How many people are finding out they are NOT covered

AtticSalt

How many people are finding out they are NOT covered

Post by AtticSalt »

Just wondering how many others are slowly finding out they will not be covered by their insurance due to 'overland water' from recent flooding in Okanagan area...let the paper work begin for Provincial funding...hopefully this will help to offset most of the costs....just found out that we are NOT covered..guess I should have purchased that add on policy for overland water...
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: How many people are finding out they are NOT covered

Post by youjustcomplain »

AtticSalt wrote:Just wondering how many others are slowly finding out they will not be covered by their insurance due to 'overland water' from recent flooding in Okanagan area...let the paper work begin for Provincial funding...hopefully this will help to offset most of the costs....just found out that we are NOT covered..guess I should have purchased that add on policy for overland water...

Yes. Depending on where you live and the odds of overland water, it would have been a good idea if you're affected by this. :( I received notice in the mail a few months ago that RBC was now offering this coverage. Based on where I live, I opted out. I suspect many did the same, and many of those people are now wishing they had paid.

I've been in some of the flooded houses. It's awful the amount of destroyed basements and contents. Many affected are elderly in an old home.

All that said, it's amazing how well communities have come together to organize huge sand bag events. Hopefully no more lives are lost in this.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This is were reading all that fine print before signing the insurance policy i.e coverage is nil & void if property is in a known flood plain.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
AtticSalt

Post by AtticSalt »

live far from a flood plain...but close to a creek that when a slug of water comes from many sources all at once it decides to choose its own path....most of the year the creek doesn't have water in it...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

AtticSalt wrote:live far from a flood plain...but close to a creek that when a slug of water comes from many sources all at once it decides to choose its own path....most of the year the creek doesn't have water in it...

Most rivers & creeks in BC have been mapped with flood plains, its very important to do one research on the background of any water ways (on or near one's property).
Even if you think it could not possibly happen, better to careful. I do believe Provincial Lands Offices has that info.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

The Mill Creek Flooplain actually has it's own Bylaw at City of Kelowna with info and maps on the website.
https://www.kelowna.ca/city-hall/city-g ... lain-bylaw
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Mill Creek is on my back doorstep. I was warned about the "floodplain covenant" when I purchased my insurance.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A friends house backs onto Mill Creek as well and had the coverage. She is so glad she did now.
She has just sold the house and the new owners have not taken possession but say they are still interested. She's very lucky.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

I will never understand why people will willingly build/buy on a floodplain, and then scream and wail and gnash their teeth that someone needs to cover them for their own bad decisions. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? If you knowingly bought/built on a floodplain and your home and belongings gets destroyed by floodwaters, you have only yourself to blame, and you should have only your own wage/savings to correct the issue with.

Life insurance has suicide clauses. Property insurance should have floodplain clauses. Same bovine excrement, different pile.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
AtticSalt

Post by AtticSalt »

Rekalbs. .you are a simple man. ..not houses or properties that were affected are on...FLOOD PLAINES..mis-managed creeks (plugged culverts where there should not be culverts)and improper development in the upper slopes have resulted in slugs of water coming down in Meer minutes instead of a natural steady run off resulting in land sluffing into creeks creating shallow creeks. So you think that a house or property sitting on a hillside is on a flood plain?? No this is what insurance companies now call suface water...and yes you are right about buying proper insurance coverage..its just too bad that Aviva does not yet offer this type of insurance. ..yet...to farms. :130:
tw1nm3t3or

Post by tw1nm3t3or »

oh in Kelowna? None of you are. Should get on insurance and quickly.

Return to “Central Okanagan”