Should police be able to demand breath samples anytime?

Jonrox

Re: Should police be able to demand breath samples anytime?

Post by Jonrox »

Bsuds wrote:
Jonrox wrote:What_the, there's no reasoning with people like this who would welcome a camera in their home 24/7 monitoring everything they do because "they aren't doing anything wrong". They don't value their freedom or personal rights. It's sick and pathetic.

The topic of the thread and the poll that started it was about a Breathalyzer. Nothing about cameras in your home or anything else. Referencing the actual topic I agree with Police taking a breath sample if they feel it's warranted.

As to cameras in anyones home that is a completely different topic.

Bsuds, they don't even have to feel it's warranted. They can just do this to whomever they want, whenever they want.

What if they "feel it's warranted" to setup cameras in everyone's homes to catch domestic violence abusers? If you're not doing anything it's nothing to worry about, right? It will save lives and protect children.

It's not a completely different issue. The excuses people are giving justifying the forfeiture of their rights applies under many circumstances. The logic holds true and is likely even more justifiable with other crimes.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Chyren, I am well aware the police don't make the laws. I voice my opinion because I do not want to see the government slowly give them power to do whatever they please. Yes, we are far from them having too much power currently but there will always be the next law to pass.

The examples are not off topic, they are meant for people on the other side of the fence to see a different view point.

Growing up I lived next to a grow up, the cops knew there was one on my street. Did they search every house on the block? No they figured out who it was by studying the neighbors uninvasivly and found the correct house. No invasion of privacy or unjust reason for search.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

What this thread has shown by going "off topic" is just how many people out there could not function without government intervention in EVERY aspect of their lives AND defend government at the cost of their own privacy..........UNBELIEVABLE!
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Chyren wrote:Once again the conversation becomes anti-police instead of the issue at question.

Cops DO NOT MAKE THE LAWS. If you don't agree with it then talk to your Member of Parliament.

How does asking someone to blow into a breathalyzer equal searching a home or anything? Just another bunch of keyboard warriors venting about stuff that doesn't exist.

The point is, in my opinion, the standard for police to obtain a sample of breath is very low and I disagree that lowering it even further is necessary. The checks and balances are already in place and in BC the current laws have put impaired driving rates with the lowest in the world. Things are working.

As for the comment about "cops shouldn't be wasting time on getting people to blow because they should be getting drug dealers...."

wow. They do get drug dealers.

Everyone wants laws until they affect you.

This change in the law is unnecessary at first glance. It will get challenged in court and the results will be interesting.

How about people just stop drinking and driving its 2017 for gods sakes. :topic:

No, not anti police. But I have to ask this question. Have you had your personal legal rights subverted by an individual that was tasked to uphold them?

I have made my concerns to parliament.

Further reading your post I know the answer to my question. You haven't. and therefore do not know what it feels like. to have cuffs on, spend the night in jail, spend thousands on lawyers, stand before our peers or judge, saying you're innocent of any and all charges. Knowing full well that the officer was more concerned about closing the file that your life. And verdict so.

You sir, are wrong, and don't even know it, I'm not sure which is worse.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:
The topic of the thread and the poll that started it was about a Breathalyzer. Nothing about cameras in your home or anything else. Referencing the actual topic I agree with Police taking a breath sample if they feel it's warranted.

As to cameras in anyones home that is a completely different topic.

I disagree, its not a different topic - this is how the slippery slope starts. We keep giving more and more and more - all in the name of "safety" and "security".

If I'm weaving down the road, by all means, ask me to blow. If I'm walking out of a liquor store with a 6 pack under my arm - leave me alone.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Jonrox wrote:they don't even have to feel it's warranted. They can just do this to whomever they want, whenever they want

This is legitimate truth. While one spends the night in jail, the officer got paid and sleeps in his/her own bed.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Chyren wrote:Once again the conversation becomes anti-police instead of the issue at question.

Cops DO NOT MAKE THE LAWS. If you don't agree with it then talk to your Member of Parliament.

How does asking someone to blow into a breathalyzer equal searching a home or anything? Just another bunch of keyboard warriors venting about stuff that doesn't exist.

The point is, in my opinion, the standard for police to obtain a sample of breath is very low and I disagree that lowering it even further is necessary. The checks and balances are already in place and in BC the current laws have put impaired driving rates with the lowest in the world. Things are working.

As for the comment about "cops shouldn't be wasting time on getting people to blow because they should be getting drug dealers...."

wow. They do get drug dealers.

Everyone wants laws until they affect you.

This change in the law is unnecessary at first glance. It will get challenged in court and the results will be interesting.

