HIV/AIDS or organ transplants, handle or touch chicks, ducklings, or other live poultry.

•If you collect eggs from the hens, thoroughly cook the eggs.

Don’t eat or drink in the area where the birds live or roam. Like in a back yard? lol

My favorite...
Avoid kissing your birds or snuggling them, then touching your mouth.

•Stay outdoors when cleaning any equipment or materials used to raise or care for live poultry, such as cages or feed or water containers...."

https://www.cdc.gov/features/salmonellapoultry/
Last edited by Barney Google on May 8th, 2017, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I think it's a great idea for those who have no clue in how to raise backyard chickens and want to trial it before committing financially to something they may end up disliking. Rent a chicken started up in my area here in NS last year and it's been a big success.

:chicken:
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Barney Google wrote:Queen, I remember you threatening to start this. :up:

Is this you? Lol

What a 'cockamamie' idea!

Queen K wrote:OMIGOD! It's not me or I'd be henpecked all day for causing more work around here. I'm afraid you're clucking up the wrong Chicken Coop Barney.

Hummm...perhaps it was a different Queen K when commenting on...

Castanet May/2016:
http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/165629/ ... s-for-rent

"Queen K wrote:
I'm gonna start my own Rent-A-Chicken biz."

Thank you Fancy for your fast and expert researching...lol :up:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

paul93 wrote:Could somebody please explain the city of Kelowna Bylaws regarding backyard chickens. Best I could find was that it was not legal on lots less than .5 acre. Has this changed?

Nope. It's still .5 of an acre that is required to have chickens. https://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/P ... 421-82.pdf

That bylaw hasn't been updated in years though, maybe it's time for a refresh.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

For your reading amusement... :up:

Esquire:

My Huddled Masses...
My Neighbor Has Chickens. They Are Disgusting. What Do I Do?
http://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/news/a26109/huddled-masses-chickens/

Brooklyn Feed:
Why You Should Not Keep Backyard Chickens
http://www.brooklynfeed.com/2009/06/why ... -chickens/

BackYard Chickens:
My neighbors chickens are constantly in my yard ....
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/76477 ... in-my-yard
- Unknown
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

We're "empty nesters" and like it that way. :up:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Central Okanagan”