Kelowna has the slowest internet at the highest cost in BC

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Kelowna has the slowest internet at the highest cost in

Post by Glacier »

OldIslander wrote:
Glacier wrote:So I wuz browsing the fibre webpage
telusfibre.png

I didn't try hard to find the source of your price table, but it is out to lunch or very old. There is plenty of fibre in Victoria.
https://fibre.telus.com/westshore/availability/

That's not Victoria. At least not Victoria proper.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Sorry for the slow reply as I just got the message. But it is quicker and cheaper that Canada Post :biggrin:
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Glacier wrote:
OldIslander wrote:I didn't try hard to find the source of your price table, but it is out to lunch or very old. There is plenty of fibre in Victoria.
https://fibre.telus.com/westshore/availability/

That's not Victoria. At least not Victoria proper.

Glacier, that is a whiz-poor attempt at rebuttal.

Here in Victoria, there are many bedroom communities, but they are regarded as 'greater Victoria'. According to the map, there is fibre in Oak Bay, parts of View Royal, James Bay, Saanich, Langford, Colwood, and the Highlands. All addresses in these areas are "Victoria, BC". I also know that cable is available in areas not on this map -- I have friends in them with fibre.

Victoria "proper" is more commercial, so the greatest thrust of fibre installation goes into the bedroom communities, where the bulk of the population actually lives.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Well my grandma lived in Victoria until she died a couple months back, so yes, many people live there. In the context of my comment, I was referring to Victoria proper since Saanich, etc. have it. Sorry you misunderstood.

The fibre is going to businesses too. We have 250mbps at my workplace, and here in Vernon the entire business district has it available now.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Glacier wrote:So I wuz browsing the fibre webpage (because we just got our 250mbps connection), and wouldn't you know it, but you can't get 250mbps in Kelowna! Nope, you can only get a painfully slow 150mbps.

In addition, when you compare Kelowna to say Armstrong and Oliver where they also have 150mbps, it costs you $82/month in Kelowna, but only $75/month in Oliver, Armstrong, Williams Lake, Quesnel, etc.

You poor suckas are getting screwed!

telusfibre.png

Someone probably already said this but I pay $50/m until december then $80/m for another year for 150 with Shaw but had to sign a contract for that price. $65/m is what it averages out to. Not saying it's fair, but its definitely a lot better than it was less than a year ago, at least with them.

Telus just spent $$$ to the tune of billions upgrading their infrastructure and our area was literally one of the first to get all this fibre built out.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

StraitTalk wrote:Someone probably already said this but I pay $50/m until december then $80/m for another year for 150 with Shaw but had to sign a contract for that price. $65/m is what it averages out to. Not saying it's fair, but its definitely a lot better than it was less than a year ago, at least with them.

Telus just spent $$$ to the tune of billions upgrading their infrastructure and our area was literally one of the first to get all this fibre built out.

Well damn! I pay $85/month with Shaw for 150! They wouldn't give me the $50/m because I wasn't with Telus... I guess if I were smart, I'd switch back and forth every two years.
- Douglas Murray
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Glacier wrote:Well damn! I pay $85/month with Shaw for 150! They wouldn't give me the $50/m because I wasn't with Telus... I guess if I were smart, I'd switch back and forth every two years.

actually you will be paying regular rates after the 2 year period which is $100.

you might consider can-com.com, a shaw wholesaler, who has the 150 package for $70. their TV package is good too, except you have to buy their $199 tv box for each tv in the house.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

slowest moving internet for the slowest moving demographic

highest cost internet for the highest income demographic

coincidence?
[icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “Central Okanagan”