How about people just stop drinking and driving its 2017 for gods sakes. :topic:

Here's the problem with "cops don't make the laws" - a few years back, there was a lady who, after a night of drinking called a cab. The bar closed, it was cold so she went into her car, started it to warm it up and sat there waiting for the cab. Cop shows up, charges her for "operating a vehicle while impaired" - no common sense used on behalf of the officer, which seems to be an alarming trend these days. If that makes me a "cop basher", so be it, I've been called that numerous times on these boards by the RCMP cheerleaders - it doesn't phase me one bit.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Everything that I'm saying is why I'd rather have my life taken by a drunk, than by a cop.

Like being eaten on the plains or seas, at least I'm giving back, not padding some ego centric little prick. Because they're the only kind that will subvert rights.

I've known cops. Professionally who've paid me cash, and roadside... And cuffed. There is a difference between them. and I respect them as human beings.

I do not trust organizations and the culture they recruit.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Here's the problem with "cops don't make the laws" - a few years back, there was a lady who, after a night of drinking called a cab. The bar closed, it was cold so she went into her car, started it to warm it up and sat there waiting for the cab. Cop shows up, charges her for "operating a vehicle while impaired" - no common sense used on behalf of the officer, which seems to be an alarming trend these days. If that makes me a "cop basher", so be it, I've been called that numerous times on these boards by the RCMP cheerleaders - it doesn't phase me one bit.
[/quote]

NO COMMON SENSE by WAY TOO MANY police officers today.....................you hit the nail on the head!

Quite a story about our RCMP today on the news............new topic coming.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Remember the one about a North OK man who needed more booze but knowing he had too much to drive , got his grand kid to drive him to the liqour store ? The kid had his "N " and got pulled over . The cop charged the passenger for being impaired while "instructing a learner " or something in the same idea.

In this case , a cop did INDEED make a law.. It's in the forums here somewhere .
http://globalnews.ca/news/1098456/watch-drunk-passenger-cleared/

Sorry you have to do an extra "click " on that , but I found it...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Once again I have proven my point. The post is about the issue of roadside breath samples being allowed to be random.

The last few posts have been about people disagreeing with me about "cops don't make the laws" as opposed to the issue the OP had.

If you actually read any of my opinions you see that I disagree with the proposed changes. I am not wrong in saying that if you have an issue with this change in law then contact your Member of Parliament. Don't vent about the "bad cop" that you met. That isn't the issue here.

This is not a defend or oppose the cops thread. Its a thread about whether or not you agree with the new proposed law.

Someone should start a "I hate the cops" thread so people can vent about it all they want.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Doesn't bother me at all. If I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't have anything to worry about.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Chyren wrote:Once again I have proven my point. The post is about the issue of roadside breath samples being allowed to be random.

I'm not sure where some of you are getting that this is "random".

What they're proposing isn't random sampling... they'll be able to test EVERYONE without any suspicion of wrongdoing and if you refuse the sample, you'll be arrested and it will be taken as an admission of guilt.

If a cop doesn't like the color of car you have (or if he's just bored), he can pull you over and sample you. And he could do it 10 times a day everyday and there's nothing you could do about it. Refuse once and it's off to jail for you. He wouldn't need a reason to do it either.

I'm all for getting drunk drivers off the road, but the precedent this sets is too dangerous. This is the wrong way to do it.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Chyren wrote:Once again I have proven my point. The post is about the issue of roadside breath samples being allowed to be random.

The last few posts have been about people disagreeing with me about "cops don't make the laws" as opposed to the issue the OP had.

If you actually read any of my opinions you see that I disagree with the proposed changes. I am not wrong in saying that if you have an issue with this change in law then contact your Member of Parliament. Don't vent about the "bad cop" that you met. That isn't the issue here.

This is not a defend or oppose the cops thread. Its a thread about whether or not you agree with the new proposed law.

Someone should start a "I hate the cops" thread so people can vent about it all they want.

You're a "newbie" .... I can see that in your post history AND by the fact that you have NO idea how long the "discussion" about how the law should get a free pass when trampling peoples rights just because "they " are the law and "they " are here to "protect" us has been going on ....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

You again seem to suggest I support the change in the law, and time and time again I have said I don't.

How many more times can I make it clear? The laws as they exist are there for a reason and decades of case law have shown it to be valid.

Let me once again state in plain English that I DO NOT support the change allowing random sampling of drivers.

For you keyboard warriors that overlook what my opinion is here's where the name "random sampling" comes from:

http://madd.ca/pages/impaired-driving/p ... h-testing/

The law was introduced as random sampling although now is more commonly known as "mandatory screening."

Again the best way to stop this whole issue is for people to stop drinking and driving.

Return to “Central Okanagan”